It just isn't adding up for me?

Options
I just don't get it.
I'm 5'7 woman
34 years old
workout 45 minutes about 4 times a week
240 lbs wanting to get back to prebaby weight of 170.

The nutritionalist I went to said I needed to take the weight I want to be 170 and multiply times 10 to give me 1700 and then add half of that to get my calories I burn just living and breathing. So that's 2,550.
Then they say to add the number of calories you burn working out (heart rate monitor says 350 on most days) so i'm at 2900.
Then to get a deficit, multiply that by .20% to get 580 which i then minus out of 2900. That number is 2320 the number of calories I need to eat a day to get to my goal weight of 170 I started with. Ok that makes sense to me.

But when I go in here and put my info in, it has me eating like 1,200 calories. I know I can't survive on that. I know that is not logical for a 240 lb woman who exercises (boot camp) and I try to go in manually and put my numbers like 1650 net on days I don't workout and maybe 1750-1800 on the days I do, but it keep changes it or says i'll only lose like 1.2 lbs.

I'm confused.

If it were you......nice people out there......if you were going to go in custom and put in the info needed, what would you suggest I put in? I'm so lost on this.

Replies

• mmelaniewalters
    Options
    the 1200 is pre exercise ..as soon as u log in exercise done , it gives you more calories..and expects you to use them !. hope that helps :)
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything but:

What did you put your "Daily Activity" level at in your profile?

If you said "Sedentary" you need to add your exercise calories on each day that you exercise. As they are not included in the total given by MFP.
  • LadyLiz82
    Options
    Yes. 1200 is right. but when you exercise and add your calories burned to your exercise diary you get those calories back to eat. so at the end of the day if you burn 1000 calories you can actually eat 2200 calories because 1000 of them will be burned from exercise.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

Sorry but I can't help you because the info you've been given sounds really confusing.
    I tend to just take the daily calories that I am allowed here and just try to always go under them even if I have excercised.

Hope someone else has some better info for you.

Best of luck.
    Brenda
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This is from several posts yesterday, and I just copied and pasted it for convenience sake, so ignore the parts about exercise that dont pertain to your situation. But the BMR stuff is important :) MFP sets your calories based on what you tell it. If you told it you want to lose 2lbs per week, its gonna go as low as 1200 calories. But thats not necessarily healthy or the right thing to do. Really...check out your BMR and stick to it:

Short answer: Try Searching this topic, as it has been discussed ad nausea here on the site.

Longer (but not nearly long enough) answer:
    Your body requires a certain number of calories in order for you to simply exist. In order for you eyes to blink, your heart to keep beating, your hair to keep growing, your organs to keep functioning, you have to feed it a certain number of calories. This number is called your BMR. (Use the tool on this site to check your BMR...I bet its close to what your nutritionist siggested) For example, my BMR is about 1490 calories. So say I lay in bed allllll day, motionless. I would require 1490 calories just to keep my body alive in a coma-like state.
    The second I get out of bed, walk across the room, open the door to the bathroom, brush my teeth, pee, weigh myself, turn on the hot water,and hop in the shower...I have burned calories. Minimal...but still enough to start cutting into the 1490 my body needs in order to fuel its most basic functions.

So if I eat my BMR of 1490 a day, I am only giving my body enough to do its basic functions.

MFP gave me 1200 calories based on my desire to lose 2 lbs a week. At my height and current weight, losing 2 lbs per week is not reasonable, but I wanted to lose FAST. And the lowest MFP will set someone's calories is 1200 (For many good reasons). 1200 is sort of an arbitrary number at this point but no one should really eat LESS than 1200, and there are likely very few people who could eat 1200 calories for the rest of their lives and maintain weight or stay satisfied. (opinion...sorry) I lost 20+ lbs eating 1200 cals a day. Wahoo! Yeah me!! Right? WRONG. The second I started eating "normal" again, I gained all 20+ lbs back, PLUS MORE. It might "work" in the short term, but for many here, 1200 calories isnt the lifestyle change needed to STAY healthy and thin.

OK, back to the exercise thing. If I eat my 1500 (1490) cals today, my body will already be at a deficit for weight loss since I got out of bed, functioned, walked, lifted my toddler countless times, etc. So if I were to workout and burn 500 calories this afternoon, my body would be at an even greater deficit, and risk pushing my body to panic. Once your body panics and your metabolism worries that you are not feeding it enough, you will start to store fat at a faster rate. Your body and metabolism will try to hang onto any extra store of fat in preparation for an upcoming "famine".

