Running at over 200 pounds in weight?

Options

Replies

• mrsdmiller74
    mrsdmiller74 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I weigh 263 and I have started a week ago. I walk at least 2 miles on certain days and I do run in between. I think you just have to listen to your body and don't over do it.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm over 300 and I've recently starting adding jogging intervals into my walking. My doc said to go for it and take it slow, if I start to hurt, go even slower. And my husband started running again a few weeks ago, he is around 220 and ran for 30 minutes straight yesterday. It can be done.
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I literally started it today and I have a recurring ankle injury. I'm around 230-240lbs.
    As everyone else has said get decent running shoes.

I'd been working out 3 times a week prior to my ankle flaring up and I bike a bit as well so though I'm a fat guy I have a little bit of cardio fitness. Do what you can and enjoy it.
    I got the biggest endorphin hit on the cooldown I practically floated home :)

Also, the stretching. Very much the stretching. Do it before and do it after. I'm terrible for not doing it but trying to manage an injury means I'm very concious of having to do it and the benefit is very real. This is an excellent resource for how to stretch:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Get out and get it on, you'll love it :)
  • smithj787
    smithj787 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm over 200, and while I can't do it for very long intervals (maybe a few minutes at a time with walking in between), running is my favorite activity. I use it as a double-duty activity: cardio and lung strengthening. I'm trying to help improve lung function - I'm a choir teacher.

The funny part is...since I started walking a few months ago, and started adding jogging intervals a week ago, my knee no longer bothers me, my breathing hasn't been as labored, but my shins kill me! I cut my workout short today because I started limping. I made an appointment to see my doctor to get advice on how to keep up with running but minimize or eliminate pain.

Mostly, I am going to agree with what is being said on this board - do what feels right and listen to your body. Using decent running shoes that are not worn out will prevent multiple injuries.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am ecstatic. Last week I was walking at a 28 mph pace. Yesterday, with adding just a few jog intervals I brought that down to 24 mph. Tonight, added more jog intervals, and without even trying, I brought it down to 22 mph. And I feel AWESOME!!! My feet hurt when I first started but after less than 1/10 of a mile the pain was gone. I had very little pain during this session. I started to get a stitch in my right side and remembered to watch my posture and form. The stitch subsided. I forgot to stretch before but I remembered to do so afterwards. I never thought this girl could enjoy jogging/running. My distance of being able to run is getting longer as well. I can't wait until I can do a mile without stopping to walk. I'm not going to push it though. I am going to do what everyone has said...listen to my body. Thank you all so very very much. This is just super great!!! Is this what is meant when someone uses the term "bitten by the running bug" cuz I sure do feel infected :D

*edited because I got excited and my brain was going faster than my fingers*
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at 266 lbs. I have run many races including 4 half marathons. Go at your own pace and listen to your body. Take necessary rest days. You can do it! I am still on my journey to get under 200.
  • roxanethree
    roxanethree Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was a little over 200 lbs when I started my Couch 2 5k. I've had a few times when my shins hurt and I had to take a few days off, but once my legs built up a little I didn't have problems. Run on softer trails when you get started if possible. Don't be afraid of taking breaks. I pushed myself a little hard and stressed when I'd miss a day, but looking back I know a missed day here or there doesn't matter.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am ecstatic. Last week I was walking at a 28 mph pace. Yesterday, with adding just a few jog intervals I brought that down to 24 mph. Tonight, added more jog intervals, and without even trying, I brought it down to 22 mph.

Jeeeeeeeeezus you guys are fast.
  • KatieLouWho19
    KatieLouWho19 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Started walking at 260lbs... Started Jogging/running at 245lbs! Screw whoever that person is! I am currently 204-6ish... and still running! I can now run a 5k without walking at all. So you can do it too!! :smile:
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I am ecstatic. Last week I was walking at a 28 mph pace. Yesterday, with adding just a few jog intervals I brought that down to 24 mph. Tonight, added more jog intervals, and without even trying, I brought it down to 22 mph.

Jeeeeeeeeezus you guys are fast.

Pretty sure it's 2.8 and 2.4 mph :smile:
  • DagobaGirl
    DagobaGirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a hard or fast rule on this. Just follow your body's cues and do what's right for YOU. When I first started running I was in the 230s range and it was honestly just too hard on one of my knees. I've always had weak knees, even growing up as an active child in gymnastics. So the impact of running took its tole on me. I'd recommend starting off slow and easing into and just be aware of how your feeling. I don't run anymore personally, I hit the pool for laps and the elliptical for cardio, but that's not to say you can't run just because you're a certain weight. Good luck! :)
  • goliath_2k
    goliath_2k Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Well I Already did it with around 190. The more important, is to hear your body. If you feel knee or ankle pain, you should avoid until you muscles can protect you joints better. If for any reason you fell pain, just walk at a fast pace, climb stairs, hills, whatsoever. It's not the same thing, a person with 200lbs that never exercised and starts to run, or a person with 200lbs that already does some kind of exercise and starts to run. ;)

P.S. sorry for any bad english or grammar, but it's not my home language
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So I used to run all the time in my twenties and I've been holding off personally until I'm closer to 200'ish just because I know even when I was at 135 lbs running still takes a bit of a toll. Mostly I just don't want to risk an injury now that would keep me from running later because I know running is one of my favorite skinny things to do.

For now I'm just doing lots of biking to melt off the pounds.

Honestly though the advice here is all good, good shoes, listen to your body and go slow. Don't get too caught up in the "No pain no gain" mindset because with running pain is normally a clue that there is a problem with shoes, stride or your body. If there are places you can run off concrete that helps a lot as long as it's a smooth even surface. Even a dirt track seems easier on me then a paved road but that might just be a personal thing.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    While I realize the type of jogging I do isn't near as hard as actual jogging, I do jog in place with my Wii fit. I do about 10-15 minutes, and it doesn't seem to bother my knees. It's more my calves that scream in pain, but it's a good pain.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    RGV2 may I ask what was your weight when you first began running?

I started running at 275. I was slow, it hurt, but I kept doing it. It stopped hurting as much, then it felt fine.

People whining about running being bad for the knees aren't considering form, which will protect from knee issues. Many will also spout that to keep you from doing what you think is right to change your life.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My friends son was about 300lbs and he started running daily. I'm not sure for how long n he lose all that weight. He looks great now. He looks like a totally different person.

I say GO FOR IT!
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I Started C25K at 220lbs, I do have some issues with one of my knees, put nothing that a knee brace doesn't take care of. I've never heard that people over 200lb shouldn't run.
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm 230 and struggle with moderate knee pain and chin splints so what I do is walk at a steep incline. That kicks my butt and I end up burning more anyway!
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    LOL@myself. Major correction. I was walking a mile in 28 minutes, brought that down to 24 minutes then down to 22 minutes to walk/jog a mile.Wow. I was really moving on *giggles*. Sorry about that folks. It was late and I was tired.
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    REad later :bigsmile: