People at 200+, when did you start seeing physical results?

Options
I'm going to ask the question that has probably been asked a thousand times: how far into your journey were you when you started really seeing physical results?

I started working out and eating better (most days) at the beginning of the month, and am down 12 pounds from 256 to 244. I'm already starting to feel a whole lot better, and a lot more physically capable. I'm gaining the confidence to do things I never thought I'd work up the nerve to do before, like kayaking, paddleboarding, and jogging in public. I even swam across a lake! Granted, it was a narrow lake, about a third of a mile from the beach on one side to the beach on the other... but still, I did it!

And while the massive changes in my fitness are more than enough to keep me going, I do still wonder when I'm going to start seeing noticeable changes in my body. I'm honestly expecting to have to lose another 20 pounds or so before I really start noticing anything. Can anyone else who has come down from such a high weight share their experiences? When did you start noticing the change?

Replies

• DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I started off at 236 early 2013, and was around 226 when I really got serious in the fall of 2013. It wasn't until I got below 200 that other people started saying they noticed I had lost weight, but I noticed a bit earlier, maybe around 210. Basically after I had lost about 10 percent of my body weight.

I'm like you, though; I could tell a lot sooner in how I felt - my feet and knees didn't hurt all the time, I had more energy, etc.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    After about a month some cargo shorts that had been too small needed a belt.

After about two months I've lost about 4" off my waist.

I'm just now getting into the 200s again, though.
  • somuchfattitude
    somuchfattitude Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It took me about 4 weeks.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    it was around a month for me

but honestly worrying about these sort of things wont help you get there any faster, it will just frustrate you thinking about it. best is to just focus on the present and what you need to do to get where you want to be
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started at 215, and I don't think anyone except my doctor noticed the difference when I lost the first 15. But now that I'm down 24 lbs total, everyone is noticing. I took pictures of myself in my underwear at my starting weight, and I take new ones every month then put them into a file next to each other so I can compare. I highly recommend that - you'll see things that you don't notice in the mirror.

This is something I've been thinking about doing. I recently bought a full length mirror. Now, I just have to find a place to hang it up in my apartment and then I can start taking pictures.
  • mdt07
    mdt07 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body type and how you carry your weight. On my current journey I started at 262. I am now 251 and I can tell the difference. But you start to notice before others can see it. Take your measurements, that will give you some indication of changes. Some times you will not see a change outwardly but internally changes are occurring for the better. According to my doctor a 10% weight reduction removes a lot of the visceral fat from around your organs.. Making you drastically more healthy than before. Keep up the good work and soon you will see changes on the outside. But know that internally things are already changing for the better.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ask the question that has probably been asked a thousand times: how far into your journey were you when you started really seeing physical results?

First week, knew notch on a belt, couple lost pounds, it was good.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    A month or two...
  • trudywc2
    trudywc2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I started at 215, and I don't think anyone except my doctor noticed the difference when I lost the first 15. But now that I'm down 24 lbs total, everyone is noticing. I took pictures of myself in my underwear at my starting weight, and I take new ones every month then put them into a file next to each other so I can compare. I highly recommend that - you'll see things that you don't notice in the mirror.

I started to take pics as well and will take them the same time every month. Glad to hear its helpful.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I started at 232. Looking in the mirror, I never see physical changes. That's why I'm a firm believer in before and after pics. While I didn't see the change in my body, I took a picture at the start and two weeks later and the changes were incredible. I can see the waist getting smaller and my body starting to lift and tighten. Being that we see ourselves everyday it may be hard to notice physical changes for a long time but when you take pictures by the week or month, you'll notice a huge difference!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Take pictures, hold on to them to compare, our eyes like to play tricks. The difference between 245 and 200 was for me huge, yet it sneaked up on me, I didn't really see much change until then.
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started at 252 this last time and it was until about 235 that people who didnt know I was trying to lose weight could tell.

Ironically is wasnt until 225 before I could really tell, sometimes I look in the mirror and I still think that I look the same,

I started feeling better almost immediately but the physical change is a struggle, I think it is hard for your mind to catch up with your body, after all I have been seeing myself overweight for the last 32 years so it is going to take some time to recondition my brain to what I look like now.