People at 200+, when did you start seeing physical results?

Options
I'm going to ask the question that has probably been asked a thousand times: how far into your journey were you when you started really seeing physical results?

I started working out and eating better (most days) at the beginning of the month, and am down 12 pounds from 256 to 244. I'm already starting to feel a whole lot better, and a lot more physically capable. I'm gaining the confidence to do things I never thought I'd work up the nerve to do before, like kayaking, paddleboarding, and jogging in public. I even swam across a lake! Granted, it was a narrow lake, about a third of a mile from the beach on one side to the beach on the other... but still, I did it!

And while the massive changes in my fitness are more than enough to keep me going, I do still wonder when I'm going to start seeing noticeable changes in my body. I'm honestly expecting to have to lose another 20 pounds or so before I really start noticing anything. Can anyone else who has come down from such a high weight share their experiences? When did you start noticing the change?

EDIT: I meant to post this in the General Diet and Weight Loss board. Oops, sorry.

Replies

• Dezire4lyfe
    Dezire4lyfe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a lot heavier than you but I started to see physical changes at about 20 lbs. My face first and then in my hips and waist. It was actually coworkers and friends who were noticing changes before I did. I saw a meme once that said it takes about 6 -8 weeks to see results. I don't know if that is true but definitely keep at it and I am sure you will see some soon. Also, besides that I notice my endurance and strength the most which is what is keeping me motivated.

Also, I love your pic. You are gorgeous!!! Good luck on your journey.
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    I started at 256 and I'm currently down to 244, over the past month or so, and my wife has certainly noticed physical changes and I've seen some glimpses-- shirts feel a bit looser, cinching my belt tighter, etc.
  • jlawless88
    jlawless88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Start taking a lot of selfies! You will notice the changes more through pictures than when you're just looking at yourself in the mirror everyday. You won't notice the subtle changes that you will see in pictures. And measuring yourself. You'll see those dropping right along with the scale. Good job!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Starting weight was 267. I lost 23 pounds when people at work started to ask me what was going on. I saw the scale dropping but didn't see any huge changes myself at that point. All my pants had elastic waistbands and my shirts were intentionally very loose so it was not as noticeable for me. Myself, I was at about 35 pounds down when my pants started falling off me and that's when the clouds opened and the angels started to sing. And the Salvation Army trucks took my first batch of too-big clothes away.
    Now when people see after they haven't for a while, after 75 pounds, I thoroughly enjoy seeing their jaws drop and even watch the confusion in their eyes as they try to register who I am as they do not recognize. Best feeling ever.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I started at 419 pounds. I began to notice a change in myself around 90 pounds lost, when I bought some new clothes.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I started at 215, and although I started feeling physically better as soon as I started eating like a healthy human, I went down my first pant size + had people comment on my loss after 27ish pounds. Since then, it's been like every single ounce brings on a new change or a new compliment.

Edited because I somehow always leave out words?
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,221 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I started at 201, and began noticing changes within the first 20 pounds. It took ANOTHER 20 pounds before I started needing new clothes (probably because my size 16s were WAAAAAAAAY too tight), but lately it feels like I'm buying a new size every other day. It's awesome that you've started your 'journey', though. Keep at it!
  • GetFitSD
    GetFitSD Posts: 278
    Options
    My first go around with weight loss started at 260lbs, it wasn't till probably 230lbs before I noticed any physical changes. Now I am at 227 and hoping to get back down to an even 200.

My first go around the weight loss was 80lbs.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    This time around I started at 208 and honestly, it was probably a good 25 or so pounds before I noticed physical differences, and to be perfectly honest, probably closer to 40 pounds before they were significant differences (other than the loss of my breasts). The last time I lost a good bit of weight I was in the 240's and I think it was about the same, 25-30 pounds before I saw changes in my appearance. Just stick it out, and as someone else mentioned, take a ton of progress pics, you will be amazed as you watch even the changes in your face as weeks and months go by.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I started at 215 pounds and it took 20 pounds lost before I started to see the difference in the mirror. And even then it was in my face and shoulders and not my stomach where I wanted to see it.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I started at 277. I started to see physical results 40 pounds lost. I saw the results before others but as soon as I started to buy clothes that fit me as I lost then others noticed too. I didn't want to spend a lot on clothes because I knew I was just passing through, so I would shop the clearance section and find something I liked in the next size or two down. Wearing clothes that fit as you shrink help. I started to feel better internally withing a couple of weeks of exercising and eating better.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i started at 296 and am down between 227-230 now.

i think after a month and a half i noticed a difference (small one to me but very noticable to others) after about 30lbs
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I started at 215 pounds and it took 20 pounds lost before I started to see the difference in the mirror. And even then it was in my face and shoulders and not my stomach where I wanted to see it.

^ basically this haha. Even now, because I was so heavy, I have that gut. The gut no longer has as much fat in it, now it's basically just a stretchmark-covered skin-pouch of doom. Shaping underwear are a necessity for it to be as flat as the rest of me. But only having one chin again? And a waist? Pretty awesome, flabby skin-pouch or not.
  • coaoalo
    coaoalo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 210-198 (12lbs) and my bf already says he sees a difference. I've lost an inch from my waist and an inch from my hips too. It's not a lot but it's enough to make some kind of difference :)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I would concur that its somewhere after 20 pounds. For me, starting at a max of 252, it was probably around the loss of 25 pounds. IAfter hitting a temporary minimum of 214, I gradually floated back up to about 230.

When I started losing weight (again) from that point, it was another 20-25 pounds before people noticed a difference, but as I approached 200 pounds that difference was really visible.

It seems like when you make a step change weight loss like that is when it is most visible to others.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I think its 30lbs when you will start to see a difference.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My high weight was 260 at 5'5" and I started noticing it a lot at 215. I still felt like a fat girl though even when I had lost over 100 pounds, down to 151. Still feel like a fat girl now that I'm pregnant and have gained back 30 pounds. I don't think I'll "feel" thin until I'm 135 and have a tummy tuck. Who knows, I might still feel fat then.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 354 pounds, I move around more like a 200 some odd pound person than a 300 pound person if that makes any difference? lol.
    When you're a lot heavier and first starting off the scale does not matter at all. I dropped 12 pounds in less than a week when I got back on my full time routine again.

You will see physical results weekly if you're putting in the effort. If you track it weekly they'll be a lot more minuscule, so I suggest doing a once-monthly progress picture shoot. Get the front, back, and side angles, as well as the arms flexed. So, about 4 or 5 pictures. You will see changes. I almost guarantee it. The first month or two they changes wont be *as* apparent. But Get 5 months in and compare month 1 to month 5, the changes are going to be VERY visible.

This is just my advice. I wish you the veryyyyy best of luck. You got this!