Desk job is destroying me, time to fight back

Options
Hi there! I am a 25 year old mother of one. I have always been thick and hung around a size 14-16, but I was comfortable with my size and who I was. Although I was higher than most on the scale, I was athletic and muscular. At my lowest in 2009, I was 180 and in great shape. I was happy with myself, outgoing. About 3 years ago I landed a great job at a local police department as a communications officer (dispatcher). Having a desk job, I don't get as much exercise as I should. I slowly began gaining weight. I had hit 240 by Aug 2012 and to my surprise found out I was pregnant. My weight stayed manageable until around the 8 month mark. I gained a total of 40 pounds. Now it seems harder than ever to bounce back. This just isn't my body, and I'm definitely not happy with it. I've basically gone into a hidden depression and I'm not enjoying life as I should be at this age. I do enjoy life and living, especially for my son, don't get me wrong. I just tend to hide in the corner a bit more than usual. Now that I think about it, I've actually let my appearance drift as well. I don't take the time to put on makeup or fix my hair most of the time. My boyfriend says I'm fine the way I am, but let's be real. He's only saying that because he loves me. All I'm looking for is a chance to love myself again. What better time than now, before I end up having another child and going from the size of a van to the size of a bus.

Now, I have a job at a different police department working 4 days on and 4 days off. Ah, such a great time to start getting that exercise in, right? Maybe, if I can find the energy and motivation. Sheesh! It's also difficult to get 3 meals a day during times that I'm at work those 12 long hours.

Most of the time I grab a snack on the way out the door or stop and grab a quick meal (biscuit) at a fast food joint. I know this needs to stop. When I have money in my pocket I also tend to spend it at fast food restaurants during lunch. Terrible, I know.

Dinner isn't always so bad. Also on my off days we try to eat a variety of meats and veggies, along with a few fruits to snack on. Plus I'm usually busy running around with my one year old. I sometimes have to stop and make myself eat something.

I know what I need to do and how to do it, the problem is that I'm just not doing it.

That brings me to this site. I've signed up before, but I've never utilized the tools and information. Now, I'm setting my goal to lose 100 pounds total with a short-term goal being 10 pounds a month. This begins immediately. Any form of motivation or success stories from anyone else having been in similar shoes is greatly appreciated! I can do this!

Replies

• nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Great to meet you! I also work a desk job, but do so from home... which is almost worse, since I don't have many reasons to leave the house. Or at least, I didn't. I made that change just by finding ways to motivate myself to get out more. :)

I tried this weight loss "thing" a few times before as well, and this is my third, but as they say... third time's a charm! I found ways to motivate myself, including but not limited to a Fitbit (it's a fantastic little motivator) and joining some challenges here on MFP.

Please feel free to friend if you'd like. Know that you CAN do this and you WILL!
  • kmmalone14
    kmmalone14 Posts: 10
    Options
    Well thank you! Nice to meet you as well. Yeah, desk jobs are the worst. We recently had our area remodeled and we are able to electronically lift and lower our desks. I've been utilizing that and letting mine up to standing position for at least 30 minutes a day! It's a bit distracting (I tend to do little dances without realizing it), but I guess every little bit helps! WE can do this ;)
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Well thank you! Nice to meet you as well. Yeah, desk jobs are the worst. We recently had our area remodeled and we are able to electronically lift and lower our desks. I've been utilizing that and letting mine up to standing position for at least 30 minutes a day! It's a bit distracting (I tend to do little dances without realizing it), but I guess every little bit helps! WE can do this ;)

That is pretty awesome! I do little dances whenever I can, lol. I do not have a standing desk, but I try to look at the clock every hour or so to get up and do a jig or something. :)
  • nlowell519
    nlowell519 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also work a desk job and yes it is hard to get up and move like we should. I recently purchased a Jawbone up that tracks my steps and can sync to myfitness pal. What and eye opener.. I know am finding ways each day to move more. It is hard being tied to a desk but our health is worth it!!! Welcome to journey to good Health!!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    there are some short mini exercise bikes made to fit under desks. maybe useful? the one i had was too tall - i'd hit my knees - but there's a pricy one on amazon that says it's only ten inches tall.
  • marchellaz
    marchellaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too. But before my desk job I was a manager at a chocolate store..we were allowed to eat as much as we wanted. I took advantage of that. At the desk job I found that telling everyone I am on a diet keeps me accountable and I dont want to fail. I drink water when I am bored. I take quest bars with me. I watch them eat their good food and pretend its me haha :)
  • JohnIVC
    JohnIVC Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I left a restaurant job 7 years ago, was already having the weight creep up and then the desk job had translated to another 35 lbs. Started MFP 102 days ago and have shed 27 of those pounds!!!! Almost back to where I was 7 years ago. 28 more to go to the first goal before reevaluating if 220 is good on my 6'3 frame. I have made it a point to schedule the gym in before my work day because when I get home I just don't have the energy. I also preplan my meals, shop once a week at the grocery store and take 1/2 hr the night before work to prep my meals. Int he beginning it was tough, but once things started to roll, I got on board and love seeing the lbs shed, having to add 2 holes to my belt and pants that fall of my waist now. Best of luck on the journey!
  • JohnIVC
    JohnIVC Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too. But before my desk job I was a manager at a chocolate store..we were allowed to eat as much as we wanted. I took advantage of that. At the desk job I found that telling everyone I am on a diet keeps me accountable and I dont want to fail. I drink water when I am bored. I take quest bars with me. I watch them eat their good food and pretend its me haha :)

