HELP.

Options
12 Pounds Down- Updating My Weight Loss Journey

I can be honest with you guys right? I hope so. Well, truth is- this is the hardest thing that I have ever committed myself to and it doesn’t feel as if it’s happening fast enough. I began this journey around April 20, 2014, weighing in at 212.8, so very close to 213 pounds. It is important to understand that prior to that, the very highest weight I’d ever seen on the scale was around 190 pounds. However, I have been 165-180 pounds my entire adult/pre-adult life. I have no clue what it feels like to an athlete, to establish a normal workout routine, or to be in shape. But yet, I want it so badly! You see, I am a curvy African American Female, a top heavy pear shape to be exact. This often times gives me the illusion of being more of an hour glass, but I’m not. I’m also fairly tall- 5’7. My shoulders indicate that I’m meant to have a large frame, but my wrists and ankles are still very well the smallest things I’ve seen on a woman of my stature. Even my overweight self’s ring finger is only a size 6? I’m short waisted and high hipped. I say all of that to say that 180 looks damn Good on me as I am no more than a size 8/10. So was I comfortable with this? Heck Yeah! I was curvy and in my eyes there was nothing wrong me.

Well- that was not true. Although naturally curvy, I had no true muscle definition or strength. I could barely define, “run” so you know I can’t execute it. I’m used to eating what I want, when I want and those habits, along with a long series of life events, including pregnancy, post pregnancy, trauma and death. Here I was 213 pounds at 22 years old. I was at an extremely low place in life. I didn’t feel good about myself, therefore, I never could understand how anyone else could feel good about me. Not even my husband. So now, almost 11 weeks later I have officially lost close to 12 pounds. Currently at 200.6. I’m comfortably wearing a size 12 and I feel better. The thoughts don’t consume me, as often, but I do still fall short. The hard question is- why is this going so slow? You see, when I began this journey I expected to be 189 pounds by this date and no more. I’d been on a 1200 calorie meal plan and walking and doing “everything”- or blah, blah, blah.

That’s not true either.
You see, I wasn’t doing “everything”. I didn’t work out as much or as hard as I should. Hell, when I began this journey I couldn’t last more than 15 minutes in a cardio workout. I logged when it was convenient and on some days, not at all. I was careful not to be “ too hard” on myself. All of this is reality for me and now I’m ready to reassess my situation. For the last 3 days I have succeeded in walking 8000 steps. I failed at Insanity. I discontinued the Almased Synergy Diet ( I was afraid I would gain the weight back that I lost once I started eating again, plus I was going insane). I’ve decided to do things right. I ‘m interested in weight training, but again, I have no clue about these things. So what’s the point of this post? Well, it’s to help identify with other people. You are not alone and I’m not either. So Myfitnesspal friends, what helped you all get through this and how did you lose the weight using healthy methods and at a reasonable pace? For me, that’s 1.5 pounds a week. *Crosses fingers*

DO I TRULY NEED TO BE TOUGH ON MYSELF TO GET RID OF THIS?

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Why is it going so slowly? 12 lbs in 11 weeks is not slow. It sounds like you're one of those people that shouldn't set, "I'm going to lose xx weight by xx date." Because it seems you get a bit depressed when that specific goal isn't met. You're losing weight. Keep at it and you'll keep losing weight.

And now the obligatory: if you're eating 1200 calories a day and that's the rate you're losing, I think you're eating more than 1200 calories a day. The amount you think you're eating, however, is probably a good amount and not too low. If you were actually eating 1200 calories, it would be too few for a woman your height/weight.

Good luck.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better - I started on April 28th and have lost 8.4 pounds....and I am thrilled
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are making great progress. Congratulate yourself and thank your body.
    And be patient (that is hard, but you are probably patient about other things).
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    ShantesNaturalVanity Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Brower47- I think you are right, looking at my charts and setting goals keeps me focused so maybe that's why I feel the need to be right on target? I recently lowered the MFP suggestion to 1.5 pounds per week, which raises the calories to about 1380. However the S Health app that came with my S4 wants me to eat close to 2300 calories, but then again it also wants me to burn close to 700. That would put my deficit back down to 1600 which is still more than MFP, which would you choose?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Brower47- I think you are right, looking at my charts and setting goals keeps me focused so maybe that's why I feel the need to be right on target? I recently lowered the MFP suggestion to 1.5 pounds per week, which raises the calories to about 1380. However the S Health app that came with my S4 wants me to eat close to 2300 calories, but then again it also wants me to burn close to 700. That would put my deficit back down to 1600 which is still more than MFP, which would you choose?

