I want pizza...BAD

Options
Ratrap
Ratrap Posts: 153
Ok, So im attempting to fill a craving. Are there any calorie friendly pizzas or ways to make a good pizza that isn't hard for a novice cook?

Replies

• MindyM80
    MindyM80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i use Fit and Active (from Aldis) whole wheat wraps and throw it on my griddle. ive done lots of varities. our favorite is BBQ sauce, grilled chicken, spinach leaves, topped with mozzerella. YUM!!

you could also do a more classic pizza with lots of veggies and a few pepperoni. :)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    i use Fit and Active (from Aldis) whole wheat wraps and throw it on my griddle. ive done lots of varities. our favorite is BBQ sauce, grilled chicken, spinach leaves, topped with mozzerella. YUM!!

you could also do a more classic pizza with lots of veggies and a few pepperoni. :)

This is what I do...man, I wish I had some cheese, I would so do this for dinner tonight. Another option would be Flat Out whole wheat flat bread, only 100 calories.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'll just eat some pizza.

If I deprive myself of things that I want all the time I'm more likely to binge whereas if I eat 1-2 pieces of pizza, my craving is satisfied and I work around it by exercising or eating a little bit lighter the next day.
  • staceylw31
    staceylw31 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'll just eat some pizza.

If I deprive myself of things that I want all the time I'm more likely to binge whereas if I eat 1-2 pieces of pizza, my craving is satisfied and I work around it by exercising or eating a little bit lighter the next day.

I agree...if you want Pizza...then eat Pizza. As long as you don't go crazy with it...(1-2 slices is sufficient) then you should be fine. Adjust your diet for the rest of the day and leave yourself some room for Pizza. I still eat Pizza and am losing weight.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ok, So im attempting to fill a craving. Are there any calorie friendly pizzas or ways to make a good pizza that isn't hard for a novice cook?

Slices of pizza don't have a ton of calories

At the minimum you'll need a pizza stone to make a semi legit pizza

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/no-knead-pizza-dough
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

How novice?

If you want to tackle homemade crust look at Fleischmann's Pizza Crust Yeast recipes. One step, very easy.

http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/

You can make the crust as thin as you like. Pizza sauces are low calorie, but look at sugar content. Some sauces are really loaded with sugar. 2% mozzarella and turkey pepperoni** are great. Add veggies as desired. This is better if you have a pizza stone, or a crisping type pan.

**Turkey pepperoni is tasty ....way lower in fat. The texture is a bit chewy.....I cut pepperoni slices into quarters & sprinkle on top. Texture is less noticeable that way

Frozen pizzas.....Lean Cuisine & Weight Watchers are both ok pizzas. DiGiorno used to make a 200 calorie portion pizza (yum)...no more. For "regular" frozen pizza.....look for thin crust.....look for cheese only......then add your own turkey pepperoni. .

Flat-Outs.....I've not tried. These look like thick rectangle tortillas. People swear by these for pizza crust substitute.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you want to spend? I get the Private Selection flatbreads from the frozen section at Kroger sometimes. They are pretty tasty, and I can eat the whole thing for less than 700. Digiorno also makes a thin crust that isn't too bad for calories.

Now, many will say those aren't "real" pizzas LOL, but I like them!
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    If I want pizza really bad, I'll eat pizza. If its the end of my day and I don't have many calories left but still want pizza, I'll usually create something similar. Bagel thin pizzas, tortilla pizzas etc.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just eat some Pizza and fit it into your calories
  • MindyM80
    MindyM80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i like Papa Murphys De Lite Pizza as well. the thiner the crust the better :)
    canadian bacon is a bit lower in calories than pepperoni!
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Pizza is really, really easy to make. Buy frozen dough at grocery store. Its near the frozen garlic bread. Dough thaws on counter in a couple hours. Stretch dough out. Random shape is fine. If it won't stretch all the way let it rest for 10 minutes and then continue to stretch. Put stretched dough on oiled sheet pan. The real secret to making your own good pizza is simple: turn the oven up to at least 450-500 degrees. You do not need a stone or any other special equipment. Put sauce on. Top with cheese, veggies, whatever. I worked as a cook for decades trust me on this.

All that said pizza is my personal favorite as well as my personal downfall in losing weight.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    There are tons of options here. First many posters I agree with just have a slice or 2 of pizza but if you're one of those that can't stop at that I'd suggest using sandwich thins or english muffins as your crust, top with a little sauce, cheese, veggies and meat.

Here are a couple more options:

Slice zucchini lengthwise about 1/4" thick and grill one side, flip add a few chopped tomatoes, cheese and pepperoni and let cook until the cheese is melted.

Portobello mushroom cap (burger size ones) I bake or grill my mushroom cap then top with meat sauce and cover with cheese and put back on heat until the cheese melts.

Both of those options are super easy on the grill for summer and in the oven for winter and even an inexperienced cook can manage that. If grills are too complicated (I have friends that hate them) buy yourself a George Foreman grill for inside, simple and easy to use.
  • Nic37013
    Nic37013 Posts: 17
    Options

Little Caesar's Hot & Ready Pepperoni is my "splurge" but it is REALLY not bad! 280 calories in a slice- 8 slices per $5 pizza so it's also pretty cost effective too at 63 cents a slice
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I do wheat pita with sauce cheese and toppings and bake in oven :)
  • plinkinator
    Options
    I've made a cauliflower-crust pizza that is really low in calories and carbs... I really like it, as long as you follow the directions and bake the crust even longer than suggested:

Amount Per Serving = 1 slice:
    Calories: 63.7
    Total Fat: 2.7 g
    Cholesterol: 28.2 mg
    Sodium: 191.6 mg
    Total Carbs: 5.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 2.6 g
    Protein: 5.5 g
    WW Points+: 2

Here's the website for the recipe: http://ifoodreal.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust-recipe/
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    MMM now I want a cheese pizza with alfredo sauce from pizza hut and a whole order of cinnamon sticks just for myself
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Few roads you can go down:

Buy a pizza, eat 2 slices
    Homemade "pizza" on a FlatOut flatbread (I used to make them for around 400 calories). Tasty, convenient, but difficult to hold/eat.
    English muffin "pizza." Tastes like crap, but it's got all the elements (squeezy sauce, cheese, topping, broil for a few min).

Sometimes I want real good pizza from one of our local shops, other times I settle.
  • MrzNateJ2013
    Options
    I swear when I saw this post I thought I wrote it. I know EXACTLY how you feel!!! I am craving pizza today like no other and it's like I'm getting moody b/c I know it's not good for me lol!! I'll be watching to see what everyone suggest!
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I do wheat pita with sauce cheese and toppings and bake in oven :)

This is what I do, too.
    Easy peasy and IMO, a tasty alternative.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    MMM now I want a cheese pizza with alfredo sauce from pizza hut and a whole order of cinnamon sticks just for myself

That sounds so amazing right now.

WITH CREAM CHEESE DIPPING SAUCE.