Running at over 200 pounds in weight?

Options
124»

Replies

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    LOL@myself. Major correction. I was walking a mile in 28 minutes, brought that down to 24 minutes then down to 22 minutes to walk/jog a mile.Wow. I was really moving on *giggles*. Sorry about that folks. It was late and I was tired.

I was just having a little fun at the expense of your typo. :)

I think what you're doing is awesome. I'm of the belief that walking is a great form of exercise, walking fast is even better. Continue doing it until you can make it into a run (even for short distances).

I had it far easier than you... when I started, I was 180 and all I did was walk at lunch during work and reducing my calories. I got myself a fitbit and made sure I was doing 10,000 steps in a day. The first 20-30 lbs came off very quickly and easily. After that, It just became natural to move from walking, to jogging, to running.

Let your body be your guide. If you experience pain, try to be honest in terms of whether or not it's your muscles being sore or if it's joint/hip/knee problems (and if that's the case, go see a doctor). Otherwise, push yourself and you'll be amazed at what your body is capable of. Don't let any rule like "no running over 200lbs" be your guide. That's just silly.
  • jirwin323
    jirwin323 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I believe the CK25 app takes the WALK/RUN approach were you warm up for 5 minutes walking, run for a minute/walk for a minute. Gradually you start to run longer and the time walking is reduced.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I just read, on this site in a running group, where someone had read that if you are over 200 pounds you should not be jogging/running because it is too hard on the joints. I need to know if this is true because last night I started adding in 30 minutes jogging intervals with my walking routine. I am 270 pounds in weight. I want to start the C25K program soon but don't want to risk injury either. Please advise>
    I don't know that weight is necessarily an issue, but you may want to have a bone density test and it's always advised to talk to your doctor before starting a new exercise routine.

Many larger people run just fine, but it can present its own issues in some cases.
  • Texusmc
    Texusmc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    considering that soldiers often have to PT while carrying/wearing 80+ pounds in gear/body armor/etc....and obviously the "average" military member would be > 120 lbs bodyweight...

there are very small/light people who can't run due to joint pain & there are people who are 200+ pounds bodyweight who it doesn't bother one bit.

give it a try; just start slow (low mileage) and see if it bothers you or not.

also worth making sure you're wearing shoes that are very supportive/properly fit.

just my $0.02

avg military wt is 175lbs. that is avg the ht at 5'10" I walked out of boot camp for the Marines at 175 and 6' ...put on 10 lbs right after and kept that healthy wt for the first 8 yrs in. then went to 195 for about the next 6-7...then crept up to 200-205 till the last 2-3 yrs..then it was about 210.... my gear was around 80 lbs (you are correct) but my pack was 100-120lbs..
    ran 3-5 miles (up until the last few yrs) 4-5 days a week for about 45 weeks a yr depending on training, weather and deployments.
  • Texusmc
    Texusmc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    def start slow... and then build up
  • msphyl46
    msphyl46 Posts: 49
    Options
    I started running every morning until last week. I ended up with peroneal tendonitis. I'm fighting to get my ankle healed. Just listen to your body and if I was you I would try to ease into it and make sure you add some strength training for your ankles and knees because if you haven't been do these type of exercises it make be hard on your joints. I'm planning to run a 5K but when my ankle heals I will definitely do things different. Make sure you have some really good running shoes and don't over do it. Blessings to you on your journey.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I ran my first mile non-stop when I was 350lbs, and I ran a half-marathon this past October at 245lbs.

Like other people have said, start slow and listen to your body. I did many miles of just walking and then walk/run combo before being able run that first mile. It was a slow mile, but I still ran the whole way.

Make sure that you invest in a good running shoe. The heavier you are the better a shoe you need, and the faster you will kill them. Even at 245lbs, I get maybe 150-200 miles out of a pair of running shoes before the cushioning is shot and I need to replace them.
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm 244 pounds (started running at 256), and I have been running a couple times a week since the beginning of the month. My joints aren't feeling any worse than they did before I started working out. In fact, they're feeling better! My ankles used to kill me after a day at work (I work on my feet all day on a hard, concrete floor). Once I had the chance to sit down after work, it hurt to stand back up. I'd walk with a waddle a little bit until my ankles warmed back up to walking.

Since I started running, that doesn't happen anymore.

If you want to start running, I say go for it! Just pay attention to how your body is feeling about it. If you find that you are experiencing any unusual pain in your joints, then lay off of it. But you'll never know until you try.

I haven't been doing the C25K program specifically, but I have been doing something similar. I've been introducing myself to running in intervals. At the beginning of the month I started out doing a 5 minute walk as a warmup, then I'd jog for 1 minute and walk for 2 minutes, alternating between the two for about a 15 minutes. Now, just a few weeks later, I do my 5 minute warm up and I jog for 3 minutes (at a faster pace, too) and walk for 2 minutes, and alternate between the two for a half an hour. I've even had a few days where I was feeling especially good and I just jogged for 10 minutes straight!

Running is so great, and I find it so much more engaging and effective than the forms of cardio I've done before. I used to stick to the stationary bikes or the elliptical machines because I figured at my weight that's all I could do. They both bored me so much, and I dreaded working out. I'm so glad I started running instead. Someday I hope to run a marathon.

Do your thing, girl! Find what works for you. If it's running, don't tell anyone tell you that you shouldn't do it, unless they're your doctor.
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You folks ROCK!!! Thank you so much. I just started walking a little over a week ago. Finally worked my way up to a full mile comfortably. Last night, I added a few 30 second jogging intervals and today my legs are sore but nothing intolerable. My plan is to walk with the added 30 sec intervals until I get up to 3 miles comfortably then I will start the C25K program and go from there. My first major goal is to do a 5K in October of this year. I will turn 55 this Halloween and that will be my gift to myself. I plan to take this slow and easy and listen to my body. I may run like a turtle in molasses but hey, if I keep plugging along...I WILL get there.

This sounds like a very doable plan and timeline! I'm 230 and I just have to pay closer attention to my knees, but it's definitely doable. I was starting to second guess myself and think I needed to lose more weight before trying to run some more, so I'm glad I came across your post! Anything is possible! WHOOP! You will get there!! :D:flowerforyou:
  • salvaje913
    salvaje913 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started off by walking 2-4 miles every day back in January @ 310 lbs. Granite I tried to push myself to walk faster everyday. Early April I started a C25K Plan that Endomondo gave me where I was around 275 lbs. Since April I have been interval training (jog/walk) 4 days a week since April.

Over time I have become less sore and I feel that my joints are stronger. I am sure some of that is the additional weight I have lost throughout the time. I make sure I stretch well and I try to listen to my body. If I am overly sore I may wait until later in the evening to run or I may hold off until the next day.

I have a partial tore right Achilles tendon from drunken escapades over a year ago. The doctor had me go through PT to stretch and strengthen it because surgery is not needed for me and if I did my weight loss efforts would have been impacted. So even with a weaker right ankle I have been able to run from 275lbs to 250 lbs (where I am at today). I tell you when I run I feel even better and not as sore for not as long.

Get out there and take it slow. Walk the entire time if you have to. When walking gets too easy start jogging more and more. You need to determine if something is harmful to you.
  • somuchfattitude
    somuchfattitude Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I completed my first triathlon at 230lbs.