Not seeing results-what gives?

Options
I'm a 25 year old female - 5'8" and 147lbs with 21.8% body fat. I started the Advocare 24 day challenge (now on day 13), started p90x3 (finished week 2 today), have been doing yoga about 3 times a week, and I haven't really noticed any results other than dropping about 3 pounds. In the past 2 weeks I have had been drinking about 9 glasses of water/ day, no bread, pasta, etc., only tuna, chicken breasts, lean ground turkey and salmon, plenty of fruits and veggies no dairy other than about a teaspoon of skim milk in my coffee in the morning, and no sugar other than natural sugar. The only "processed" food I've had is natural peanut and almond butter. I don't understand why I am not seeing any results. Can someone give me some insight into what I'm doing wrong?

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Losing 3 pounds in 2 weeks is great progress. What are you expecting to see?
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You expecting the big time losses promised by the advocare pushers???

Also, you said what you eat...doesnt matter so much as to how much. I can eat healthy as can be but if I eat too many of those calories I am going to gain or not lose as much.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It's been less than 2 weeks and you've lost 3 lbs. This is a normal amount of weight to lose, 1-2 lbs a week is ideal, and your losses will get smaller as your weight goes down.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is near "perfect" at 22.3, you have a very healthy body fat percentage. You're not going to see huge losses at your current weight. 1.5 lb a week is rapid loss for someone of your size, and with less than 25 lb to lose, you should really be aiming for and expecting about half a pound a week.
  • sgyahn1989
    Options
    It's not that I'm expecting huge results right away, but I went from drinking about 2-3 glasses of wine every other day and eating quite a bit of cheese and bread and not really working out at all to basically completely switching my diet to all natural and working out hard 6 days a week. I eat between 1200 and 1500 calories per day, which is about 500-700 less than I was before. I was at least expecting to start seeing results by now, even if they weren't drastic.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If you were expecting to see much of anything in only two weeks, you were expecting huge results. It took me months of dedicated lifting and careful attention to my eating before I saw anything beside a shift on the scale. Be patient, stick to your exercise program and you'll see results.

*I have no idea what advocare is (MLM I'm thinking).
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2, 164#, with a BMI of 30 and I would be jumping for joy to see a 3# loss in 2 weeks.... If I see ANY loss at all I consider it a job well done. (I also eat "clean" for the most part and eat 1400 cals/day and working out everyday) Just stick with it and you'll get there.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    It's not that I'm expecting huge results right away, but I went from drinking about 2-3 glasses of wine every other day and eating quite a bit of cheese and bread and not really working out at all to basically completely switching my diet to all natural and working out hard 6 days a week. I eat between 1200 and 1500 calories per day, which is about 500-700 less than I was before. I was at least expecting to start seeing results by now, even if they weren't drastic.

Okay, so what results were you expecting if losing 3 pounds doesn't qualify?
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

The miracles of weight flying off from advocare!

If you just started working out as you said...that usually temporarily holds more water inyour muscles.

You dont have much to lose, dont expect huge losses like someone who is obese.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

I think a lot of times people may have unrealistic expectations of what weight loss should be based on what they see on television (biggest loser, advertising etc) therefore, when they see how natural healthy weight loss works (no pills, just diet and exercise) it may not be what they were expecting or hoping for
  • eliseangell2014
    eliseangell2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wanted to see quicker results too when I first started on here. Like you, I don't have a ton of weight to lose. Here is how it works for me: I will go a couple weeks and lose .5 lbs or even .1 lbs and the next week 4lbs come off. It is weird! You have to keep at it. You didn't gain unwanted weight in 2 weeks so it all isn't going to come off in 2 weeks.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I want a unicorn. Doesn't mean I'm going to get it. You're getting great results. Time to start having realistic expectations.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    2 weeks??

Give it time...
    Try 4 weeks.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    and have you checked to see if your numbers are correct for weight loss?
  • GoobeEyes
    GoobeEyes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Looks like this person has already deactivated the account!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:
    Guess she figured it all out
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    1. I'm not 100% sure what this Advocare stuff is all about, but cut it out. You don't need supplements to lose weight. In fact, they're more likely to do harm than good.

2. You're not eating enough. 1200-1500 calories per day is too little. For your weight, height, age, and activity level, you should be eating 1600-1800 calories per day (your TDEE - 20%, depending on whether you do 1-3 hours or 3-5 hours of exercise per week).

3. Three pounds in two weeks is 1.5 lb/week. That IS progress. In fact, it's a little too fast considering you're already at a healthy weight.

4. Patience. Get some. What were you expecting? You didn't gain it overnight, you're not going to lose it overnight.

5. Educate yourself on nutrition. It doesn't matter WHAT you eat, it's HOW MUCH you eat. Calories in vs. calories out. Also, weight loss happens in the kitchen; fitness happens at the gym.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Advocare is a weight loss/fitness supplement company that spins their products along side their Advocare 24-day challenge. Days 1-10 are the "cleanse" phase in which you eat ONLY lean meats and vegetables. Days 11-24 you get to introduce some starchy carbs, but only those that they deem "healthy" alongside your lean meats and vegetables.

A lot of proponents do it to "kick start" their new clean eating lifestyle.

One of the claims on their website is that you can lose up to ten pounds on the 24-day challenge. Of course, with all the carb restriction, it's mostly water.

ETA: And yes, it's MLM.