I would always choose to eat as much as I can. It keeps me happy, makes it easier to hit my protein goals and make it less likely that I'll suddenly decide I need to overeat 'all the foods'. That said, I also take a lot of care making sure that my calorie count is as accurate as I can make it. I weight everything (except for some liquids). If I make a recipe, I weigh all the ingredients. I'm currently losing weight with a pre exercise goal of 1630 (I'm 5'4", 155 lbs) and I eat back my exercise calories (though I estimate my burns at about half of what most calculators give). I chose my calorie goal manually after MFP originally had me at 1350. That was just too low for me. I was tired, my workouts were crap because I didn't have the energy to put 100% into them and I thought about food way too much (even dreaming about eating).

If you are weighing your food consistently, I'd opt for the 1600 calorie version and eat back the calories you burn (again being careful not to overestimate those burns).
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose, it's important that you stick with it and not yo-yo around, as in 1200 is not working so you go up to 1600 but that's not working so now you're going to try 1100, etc, etc. Your body has to make a lot of adjustments when you change your eating habits, and it takes time to get everything balanced at the cellular level. I was thinking to give it a good month, but I came across a video this morning explaining that once you do your research and settle on a diet and exercise program, you need to give it a full year before you decide whether or not it's working. I'm sure there are exceptions, but this in general is probably good advice.

I re-set my goals this morning, picked 1 pound per week as recommended, and ended up at 1670 calories per day. I think I can do that.
  • moonpie83
    moonpie83 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We are both around the same height and, like you, I had the same weight expectations as well. I was expecting to be in the 180s around this time (but lemme tell you honey...NOT!!). But it's okay because I'm getting there. Our body types are a bit similar, as we are both curvy African American women, but my legs, thighs and butt are definitely areas that my mother blessed me generously! LOL You are doing great to be wearing a size 12! If nothing else you are losing inches and that's progress! :smile:
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

I would always choose to eat as much as I can. It keeps me happy, makes it easier to hit my protein goals and make it less likely that I'll suddenly decide I need to overeat 'all the foods'. That said, I also take a lot of care making sure that my calorie count is as accurate as I can make it. I weight everything (except for some liquids). If I make a recipe, I weigh all the ingredients. I'm currently losing weight with a pre exercise goal of 1630 (I'm 5'4", 155 lbs) and I eat back my exercise calories (though I estimate my burns at about half of what most calculators give). I chose my calorie goal manually after MFP originally had me at 1350. That was just too low for me. I was tired, my workouts were crap because I didn't have the energy to put 100% into them and I thought about food way too much (even dreaming about eating).

If you are weighing your food consistently, I'd opt for the 1600 calorie version and eat back the calories you burn (again being careful not to overestimate those burns).

This - but I will take it another level.... I use the TDEE method because its simple - one number set calories no matter my exercise because it already takes that into account... I eat 1700 per day... and I can make that LARGE amounts of food lol Today is date night and out the window :bigsmile:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It's just one of the many valuable stickies on the top of the boards.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options

OMG! I had no idea you could adjust your calories manually!
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    We are both around the same height and, like you, I had the same weight expectations as well. I was expecting to be in the 180s around this time (but lemme tell you honey...NOT!!). But it's okay because I'm getting there. Our body types are a bit similar, as we are both curvy African American women, but my legs, thighs and butt are definitely areas that my mother blessed me generously! LOL You are doing great to be wearing a size 12! If nothing else you are losing inches and that's progress! :smile:

We are still similar! I have no butt which is quite odd because I definitely have hips and thighs. Weird? Anyway, add me honey let's work on it together then!
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies everyone, I'd never heard of the TDEE method and I supposed I'll give it a try. Feel free to add me, you have been one of the more inspirational groups of people I have spoken to!