Good point on the water, I keep water at my desk and usually put back 72 to 96 ounces of water which also gets me out of my desk for washroom breaks!
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too ... 9 hours everyday at front of the computer ... but I manage to eat healthy and work out at home :)
    it can be done
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    I have a desk job too ... 9 hours everyday at front of the computer ... but I manage to eat healthy and work out at home :)
    it can be done

Same here.....it can be done.
  • emz247
    emz247 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the other commenters, gadgets such as the Fitbit or Jawbone are a great idea. I got a Fitbit one as an early birthday present. Its small so i can have it in a pocket or clipped to my bra and it syncs with my fone so its really easy to check my progress throughout the day. The stickers it awards are a nice wee reinforcement that you are doing well. I have a desk job too, thanks to the fitbit im now taking the stairs more and doing extra laps of the office during the day to get myself moving and get my step count up. Since i got it i've lost 3 pounds. Best of luck on your journey of self love! I'd also recommend following some self love groups on instagram like honorcurves, they really help give you a positive boost when you are feeling down and demotivated.

Emma x
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Desk job here as well so I can totally relate. If I dare tell my guys here that Im on a diet, they purposely torture me with everything they bring in then LOUDLY proclaim "oh nevermind! shes on a diiieettttt!" and fan the smells of whatever theyre eating my way. Sitting at a desk, I mentally feel the need to be munching on something throughout the day. Im not even truly hungry most times, its all mental. I have as of late, started taking my breaks and walking around the covered ledge of our building to get moving and also distract me from munching. 11.5 laps = 1 mile. Ive been walking the 1 mile at least 3 days a week but plan to up it to more next week. Im also guilty of hitting the drive through or elsewhere at lunch. If id take the time to prepare my lunches at home, Im sure Id be staying within my goals a little better and at the same time cushioning my bank account!

Good luck!
  • kmmalone14
    Options
    Thank ya much! :wink:
  • cjaneplay79
    cjaneplay79 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Welcome!!!
    You're on the right track! I can't wait to see the RENEWED you. This site has really helped me stay on track and most importantly to stay accountable. I know you can do it!!!! Good Luck :-)
  • kmmalone14
    Options
    I also work a desk job and yes it is hard to get up and move like we should. I recently purchased a Jawbone up that tracks my steps and can sync to myfitness pal. What and eye opener.. I know am finding ways each day to move more. It is hard being tied to a desk but our health is worth it!!! Welcome to journey to good Health!!

Thank ya much! :wink:
  • kmmalone14
    Options

Chocolate...my weakness haha. That's great, maybe I should do that. Hopefully it won't freak anyone out while I'm staring at them drooling over their food :ohwell:
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well, I try and get up once and hour and walk around, stretch a little. If you are tied to the phone all day like me then a wireless headset is a good investment. I can walk around our building while on long calls, conference calls or whatever.
  • kmmalone14
    Options
    it can be done

Oh, I'm positive it can be done...I'm just on this lazy streak I need to get my butt up and do something with my off days AT LEAST...but I'm on my way. I just started today, so here we go...
  • hill2423
    hill2423 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I feel as if your story is my story. I recently had a baby and gained 40lbs and after 3 months haven't lost half of it. I actually gained 5 lbs. I too work a desk job and recently starting doing squats at my desk when I'm not that busy. I take the long way to the bathroom now, so I am trying to stay active and gain some motivation. Good luck to you!! You can add me if you'd like hill2423.
  • kmmalone14
    Options
    I have a desk job as well, I try and get up once and hour and walk around, stretch a little. If you are tied to the phone all day like me then a wireless headset is a good investment. I can walk around our building while on long calls, conference calls or whatever.

DEFINITELY not able to get up and walk while on a call. We do have wireless headsets, but if I were to get a 911 call it would be difficult to dispatch fire, ems, and police to a call haha. We do have a gym downstairs that we are able to use. I'm going to do my best to make my way down there, using the stairs of course, and hop on the treadmill during my lunch hour! I guess I need some of those energy packets to put in my water. Maybe that'll help me to get started...:ohwell: