Considering Learning to Ride a Motorcycle

Options
LadyFlexible
LadyFlexible Posts: 108 Member
In my state, it's like seat belt laws, you have to wear a helmet.
Is there any other material I need for protection

Also I wear glasses, are there full head helmets that allow for glasses
Is it a good idea to wear goggles too?

Replies

• firfeous
    firfeous Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    9pt7pz.jpg

I would consider getting a full helmet
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    your protective gear is helmet, gloves, jacket, pants and shoes/boots along with some eyewear. personally, i would consider a shield on the helmet before goggles, but that's just individual preference.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    you can wear glasses with any helmet, but I have a modular helmet so it makes things real easy

ST-1198-glossy-blk-bluetooth-1.jpg

with this you won't need goggles

\m/
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    If you've never ridden before, take a rider safety course, and use their "learner bikes" because you will drop it.

ETA: any good motorcycle shop will be able to show you everything you need. When it comes to safety, typically it's a good idea to have more than the minimum.
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101
    Options
    In my state, it's like seat belt laws, you have to wear a helmet.
    Is there any other material I need for protection

Also I wear glasses, are there full head helmets that allow for glasses
    Is it a good idea to wear goggles too?

I wear helmet at all times, and have a face shield that is clear that comes down. I wear safety sunglasses made by redwing ($12); they won’t shatter in an accident, they also fit to keep wind from under the glasses preventing dry eyes. Anyway, here’s a little advice / story. I ride with my shield down on the highway, when I came off the highway I flipped up my shield. I was on a side access rode to get to McDs. There was a commercial lawn mower to my right, that mower through up a rock and hit me in the face. It gave me a slight nick on my check. I was only going 5 mph. Now multiply that out at a rate of 60 mph and what could that rock do, or a piece of metal off a semi, or tire tread at that high speed. Moral to the story, vehicles are not the only hazard out there, and I am a bit vain about my face, and want to keep it in the condition it is in. I will not give up my bike or riding, but putting the right gear on can save your life.....and your looks.
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,785 Member
    Options
    Definitely take a rider's safety course. You'll learn a lot more than you think you might and be much better prepared once you get out on the road. Also it can usually get you a small discount on insurance, and if you don't already have a license in most states will count in place of taking the exams and skills test.
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I rode a 250cc for years with glasses and a full helmet, no trouble.

I fell off once due to clay on the road and that helmet is probably why I am still alive.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Dress like it's cold outside. Take it from a guy who dropped a bike doing 70 with a short-sleeve shirt and no gloves. The asphalt loves to take skin. I used to wear a brain pan, but after the aforementioned drop, I wear a full face helmet.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Wear a helmet, take a safety course. My buddy was drilled from the side by a damned deer, and now has a mostly titanium leg. If he hadn't been wearing his helmet, he'd be taking a dirt nap.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    you can wear glasses with any helmet, but I have a modular helmet so it makes things real easy

ST-1198-glossy-blk-bluetooth-1.jpg

with this you won't need goggles

\m/

This is my helmet as well and I love it!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Great tips. I am looking to doing this this year as well. I want to get my license before I get the bike. I paid $350, in Maryland, to take a one week safety riding course, as well as learn how to ride the bike. Looking forward to riding. Great post OP!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I ride "*****" with my boyfriend and a helmet and safety glasses are a must. Always wear real shoes (boots are best) and long pants. We ride in short sleeves in the summer, but if riding at night it feels much cooler with no sun to warm you so you will want your leather jacket or a hoodie at least.

Oh we've tried the googles and they make your eyes sweaty in the summer but are great in the winter.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Full face, full cover helmet!
    A wasp smacking you in the face at 70mph is not funny.
    Full protection all over is a must. Jeans are about as helpful in a crash as a layer of tissue paper, your skin will look like it's been through a cheese grater if you wear jeans and have a crash/slide
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the more you wear the better protected you are as far as long pants, long sleeves, proper riding boots, etc. I know people will argue that it's hot, but trust me.... I lived in Phoenix and rode for 4 yrs and those clothes will protect you more than they will make you hot! (wind, sun, bugs, etc) Plus, there are cooling vest, mesh pants as well as mesh jackets, etc. There are even summer gloves and winter gloves. Once you start riding, you'll have more of an idea what works for you, but please make sure you get a good full-coverage helmet, gloves, boots, and jacket if nothing else! And always, have fun & RIDE SAFE! :flowerforyou:
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Wear a full face helmet. I rode from high school till grad school. I didn't even have a car back then, just my bike!

Long sleeves, jeans, and gloves, really helped. My lay down, back when I was 19, was not high speed but I still would have had some serious cosmetic face damage without a good full-face helmet. Even a little accident could bust your nose or teeth (or scar you). So get a good full face helmet!

You can wear them with glasses. I have contacts, too, but I often wear my glasses. Take off your glasses, put on your helmet, open your visor, put on your glasses, and closer your visor. All set. :)

When I was 17, I used to wear an open face helmet until a bee decided to come in and join me. It didn't sting me. It got tangled in my hair above my ear and was buzzing up a storm. Geez, I couldn't pull over fast enough, hehehe! Poor little bee was probably more scared than I was. Anyway, bees and wasps - another reason for a full face helmet. :)

You're going to want gloves, I prefer biege/undyed ones because the black gloves can bleed dye, especially if you ride in the rain.

No flip flops or sandals while riding. You're going to want shoes that cover your ankles. I usually wore some comfortable hiking boots.

Get a good jacket, it doesn't have to be heavy leather, especially if you live in a warm climate, but something sturdy you can zip up for fall protection and to keep things off you that you don't want, like a jerk flicking their lit cigarette butt out of the car. I've seen those hit the windshield and bounce off me while riding on the freeway.

The cool part with a basic rider safety course is it can waive your skills test at the DMV. If you pass the course, you demonstrated riding competency. All you have to do is take the DMV written test for your CM1 license after that. Some states / regions training program gives the written test, too.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Full face helmet and something padding your torso are not only good if you lay the bike down, but they're a God send if you get caught in the rain. Rain drops at 60mph is like getting shot with bird shot. :laugh:
  • nycoleyrides
    nycoleyrides Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As an employee of the motorcycle industry and rider of 10+ years there is some good advice here.

Yes - Take MSF riders course

Get a full face helmet (TRY ON AS MANY AS POSSIBLE - they all have different fits, are made for different head shapes and some are better for glasses then others)
    - To get the best fit wear it for 30+ min before any real use. A slight pressure in the store is a headache and wall hanger after the first ride!

Add gloves and boots to the purchase list. In fact if you can add a jacket and pants and never ride without them. You never know what dumby wont see you!

Be hyper vigilant and don't let a sales guy "push" you into a bike that doesn't "feel right" It will speak to you.