Popcorn

Options
Ratrap
Ratrap Posts: 153
Hello,

Does anybody have a good way of making popcorn? Other than a microwave butter filled packet...

Replies

• NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I use an air popper and make my own toppings using different spices and a coffee grinder.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I use an air popper and make my own toppings using different spices and a coffee grinder.

^^^^^ This and you can also get 94% Fat Free Microwave popcorn. Air Popped is better, but for quick and easy you can do this.

I forgot where I seen it but there is also a way to use a plain brown paper bag in the microwave. Just add popcorn, close the bag up, nuke it till done then add your chemical butter spray and seasoning to taste. I haven't tried it yet but looks easy.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    You could make it in a skillet with a lid as well. Use coconut oil or olive oil rather than corn or veggie oil. Or you can still use a microwave and a brown paper bag if you don't have a hot air popper.
  • Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Place plain popping corn in a lidded glass bowl. Sprinkle some soy sauce , a few drops of water, and microwave on high for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes. No butter or oil needed.

I also like it with freshly ground black pepper, and with chili flakes.
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have a microwave popper from Target, but Amazon sells them too. They can be used with or without oil and work really great.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Put a couple tablespoons of kernels in a paper bag and microwave the same way you would traditional microwavable popcorn. Or pop kernels in a skillet or pot with a little bit of oil.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I just use plain popping corn, stick it in a brown paper bag and put it in the microwave for three to five minutes (Listening carefully for popping sound to slow down) LOL!

OR,

Angie's Boom Chicka Pop Popcorn (sea salt) is only 35 calories a cup, relatively low in carbs and some good fiber too. I eat a small bowl almost every night before bed... it bumps my fiber and makes for a great morning! haha

In fact, when my husband and I go to the movies, I always either make my own (method above) or put an appropriate portion size of Angie's in a plastic baggie. I also like to mix in a little bit of Fiber One Chocolate Squares Cereal. It's kind of like when you get a movie popcorn and mix in some raisinettes.

If you use the microwave you don't need to put in any oil or anything. I prefer the grainy taste of popcorn so I don't put anything on it but my husband likes to put a little pink salt, sometimes he sprays a little coconut oil on it and sometimes he sprays some "I Can't Believe it's not Butter". It is always delicious!
  • cqoconnell
    cqoconnell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup popcorn kernels in a regular paper lunch bag. Roll the top closed, microwave for 2mins. I add flavor with bragg's liquid amino acids spray, garlic salt, and nutritional yeast flakes. After disposing of the unpopped kernels and before adding the spray, salt, and flakes, it usually weighs out to about 33 grams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je5UTo7J8DI
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Air poppers are cheap and easy and make a lot of popcorn really fast. Plus, you can buy better tasting popcorn that actually tastes like corn. I used to love the get the fresh crop Indiana Gold when I lived out there.
  • Lost_in_Transformation
    Options
    Great ideas thanks!
  • aleism
    aleism Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a slight popcorn addiction so I can always manage a way to get it!

I hate the chemical coating that buttery microwave popcorn leaves in my mouth so I stay away from that as much as possible.
    The SmartPop popcorn is not so bad and you could add a touch of butter or oil after it is popped to hold on any salt or seasonings.

Air popped is my favorite! There are various sized and priced machines out there that will do the trick.

Pampered Chef did have a fancy stove top popcorn maker at one time, not sure if they still do.

Recently I made it in a soup pot for the first time. Pretty simple. Throw some corn and oil in a soup pot, plunk on the lid, and shake on the stove top to your heart's content. Kind of tedious though. Can we count that as an arm workout?! ;)

Also, if you are in Canada. There is a home-based company called Everyday Style. They are similar to Pampered Chef but have an expansive line of other things. They currently have a collapsible silicone steamer and it makes the perfect sized portion of popcorn in the microwave.
    I may be slightly biased with that suggestion though, as I sell it. LOL

There are other various microwave options out there I believe.

And last, but not least, I also LOVE the lightly salted pre-popped popcorn from Angie's Popcorn. It is called BoomChickaPop and it only like 35 calories per cup or something close to that. It is DELICIOUS - not sure if that is a Canadian thing or not though. I find it at Costco, Target, and select grocery stores.

Happy Popping!
  • Ratrap
    Ratrap Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate it!
  • jent1007
    jent1007 Posts: 12
    Options
    put kernels in a brown bag and fold ends over and microwave until you don't hear the kernels popping at a fast rate anymore

It is very plain but low in calories and has fiber so should help fill you without all the added butter.

I will sprinkle cinnamon on it sometimes or other spices for flavor

so each and cheap to make
  • glamsam8
    glamsam8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So I usually make popcorn with olive/conola oil, but I read a post about air popping on the stove top. So I just popped some kernels into my put, turned on he heat, and watched the pot, once it started popping I shook it continuously until I couldn't see any more kernels(glass topped pot), came out great! I usually enjoy it plain, with a little salt, or more recently, about a 1/4 cup reduced fat cheese yummy!
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love my air popper... then I use a natural flavored cooking spray instead of heavy oil or butter.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I bought an air popper last night and tried it. The popcorn tasted great. And it was kind of fun to make. I chickened out and went with what I knew -- butter and salt. Tonight I'm going to skip those and try one of the other suggestions like pepper, cinnamon, or cheese. Or maybe I'll make a half bowl of pepper corn, a half bowl of cinnamon corn, then a half bowl of cheese corn.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I went with honey and cinnamon.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Get one of these. A little bit of coconut oil and salt or popcorn seasoning.
    51eBGVfonaL._SY450_.jpg
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a seriously popcorn family, I'm from Minnesota and at one time that state ate the most popcorn per person! I like all popcorn but prefer mine oil popped on the stove. I have a really greasy looking old dutch oven that is my dedicated popcorn popper, but I bought my daughter a Whirly-Pop and it is Great. They aren't expensive and you can find them on Amazon