Another way to look at it: If you eat 1200 calories and then exercise 500 calories away, you are only holding onto 700 calories for your body to draw from for energy, organ function, eye blinking, etc etc. Its just not enough for your body to exist on without causing longterm troubles.

It took me a looooong time to "get" this. I still have to consciously remind myself to eat my calories in order to lose weight. It seems counter-intuitive...but it WORKS. When I eat my BMR and at LEAST half my exercise calories, I lose weight. When I only eat 1200 calories, I am miserable, hungry, and i might lose some weight initially...but i gain it alllll back with a few extra for fluffiness.

Bottom line: eat more, keep moving, lose more, keep it off
    BMR + exercise calories = longterm success

Hope that helped!

Also, if yuo put your goal as "lose 2 lbs per week" then MFP will set your calorie goal accordingly. That is why it gave you 1200 cals rather than your BMR.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am 5"8" and started out at 214 pounds on MFP. Not sure what you have entered, but even then, if I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week, with a lightly active lifestyle, and exercising 3X30min per week, it only dropped me to 1350 calories a day. I knew I couldn't do that, so I chose a rate of 1.5 pounds per week, and it gave me 1650 calories a day to start. With the exercise I did, I dropped 2 pounds a week or more for the first 3 months, then reevaluated, and changed my rate to 1 pound a week.

Be honest in your activity level, and realistic on how far you think you can cut your calories without cheating. It is better to lose at 1 pound a week steadily that binge and bounce all over. :wink: If you want to burn faster, increase days of exercise to burn more calories, just remember to eat back some of those calories to fuel that burn.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to sedentary with 3 workout days for 40 minutes (I actually workout 4 or 5 times a week). I'm 237lbs and my daily calorie goal is 1630.
  • kforrest1
    Options
    I'm a male, 270 and it gives me 1650 + extra for excercise. I don't find it difficult to eat at these levels. I have not been starving myself and have been a few hundred points under the calorie intake levels. I find that the type of food you eat has a big impact (no-brainer) on the calorie intake, not how much you eat. For me, eating a lot of "good foods", especially snacks, has helped keep the calories down while not starving myself.
  • MommaSherryB
    MommaSherryB Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi, we have similiar height and weight and age. I am 38. I am consuming 1200-1400 per day. I am fully satisfied, but have had to change what I eat.

I try to eat alot of chicken breast and fish and loads of veggies, fruits. Alot of calories can be cut out from baking rather than frying and steaming veggies.

I try to get at least 30-50 minutes of excercise per day and I dont eat past 7 PM.

I was discouraged at first because I weigh more now than I did at full term pregancy 18 years ago. I weighed 180 at full term and lost most of it. Over the years, I have slacked off the exercise and at times have been so busy at a desk that I did basically NO excercise. This is the main reason for my weight gain.

I think that some people truly have a slow metabolism and MUST exercise several times a week to lose/maintain weight. A great example is my sister who is 18 months older and she has always been slim. She eats whatever she wants but doesnt gain any weight. She is 5"6 and has maintained 120 all these years even after two children.

I am down to 226 now but it has been tough, I have just decided to be heavily commited to eating healthy and exercise. I want to get down to 160-170 and keep it off.
  • Thorneapple
    Options
    The calorie goal you get from your nutritionist's formula sounds kind of high to me. I'd say your base should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1600, then with your exercise calories, your total target would be 1850 to 1950.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

Sorry but I can't help you because the info you've been given sounds really confusing.
    I tend to just take the daily calories that I am allowed here and just try to always go under them even if I have excercised.

Hope someone else has some better info for you.

Best of luck.
    Brenda

im with her! i tried to follow your 'given advice' and my calories were over 2500! no way i would lose weight like that!:wink:
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    If you've consulted with a professional, I would probably go with them. MFP is just a computer program using a basic formula, only knows what you tell it, and only ever warns you about eating too little if you go below a standard minimum (for women, so its not even accurate for the guys on here).

The reason MFP tells you you'll lose less per week when you change your net to be higher is because it has already set you for the maximum amount of weight loss per week (you've probably set it for 2 lbs a week). For 2 lbs a week you have to have a 1000 calorie per day deficit. Meaning, at your height, weight, age and activity level (I'm guessing you entered sedentary, which your nutritionist may not have calculated for depending on your actual detailed description of lifestyle, which MFP is incapable of taking) you burn at or below 2200 on a daily basis.

