Triathlon Training

Options
Hi Everyone,

I completed my third triathlon this past weekend - and first since 2010. I've been on my weight loss journey since September when I weighed in at 204 lbs and 21.5% body fat. I'm a 28 year old male, 5'10. Currently, I weight 166.8, 13.1% body fat and plan on doing another triathlon in the beginning of August. The one I just completed was 1/2 mile swim, 15.7 mile bike, 3.1 mile run, which I completed in 1:43. The one in August is shorter, only 1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 3.1 mile run.

So with that being said, I'm looking to get some opinions on my workout regimen. For the past 4 months solid, I've really only been swimming, biking and running, with an occasional weight session here or there. When it comes to weights, I know triathletes are more focused on repetitions, lighter weight and form.

My goal is to get down to about 10% body fat, and get a little cut. My chest and abs are severely lacking, and I still have a slight belly. After my August triathlon, I don't think I'll be doing anymore for the season. Do you think if I spend the month of August and September strictly doing weights with an occasional cardio activity, that will help me get to my goal? And if so, once I get to that goal, will my triathlon training help maintain that look? I'm more focused on not having a flat chest and a what's left of my belly.

I also don't know what triathletes typically do in the off season. Any thoughts? Do they focus on weight training? High intensity training? Stick to their swim, bike, run activities?

I'll probably have follow up questions, but I would love to hear what some of you are thinking. Thanks!

Replies

• CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do shorter distance triathlons as well. Typically during the off season, I just work out to maintain my fitness and weight. I do some running, a little biking, swimming when I can. But I'll also spend time doing other things too like playing tennis. Keeping active but not necessarily "training".

As a chick, I don't know what to tell you. But if you want to add strength training- go for it. Building your upper body will help with the swim, and of course muscles in the legs will help you bike and run faster, especially if that is accompanied by fat loss and your weight remains about steady.

I also ride my mountain bike in the off season for a few reasons. Salt and sand on the road- bigger tires- self explanatory. It's also a better workout, and you get more bang for your buck. And if something happens to it, I'm out $400 compared to $1200.

Are you planning on doing races next spring and summer? You can also join a swim club for the winter.
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    The Triathlete's Training Bible is a great resource!

In the off season, its good to focus on weights and HIIT. If you can spend the winter getting faster and stronger, you can spend the spring building endurance at that faster speed. The off season is also a good time to enjoy some other workouts -- kickboxing, yoga, etc -- that you might not have time for once you're focused on those long endurance training sessions again. I love swimming and biking (and tolerate running) but I would get pretty bored if thats all I did year round.

Hope that helps!
  • skudera27
    skudera27 Posts: 54
    Options
    I will be doing triathlons next year, likely upping the distance - probably nothing more than an olympic distance, somewhere around 1 mile swim, 30 mile bike, 6 mile run. My swim needs the most improvement, as I was only pacing 2:15/100m, which placed me in the bottom 2/3 overall.

I will definitely take a look at the Triathlete's Training Bible. I'll most likely focus on weights for a solid 1-2 months to get my body physically stronger, and then mix up my workouts throughout the offseason.
  • skudera27
    Options
    And I think my struggle is that I'm trying to do two things simultaneously - get my body in to the desired physical shape, while also training for triathlons.
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    For two things simultaneously, do you mean weights and endurance training? If so, lifting weights or even doing core exercises, squats, yoga class, etc. will only enhance your endurance training. I can always tell a difference in my bike rides when I've been strengthening my core and back. However, if the bulky weight lifter look is your desired physical shape, then you're right, those two don't really compliment each other.
  • skudera27
    Options
    When I say simultaneously, I mean more that I have 2 goals I'm trying to achieve at the same time. The first is weight loss and body definition, while the second is training to do well in the triathlons. I feel that just strictly training for a triathlon isn't going to get me the full results I want in my first goal. Sure, I've lost almost 40 pounds doing so, but the definition is what I really, really want.
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been doing at least 4 tris a year since 2007 and I still have a gut. It works great for knocking some weight off, but the last inch or 2 is going to take some nutrition discipline that I so far lack. I try to take some time off tri training over the winter while keeping in shape with other activities. A few months of lifting really paid off for me this season as I've finally made some real progress and had a PR run and swim.