Squats and running. Can't I do both?

Options
I like lifting weights. I try to lift in the 3-6 rep range. But I just hurt my shoulder, sidelining me for a while. So I decided to get onto a short squat program. But at the same time I want to start training for a 10k in 3 weeks. But I don't want to stop lifting. can't I do both?

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Yea. But take it easy. Expect slower progress in both for a bit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that I'm oldish and pushing 40 here and I just don't recover the way I used to...but I found running (or cycling) any significant miles and actually training for an event to be very difficult while maintaining a "heavy" lifting routine that involved squats 3x weekly.

I just can't do heavy back squats and train for an endurance event...it just kills me and breaks down my body too much. When I'm in cyclocross season or training for an endurance event I usually do more body weight resistance work and for squats I tend to do front squats with lighter weight and more reps with some RDLs or something. When I'm really putting in the miles I can't do more than a couple of days resistance training without having some very serious recovery issues.

Your mileage is going to vary..and like I said, I'm oldish...I think you just have to go with it and see what your body can do...just remember to listen to your body and make changes as necessary so you don't end up sidelined from both activities.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Yea. But take it easy. Expect slower progress in both for a bit.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    can't I do both?

Been there done that and frankly my experience - I couldn't give my 100% to either.

This was 3 years back - Oly Lifting and training for Half at the same time.

I did terrible terrible that year on both ends .... neither got any PRs. Hey, but it taught me a strategy.
    Now I lift but only after my race season is over. I do not weight train in peak training season.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Edited - 3 years back I was 39. Hope this helps.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I do both. If I am training for a race, I only lift 2x a week instead of 3. I wouldn't expect any huge gains in your lifts, but I find that keeping my legs strong helps my running. Strong legs means you can pass people on the hills. :smile:
  • RushBabe_214
    RushBabe_214 Posts: 115
    Options
    I do both. If I am training for a race, I only lift 2x a week instead of 3. I wouldn't expect any huge gains in your lifts, but I find that keeping my legs strong helps my running. Strong legs means you can pass people on the hills. :smile:

This.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a good thing for marathon runners to increase their strength as it improves your ground-force contact, however; it should be a small % of your training. No more than 2 training sessions per week and possibly have one day with heavy squats (say 3 to 5 sets of 5 reps @ 80% to 85% of 1RM or Training max) and maybe one session of 3-5 sets for 6 - 8 reps at 65% - 70%. Then maybe 2 to 3 weeks out from your event you cut way back on the intensity and maybe do a couple sets of 5 reps at 45% to 55% and then the week prior probably nothing aside from maybe a couple sets of low rep box jumps (4 sets of 2 - 3 reps) or something like that helps with your GFC but not fatiguing. There are a lot of good journals detailing research on endurance athletes and marathon athletes, can probably find some of this with Google too. I can tell you with some of the research that I had to do for school, 10% to 15% of the conditioning comes from anaerobic cardio, so you may look at a session that includes some kind of sprint intervals, battle ropes, etc.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I like lifting weights. I try to lift in the 3-6 rep range. But I just hurt my shoulder, sidelining me for a while. So I decided to get onto a short squat program. But at the same time I want to start training for a 10k in 3 weeks. But I don't want to stop lifting. can't I do both?

You can, but I know for me that a long run the day after a big squat day isn't going to go well. Maybe switch your focus to primarily running until the race is over and give the injury a chance to heal properly?
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I do both.

Could I have run a marathon faster if I didn't squat? Could I squat more if I didn't train for a marathon? Maybe, but with only one data point it's really hard to tell.

I'm not competitive in weighlifting or running, so for me it was (is) about overall training. I don't want to give up one for another. So maybe I could run a little bit faster, or squat a little more weight if I gave one up, but I think I get the best overall fitness and aesthetic gains by doing both (as well as a bunch of other stuff).

That being said, 2 weeks before my marathon I dropped my squat from almost 300# to 200#. I also about crapped my pants every time I'd approach an intersection and there was a car... it was more about fear of injury than some perceived performance gains though.

39yrs old
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I do both but depending on the day... If I have a heavy lifting day I'll only do a light run for the cardio or interval of walking and jogging. If I do a good all out run or sprint I'll lift light just to get the motion and the stretch. Like someone else said, I have had days where I've gone all out on both and just can't achieve the level of intensity on either exercise.

For me it also depends on what we're doing in my MMA class at night. Sometimes we do three minute squat drills, sometimes we do 12 minute WODs that are ALL lower body and legs including jump boxes... my trainer keeps us guessing so I kind of have to play it by year.

I am also a dancer and either dance all out or practice everyday. My lower body strength and recovery has never really been an issue.

I guess what I am trying to say is just try some of both and find a combo that works for you.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do both. It's a 30-ish minute run.

I am 41, and I squat. I sometimes go run a 5K just for the giggles (by "giggles" I mean someone asks me to, and I say yes) and I never have any problems going back in the gym and lifting the next day.

