Unconventional Exercise

Options
So, I had originally planned on doing a Jillian Michaels DVD after work yesterday. However, on my way home from work, I realized it was Thursday, and I actually had to do my grocery shopping. So, my question is...does pushing a cartful of groceries around the store for an hour count as exercise? Or am I just fooling myself?

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Well a lot of people will think different ways, but you did move. You were walking and pushing a heavy cart, so you were active. I think of it this way, if I was more active than my normal or really felt it then its exercise.

Even doing more walking than you normally do makes it exercise.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    So, I had originally planned on doing a Jillian Michaels DVD after work yesterday. However, on my way home from work, I realized it was Thursday, and I actually had to do my grocery shopping. So, my question is...does pushing a cartful of groceries around the store for an hour count as exercise? Or am I just fooling myself?

You're fooling yourself!

It's just normal human activity, I'm afraid.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's just part of your daily activity or NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis). I assume you did grocery shopping prior to joining MFP?
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes, it counts as exercise, but I wouldn't bother to log it or eat back those calories. I'm very bad at letting things like this disrupt my planned exercise routine, and I should really snap out of it!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    To me, that's just part of life. I only count what I mean to do as exercise.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't log it.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't log supermarket shopping because it just seems like one of those daily activities, I mean unless you were stocking up on really heavy cans and were stopping to do push ups every few aisles and jogging at the same time as pushing the trolley!?
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Fooling your self. I agree and wouldn't count anything that you do on a normal bases or part of your daily activity. I think that how people end up eating too many calories. They count things that are just part of daily activity.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    How often do you do it? Do you exert yourself while pushing that cart? Does it challenge you?

If it's regular routine for you, it's not counted as exercise. It just so happens to have elements of exercise.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Unless your HR gets high and you sweat, then don't log it. It'll be minimal calories anyway.
  • paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't count the actual shopping but I walk to the grocery store and back (40 mins each way). Toting home five bags of groceries is pretty hard work! Although I am cooking for myself so there may be less than you would have to carry. If possible try walking/jogging to the store and if you have too much to carry get someone to pick you up. Its a great way to sneak in some extra exercise.
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    On the shopping cart deal-Would it be considered exercise if I park the furthest away from the store? when I was in my 20's that is how I kept my weight off-I did no other exercise
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set to "sedentary", so if i end up shopping for more than an hour, i count it. I log it as "walking, slow pace, 2 miles per hour".
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Unless you're doing squats with cases of water and lunges with milk jugs, no. If you are, we need proof!
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Unless you are pushing the cart full of groceries uphill all the way home or take the wheels off the cart I wouldn't count it as exercise.
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set to "sedentary", so if i end up shopping for more than an hour, i count it. I log it as "walking, slow pace, 2 miles per hour".

That just seems crazy to me, no offense. Do you eat those calories back then?
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Does the cart have wheels? If so, then no.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, this time I have to say you're fooling yourself. Now if you had decided to do a deep cleaning of your whole house, I'd say that could be used as true activity but just your everyday grocery shopping....sorry that's a no go.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I would describe it as "Activity" Activity is awesome. In some ways, living a lifestyle where you are active throughout the day (never sitting for more than an hour) trumps gym time. "Active" is a huge tool in combating the metabolic slowdown that comes with weight loss - several of my friends still eat the same amount of calories just because they are moving more throughout the day.

I wouldn't log it and eat back the calories, however.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    meh I wouldnt count it unless it was a far bigger and longer shop than I normally do, same with cleaning I only count it when im doing a big gut out