Is my trainer starving me??

Options
Hi all :)

So let me give background first:

I used to weigh about 190 lbs (size 12-14) and the past three years have been eating healthy & exercising. I had the help of a trainer and also trained myself afterwards. Since then I dropped 40 pounds and 8-10 pants sizes. Before going to my new trainer I was a size 2-4 at around 146 pounds. I am relatively petite at 5'2'' and I have noticed that I gain muscle quite easily.

My wedding is this October and I wanted to get a new trainer because I noticed myself getting a bit out of shape. I started with her in May and she has been good but her diet is VERY DIFFICULT. I did drop 5% body fat with her and 7 pounds.

But I find it extremely hard to stay on her plan. I have huge increases in appetite, especially on days that I strength train and when I do cardio. This often leads to a binge/overeating which is funny because I feel like it is just how a person would normally eat.

Everyone tells me her plan sounds crazy because she initially put me at only 1100 Calories, and she wanted me to "train cardio every day and burn 800-1000 calories." I told her I track on my fitness pal and I asked her if I should eat my calories back. She told me NO, that I absolutely must NOT eat my calories back, and that *in order to raise my metabolism* I have to eat 1100 calories and burn 800-1000 a day.

I thought she sounded crazy (which is probably my fault for sticking with her) but I decided to give it a try. This is when I initially lost the 5% body fat in a month and I believe it was most likely a shock to my system because I hadn't lifted weights in a few months. It took from April to June for me to lose 7 pounds and I know it is fat that I lost, which is good. But I believe if her diet wasn't so crazy strict and her cardio so demanding I would have lost a greater amount with higher calories!

She put me on 1200 for some time because "I was getting hungrier between meals". But every time she assessed me although I was gaining muscle "my metabolism keeps dropping" (which duh, doesn't it drop slightly the more weight you lose?). So the last assessment I had with her three weeks ago I weighed in at 139 and gained more muscle but "my metabolism is still low" so she "put me back at 1100 calories to try to raise it."

Um, something just seems really wrong about this. I want to check with everyone to make sure I am not delusional because I really am thinking about quitting with her and increasing my calories, doing more moderate cardio and sticking with strength training. I feel as if I could lose more weight in a healthy way without having ridiculous binges and spikes in my appetite because there are no calories for me to consume at all yet I burn a crazy amount.

Because of her regimen I honestly have felt burnt out all this week and last and haven't done any cardio or stuck to her diet. I have been eating out and gained water weight (~5 pounds) and feel very down about it. My old trainer used to put me on 1800 calories a day!

I am 5'2'', and now weigh at 139 pounds at 29% body fat. Is 1100 - 1200 calories without net even sensible for me or is she starving me? I am convinced that weight loss should NOT feel this hard, even if I weigh less than I did before.

Any help/advice would be appreciated :( I don't think I would like to continue with her anymore but I want to keep losing body fat. I just don't know what to do with calories anymore.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer. This one is obviously clueless.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

^^^This

(and no one "gains muscle easily". It's extremely hard....for guys, exponentially tougher for women)
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    time to find a new trainer. the level you are eating at would be appropriate for someone who doesnt exercise at all
  • NadaHamade
    NadaHamade Posts: 30
    Options
    Thank you! Her exercises are good but I feel like she has no idea what she is talking about as far as nutrition.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Her exercises are good but I feel like she has no idea what she is talking about as far as nutrition.
    if thats how you feel then why not stick with her and just ignore her dietary advice
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Your trainer has no idea what she is talking about and you should fire her. And if she has a boss or supervisor, you should talk to them and let them know what she is telling people. That calorie count plus exercise and not eating back calories is dangerous.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Of course you feel burned out! That's really low in general, let alone for that level of activity.

How is she measuring your "metabolism"?

It's also suspect that she's telling you that you are gaining muscle. There is no change you're gaining muscle on 1100 calories a day. In fact, you're likely losing it.

I'd find a new trainer if I were you - or, if you like your work in the gym with her, stick with her for that but let her know you are following your own diet plan and are looking to her only for exercise advice and help.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    agreed with everyone else, get a new trainer.
  • NadaHamade
    Options

^^^This

(and no one "builds muscle easily")

Yeah, I take that part back lol, it is difficult to build muscle.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Your trainer should not be telling you how many calories to eat.

Get a new trainer that is not an idiot

QFT. Trainer = exercise advice and guidance. It is outside of their job description to give dietary advice (unless they are also a registered dieticians--but only if).
  • NadaHamade
    Options
    Of course you feel burned out! That's really low in general, let alone for that level of activity.

How is she measuring your "metabolism"?

It's also suspect that she's telling you that you are gaining muscle. There is no change you're gaining muscle on 1100 calories a day. In fact, you're likely losing it.

I'd find a new trainer if I were you - or, if you like your work in the gym with her, stick with her for that but let her know you are following your own diet plan and are looking to her only for exercise advice and help.

What she has been doing is measuring my body fat with calipers and then making her own calculations. I honestly don't know what formula she is using for my metabolism. I have noticed more definition but I'm starting to suspect it's loss in water along with muscle or something more realistic like that.

I think I may just quit with her. She kept promising to raise my calories the more "my metabolism increases" but apparently it won't at all on her plan.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It's pretty doubtful you'd have lost more weight by eating more calories, but if you're not happy with your trainer, changing is probably a good idea.
  • NadaHamade
    Options
    Your trainer has no idea what she is talking about and you should fire her. And if she has a boss or supervisor, you should talk to them and let them know what she is telling people. That calorie count plus exercise and not eating back calories is dangerous.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Thank you for the helpful links :) The funny thing is her boss trained HER originally so I think the entire gym has this stupid mentality towards nutrition.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    finish your sessions with her but ignore her nutrition advice then get out of there. As one guy on here always says, "If you can't do this for the rest of your life then it is wrong!" Eating shouldn't be a diet, it is a lifestyle. Your body is in starvation mode. You MUST have fuel to workout and lift weights. Some trainers truly are idiots!
  • NadaHamade
    Options
    finish your sessions with her but ignore her nutrition advice then get out of there. As one guy on here always says, "If you can't do this for the rest of your life then it is wrong!" Eating shouldn't be a diet, it is a lifestyle. Your body is in starvation mode. You MUST have fuel to workout and lift weights. Some trainers truly are idiots!

Yes! Thank you! I have been thinking of doing this as well. I just can't see myself eating this level of calories for the rest of my life. Her exercises have become difficult and I find myself losing stamina as she increases weights. And she thinks it's because "I'm not eating every three hours." Although I am. It is frustrating.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Is it even possible to "measure" metabolism?

You need to ditch her nutrition advice - if you like her workouts you can keep working with her on that but go with your gut, if you feel uncomfortable with her nutrition plan than don't follow it. She works for YOU - not the other way around.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Grinding a 1000 calorie burn of cardio daily while consuming less than 1000 most days will do precisely the opposite of increase your metabolism.

A lot of gyms just want to gratify their customers so they'll continue to do business. The majority of their clients don't realise how daft it is.
  • NadaHamade
    Options
    It's pretty doubtful you'd have lost more weight by eating more calories, but if you're not happy with your trainer, changing is probably a good idea.

It wasn't really eating more but it was more of eating my net calories I think. I haven't been eating net at all because she told me not to. So I think I will change to someone that would actually encourage me to eat my calories back :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Can I eat at a 20% deficit to TDEE for the rest of my life? (Not counting dying from lack of food.) Does that mean it would be wrong for me to do so for some period of time?

Her body isn't in starvation mode.