How fast do you jog?

Options
How fast?

*add me*

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Depends on the distance and the purpose of the run.

A long slow run may be 7:00 to 7:15 / km (about 11:30 / mi) and my 10K race pace is about 5:30 / km (about 8:45 / mi) and my best for a 1 mile race is 7:23.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I like 6.5 MPH if I'm in shape.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on who's chasing me...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    A bit less than 5.5 mph during an average run. I almost always am at 11:12 or 11:13 per mile.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Depends on the distance and the purpose of the run.

So much this. Am I working toward a specific distance (ie increasing distance vs speed)? Am I doing hills? Am I doing speed work? Is it a recovery run? It is a race? Long run? Short run? On road? On trail? Is it a brick or tri practice where I'm getting off the bike after riding for 15-25 miles?

Personally, I am working a two fold plan - increasing my distance on my long runs and some of my shorter runs to get to a half marathon distance by fall.....and also working on getting to a sub-30 minute 5K after getting OFF the bike (I'm *thisclose* for run only)
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Are you asking how fast do I/we jog or do you mean run? there is a difference! I jog in water mainly, I am learning to run on land now.
    From this site: http://www.livestrong.com/article/475894-difference-between-jogging-running/

The differences between jogging and running are not clear-cut. In fact, the words are often used interchangeably. According to the Better Health Channel, the main difference between running and jogging is intensity. Runners sometimes jog for a while before a race or a long run to get their muscles loose.

Definition
    In an article for the BBCSport, conditioning coach Mike Antoniades defines jogging as “running at speeds of less than 6 mph.” Others see jogging as something you do to stay in shape or for fun, while running is something you do if you’re participating in a race.

Form
    Joggers have more of a bouncy movement when they move, while runners have a steady rhythm that includes longer steps and faster arm swing. When you’re running, the position at which your foot strikes the ground is very important. The ball of your foot should strike the ground first, not the heel. Although the same is true when you’re jogging, a mistake when you’re running is more likely to cause an injury since your foot is hitting the ground more frequently and harder.

Effects on the Body
    If you run — that is, if you go at least 6 mph — your feet will touch the ground more often than if you jog. According to a 2010 article in “The New York Daily News,” recreational jogging should not harm healthy knees. Running, on the other hand, can be tough on your knees, especially if you do it on uneven terrain or for long stretches.

Calorie Burning
    As for calorie burning, running is more effective than jogging. The speed at which you run also affects calorie burning. A 155-lb. person will burn 563 calories running an hour at 5 mph, 880 calories running at 7.5 mph and over 1,000 calories at 9 mph or faster. Jogging will burn about 492 calories per hour.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I usually average around 11/mile, give or take. I feel like I'm slower than a turtle trying to walk through peanut butter, but I'm up and I'm moving. I've decided not to worry so much about how fast I go. I've gotten past sciatica, disc problems, hip problems, and I'm still up and moving. 5 years ago I was in physical therapy and barely able to move.
    It doesn't matter how fast you go.
  • jessicagilb
    jessicagilb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Are you asking how fast do I/we jog or do you mean run? there is a difference! I jog in water mainly, I am learning to run on land now.

Jog mostly. but these are good answers. Just seeing how slow I am... and I'm pretty slow apparently. Oh well its exercise still
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    My usual course is pretty hilly... I can run it at about 10:30min/mi
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    as fast as I need to to finish running.

I average between 8:30 and 9:30 min miles for my 3-5 mile runs.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!! My steady pace is between 9:20-9:40mm. My tempo pace is between 8:58-9:17. My slow/easy pace is between 10:00-10:45mm.
  • Dezire4lyfe
    Dezire4lyfe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out and average about 16 min. mile. That includes jogging and running. On a treadmill, I am able to keep my speed at about 4.5. So, I am slower than slow!
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    I've only been "running" for about 3 months. I started with the c25k program and am now running without that app. My average speed is about 12:00/mile. It's not the greatest - but it works for me, and it's much better than what I used to do (sit on the couch!) :happy:
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    "Jog" is a dirty word, invented in the 70's by a group of people who wanted to encourage recreational running, but avoid the pop culture around high impact exercise being bad for you. Regardless of the intensity and/or duration if you aren't walking you are running. Be proud of that.

As far as pace, it depends on how far I am running and what my goals for the workout are. When I started about 2 years ago I was averaging a 13-14 minute mile. These days a fast run might be a 5K with a 9:30 pace, a long slow run will be a half marathon or so with about an 11 - 11:30 minute pace. However, don't judge the quality of your workouts against what others do. There will always be somebody who can run faster, longer, and look better doing it. Judge the quality by how much you improve. You run a 15 minute mile? That's great, especially if a month ago it was a 16 minute mile.

What are your goals and training regiment by the way?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I can do 5 miles at a fairly comfortable 8.15-8.30 min/mile.

If I'm running 2-3 miles and going hell-for-leather, then it'll be somewhere 7.15-7.30 min/mile.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just seeing how slow I am... and I'm pretty slow apparently. Oh well its exercise still

My jogging pace is currently around a 13:00 min/mile. I wear a heart rate monitor and try to keep my HR at or below 130 bpm.

Here is how I arrived at that target HR:
    http://philmaffetone.com/180-formula
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It depends on so many things, the weather, how hard I worked out the day before, the distance, etc.

That being said, an easy run is about a 9:30 mm, a long run around 10:00 mm, and a fast run between 8:45 and 9:00 mm.
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    It depends on a lot. I can run anywhere from as fast a 9:30 mm to as slow as a 11:30 mm.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Jog mostly. but these are good answers. Just seeing how slow I am... and I'm pretty slow apparently. Oh well its exercise still

No reason to compare yourself to others. I compare my own times, like how far I can go and how fast in 30 mins or in 15, is it better than a month ago? How can I improve my times? Those are the questions I ask myself, not how fast am I compared to others. Best wishes ^_^
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Depends on distance, how many hills, the heat/humidity, whether I've been eating enough, if I'm recovering from a long hard run the day before etc

I have been running for 16 months, and I run at a pace anywhere between an 8 minute mile (flat and fast run) to a 9:30 mile (steep uphill).