30 or so minutes of cardio, whether it be running, walking, biking, HIIT, etc. isn't going to impact your squats. No need to take it easy or to do anything different, except don't run the 5K before you do squats and expect to hit a PR. You might see some loss of strength because you'll be tired after the run.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If you care more about running, use the lifting as an accessory to build some strength but don't expect to set a bunch of PR's on the lifts. If you want your lifting to be better then use the running as an accessory to your lifting but don't expect to set any running records.

If you are on a linear progression program for lifting be careful about your cardio and diet and don't short change your rest days and feeding or you can stall sooner. If I want to do cardio I plan it for the same day as the lifting (right after or that evening depending on time available) and keep it low key so I can fully utilize my rest day. I also have to eat more to make up for the calories burned through cardio. As you can see I prefer to progress well on my lifting.

If you decide to do both on a regular basis, you certainly can and you will probably be very well rounded in both strength and cardio but probably won't hit progress on either one as well as if you concentrated on one.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lift and run over the summer. I'm only two weeks in but so far it seems to be going well. The one thing I am noticing is I REALLY have to stay on top of my stretching and foam rolling! Other than that, so far so good. I did however move off of strong lifts so I wouldn't be doing SO MUCH leg work. I'm doing 5/3/1 now. I know you can't do the upper body stuff right now, but here's what I'm trying:

Monday: OHP work and 4 mile run or sprint work
    Tuesday: DL
    Wednesday: Bench work and 4-6 mile run and/or sprint work
    Thursday: Squats
    Friday: 4 mile run
    Saturday: Long run (distance according to program)
    Sunday: Rest!

So basically I'm lifting four days a week and running four days a week but I still get a leg break before and after my long run and never run when I'm doing lower body lifts.
  • Johnplusfour
    Johnplusfour Posts: 105
    Options
    My wife said it would be hard to do squats and run.. Imagining doing both at the same time was pretty funny. Reserved mainly for people like Terry Crews. Seriously though I do both but like one said above me; don't expect to break records in either one individually. I love running and I love a good leg day that you can barely walk out the door and driving a manual transmission back home afterwards is just comical. Cardio and leg strength training are equally important to me. I put a 2 day buffer between my leg day and running. So I do: run, rest, run, rest, rest, leg day, rest, rest. Yes there's 8 days in a week for me. But there's still back, bi, chest, tri days on my run/rest days. :drinker:
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    My wife said it would be hard to do squats and run.. Imagining doing both at the same time was pretty funny. Reserved mainly for people like Terry Crews. Seriously though I do both but like one said above me; don't expect to break records in either one individually. I love running and I love a good leg day that you can barely walk out the door and driving a manual transmission back home afterwards is just comical. Cardio and leg strength training are equally important to me. I put a 2 day buffer between my leg day and running. So I do: run, rest, run, rest, rest, leg day, rest, rest. Yes there's 8 days in a week for me. But there's still back, bi, chest, tri days on my run/rest days. :drinker:

If running distance / marathons is important for you, I would think differently about how you train. In-season, focus on two-day upperbody / lower body splits and keep it simple because the focus is really on your running. Something as simple as...

Day 1
    a1. Squat @ 80% - 85% 1RM for 5 sets of 5 reps
    a2. Box Jumps 2-3 reps (following each workset) Doesn't have to be a max effort jump, challenging but not max
    b1. Bench Press / Incline Press (same loading as Squat)
    b2. Lat work super-setted with press work, pull-ups if you can otherwise lat-pulldowns
    - some core work couldn't hurt

Day 2
    a1. Squat @ 65% to 70% (maybe 75%) for 3-5 sets of 6-8 reps
    a2. Jumps as indicated above (judge for yourself how you're recovering, may limit jumps to just the Day 1 session)
    b1. Standing Press / Push Press same programming as Day 1 pressing
    b2. DB or BB Rowing 3sets of 10-15 reps
    - back raises 3 x 15

Past that, focus on your training for your race or goal. You can do more strength training in the off-season, but for in-season keep it simple.

Edit: For Day 2, some Power Cleans wouldn't be a bad idea either. IF so, you can scrap the jumps for Day 2.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I just squated and ran this AM .....you sure can
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I lift.
    I run.
    I bike.
    I swim.
    I climb.

Could I do all those better if I focused specifically? I don't know, possibly. Am I happy with how I'm performing? Yes.

Depends on what matters to you. I know I'm not an elite, so I have no problem doing all of them and having fun.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I lift.
    I run.
    I bike.
    I swim.
    I horse back ride.

Could I do all those better if I focused specifically? I don't know, possibly. Am I happy with how I'm performing? Yes.

Depends on what matters to you. I know I'm not an elite, so I have no problem doing all of them and having fun.

^^This. I love the variety,

I've never trained for a race, so I'm happy with my slow progress. The strength training has given me the strength I need to run uphill faster (I live in a hilly area).
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options

3 weeks for a 10k is really little time i would say to take it easy with the squats, i know you need strenght but if it's your first one endurance is much important so rest...