Your nutritionist is clearly not setting you up for 2 lb a week loss. At 580, MFP is right, it should be just over a pound a week. Which is definitely not necessarily a bad thing. It's difficult to sustain a larger deficit and not always advisable, depending on your weigh and activity level. In fact, you'll notice when you set your goals that MFP actually has "(Recommended)" next to 1 lb a week.

So long story short, I would go with the nutritionist. They're setting you up for slower loss, which is healthier and more sustainable. Their goal is to make sure you don't just consume enough to live, but still not enough to get all the proper vitamins and nutrients. And while I typically don't like them as much as dietitians, I would still say having met and been analyzed by one is more personal and fitted to you than the computer program.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    figure out wha tis right for you. And remember that Fitness Pal is making a PREDICTION when it says 1.2 lb. You may find that you lose more. You may also find you cannot get in all the calories that your nutritionist is suggesting. When you are eating healty, that really is quite a bit of food.
  • Velvetsteel
    Options
    bah
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Less is not necessarily better, in terms of eating enough and losing weight. 1200 calories isn't really enough for most people, long term.

That said, I don't know where your professional got that calculation. My RMR is 1800 (tested in a lab). I only burn about 300 more calories a day because I am very sedentary (two desk jobs). I know this because I wear a fitbit that measures my steps, energy output and calculates my calories. Right now I'm not working out, but I've found that I don't really burn as much as the machines or MFP say I do at focused exercise (working out). So my multiplication factor is around 1.2 - ie: 1800 x 1.2 = maintenance for me.

My suggestion is to try different calorie goals to see what works for you. Start with an offsite calculator and add the activity factor for how active your lifestyle is, then subract 20% to get a deficit to lose weight.

Decent Calculator - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Activity Factors:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Note that this includes exercises so you wouldn't add that on top of it.

34 yrs old, 5'7", 240 pounds = 1,854 BMR
    Assume lightly active activity factor = 1854 x 1.375 = 2,549 Maintenance (TDEE)
    20% deficit = 509
    Calorie goal = 2,039

MFP will subtract 500 from TDEE to achieve a goal of 1 pd a week loss, 750 for a 1.5 loss and 1000 for a 2 pd a week loss.

See if you put the settings in MFP to the above - lightly active, 1 pound loss, and see if MFP doesn't come close to 2000 calories a day as your goal.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1390 without exercise.
    I exercise 5 days a week for 30 mins.
    or more and I lose only 1- 2 lbs. per
    week. It seems to work for me.
    Everyone is different and you kind of
    have to play around with it and see what
    is good for u.
    Good Luck!
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't think what your nutritionist has set you up with is enough of a calories defificit to loose much weight. I'm trying really hard to loose a pound a week right now. I'm working out 4 times a week and burning 400 to 500 calories each time. My calorie amount on here is around 1450 calories a day so sometimes im even below 1200 after exercising and get that warning that its too low so i have to eat some more. To me my own daily goals seem pretty strict and limited but stil i havnt been loosing more then a pound a week.
    I think if your commited long term to seeing results then you'll have the ability to try different approaches but i know i wouldnt loose any weight with what you dr has recommended
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't think what your nutritionist has set you up with is enough of a calories defificit to loose much weight. I'm trying really hard to loose a pound a week right now. I'm working out 4 times a week and burning 400 to 500 calories each time. My calorie amount on here is around 1450 calories a day so sometimes im even below 1200 after exercising and get that warning that its too low so i have to eat some more. To me my own daily goals seem pretty strict and limited but stil i havnt been loosing more then a pound a week.
    I think if your commited long term to seeing results then you'll have the ability to try different approaches but i know i wouldnt loose any weight with what you dr has recommended
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Go with your nutritionist. What s/he is telling you sounds correct.

For example, MFP has me eating 1200 calories/day as well. But when I did a body comp test I found out that my BMR is around 1940. My 500 calorie a day deficit would put me at NET calories - 1440, not 1200. That being said, the whole 3500 calories = 1 lb. is true, but many factors to consider when you're losing weight so that deficit won't necessarily mean you're losing 1 lb/week.

MFP is a guide. A loose one. Your best bet is to go with what your nutritionist is recommending and adjust as you go along to figure out what works for you. Besides, you aren't paying MFP for individual nutritional advice, but you are paying your certified nutritionist. I'd listen to him/her.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Did the nutritionist tell you how many pounds per week you could expect to lose at the calorie level she gave? The difference could be simply in the speed at which you attain your goal.

That said, faster is not always better...