Weightloss and Alcohol

Options
So I know that alcohol is bad for weightloss because your body is too busy repairing itself to focus on weight loss. I do not have the willpower nor do I want to stop drinking. I don't drink very often/much. Usually 2-3 drinks every other weekend. Will this sabotage me I'm the long run?

Replies

• Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Not if you don't go over your total for the day. I have a drink (or two or three!) most days, and try and fit it into my calorie goal. Some days I go over so I compensate by going under another day.

ETA: For me it was a lifestyle change rather than a diet, so I decided that I wasn't going to give wine up permanently so I had to find a way to make it fit in my new regimen. For some people it's chocolate, others it's sweets, for me it's the wine!
  • feherd
    feherd Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a beer almost every night with dinner and I've been steadily losing for the last 101 days. As long as it fits into your calories you should be fine.

Also, I try to drink a lot of water afterwards to avoid the water retention in the morning for my weigh-ins.

:)
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I had a 12oz Amstel Light on Wednesday night and last night I had two glass of Rum n/ Diet Coke. Still down 1.4 lbs this week so no, alcohol will not stall weight loss as long as you are still at a deficit. :drinker:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight still enjoying beer and the occasional cocktail, probably 1-2 a weekend, with more on special occasions.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    2-3 drinks every other weekend is practically nothing. I was losing weight while drinking a liter and a half of rum a week. Now I'm in AA.

Have the drinks.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    So I know that alcohol is bad for weightloss because your body is too busy repairing itself to focus on weight loss.
    I don't know where you've heard this. This doesn't really make any sense.
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    you dont have to give it up, I only drink on Saturdays as long as you are still at a deficit it wont hurt your weight loss
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    So I know that alcohol is bad for weightloss because your body is too busy repairing itself to focus on weight loss.

Not sure about this but what will effect the weight loss is consuming the calories in the drinks. Even vodka and white wine (generally considered the 'healthy' drink options) are pretty high in calories. As long as you log your drinks same as you would with food and make sure you are continuing to eat at a deficit you should be fine.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You can still drink and lose weight, as long as you log everything and it fits in your calories. Since I've started loosing weight I've cut down on how often/much I drink, but I still make sure to fit in a few, because I don't want to completely cut it out, moderation is key here!
  • crfeen
    crfeen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this is kind of ridiculous hahah. I read it online somewhere but I'm hoping it's wrong :P
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You'll have issues with apparent weight loss since alcohol can dehydrate you a little, so it wreaks havoc with water weight fluctuations, but as long as it fits in your macros, alcohol won't impair your weightloss. Unless you're drinking heavily enough to get cirrhosis, your body doesn't need to repair itself. Have the drink (I plan on having a few beers tonight).
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Well, how quickly do you want to lose weight?

I still enjoy a few beers/glasses of wine/week. I log it all. I am not in a rush to lose weight, and it isn't falling off, but that's ok. I want to enjoy life and make a lifestyle change, not be a teetotaler for the sake of slimming down fast.

Just like everything else, moderation is key.

If you know you're going to a party, try and find a low-cal hard alcohol and mix it with seltzer and fruit. Make wine spritzers. Drink light beer. They'll offer a bit of calorie mitigation as opposed to full-calories cocktails, wines and beer. :)
  • lkbg45
    lkbg45 Posts: 3
    Options
    Just make sure that you count your drinks accurately. Most beers on tap in bars are at least 16 ounces - the serving size in the food log for most beer is 12 ounces. For mixed drinks, most hard alcohol is about 70 calories per ounce - but most pours in bars are at least 2 ounces. I think wine in the food log is often 5 ounces, but you will generally get more than that per pour in a restaurant. So, it's easy to underestimate when you drink.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think alcohol affects different people in different ways. Drinking makes me gain a load of weight so I quit altogether.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this is kind of ridiculous hahah. I read it online somewhere but I'm hoping it's wrong :P
    Yeah it is. Like the others said, alcohols are fairly high in calories so just log them accurately and you're golden. No need to worry about your body forgetting to lose weight. It doesn't lose weight because it wants to but because it has to so it's impossible for it to not do it when you're in a deficit.
  • ChrisUK70
    ChrisUK70 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Drinking is what has sabotaged my weight loss in the past this time I have quit so I can lose weight.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is metabolized different from other foods and beverages, in normal condition our body can get energy from proteins, vitamins or carbohydrate, and fats which are slowly digested and absorbed within the body system. However the digestive system will change its process due to presence of alcohol. Alcohol gives negative effect to your health, alcohol is not good if you are doing weight loss.
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    southern comfort is only like 45 cals per shot, i use to drink like 15 shots and then pass out. i end up skipping dinner or lunch but thats just me.

ANDDD.... u can chase with crystal light which is really low in calories :glasses:

i read that alcohol stuns ur metabolism and i really dont want that, i want to keep pressing on. i limit myself to drinking 3 times a month, i use to do it pretty heavily, but now ive calm down a bit.