Sitting Is Bad for You

Options
patfriendly
patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
This guy lost weight by not sitting for a month. Would you do it?

http://nymag.com/health/bestdoctors/2014/sitting-down-2014-6/

14health_sitting_560.jpg

Replies

• journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    wth?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A colleague of mine has one of these of which I covet...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShvzghPUyhyRUTgfh6y1QfaPFNEN_W05nevhVDtf-aOwLt35Wf4g

His is adjustable so he can sit or stand. Outside of my office life I do try to stay on my feet as much as possible or otherwise be moving around...but I wouldn't go so far as to just stand up driving though.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Wow that's really extreme :huh:
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    LMAO
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    As extreme as this approach might be, prolonged sitting (i.e. most people's jobs today) is one of the major causes of lower back pain. This has been researched and shown clinically over and over since (I think as early as) 1975 (Kelsey JL. An epidemiological study of acute herniated lumbar intervertebral discs. Rheumatol Rehabil. 1975; 14: 144-59).

Any efforts a person makes to get on their feet should be seen as a positive thing... although this might be pushing it a bit. :)

I believe that's how I got sciatica , my freaking desk job :/
  • Drama_Free_Zone
    Options

His is adjustable so he can sit or stand. Outside of my office life I do try to stay on my feet as much as possible or otherwise be moving around...but I wouldn't go so far as to just stand up driving though.

The owner of my company's desk is like that. I do not think I have ever seen that man actually sit down, though I am sure he does!
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I move into a new office area on Monday and I get one of thses desks, I'm kind of looking forward to it
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

My boss bought me a nice reception desk that I converted into a standing station. I love it but I get some really strange looks when people come into my office. Huge desk, tiny office.

Standing and driving cannot be safe or legal.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Read the article. Uh, no.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm all about not sitting too much, but I also cannot stand in one place for long periods of time. It hurts me worse. I can walk or be moving otherwise and be fine.
  • MindyM80
    MindyM80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

i actually put together a proposal for my company (which happens to be a cardiology office) to install these types of work stations in our call center. after working in the call center for 2 years i had back problems, at the end of the day my knees and legs would be sore. i would feel so much better if i could stand....

i dont know about cruising down the road with my head out of the sunroof ha!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love sitting, sitting is my favorite.