Single and over 40 with 100+ to lose

Options
Wow, where to begin? I've been on the roller coaster for over 15 years with the past 10 years being over 100+ pounds overweight. I ballooned up when I quit smoking 10 years ago and I was already 55 pounds overweight. I had some success in 2006 and lost 60+ pounds, but ended up getting divorced and gaining it all back + a little extra. In the past 5 years, I've bounced around the same 30 pounds repeatedly and I'm not back on the high end. I'm tired of feeling run down, sick, and depressed. I'm tired of being laughed at snickered at, and I'm sick and tired of doing things alone because no one will even glance in my direction. I am in need of some support desperately. I would welcome any friend requests and will be happy to offer support for all, but especially to those who may be in the same boat. Would love to take the journey with someone. Thank you for reading. :)

Replies

• GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have read your post and your profile and can relate with much of what you share. I am 49. I quit smoking 10 years ago. I started seriously on MFP 7/5/2013. As of this morning I have lost 101.2 and have about 80 pounds to go. It is work and it takes true diligence but it can be done. You can do this!! Feel free to read my profile and send a friend request should you care to.

Take care and do not give up on yourself!!!
  • dvoross
    dvoross Posts: 39
    Options
    Thank you for reaching out and congratulations on your success so far!!! That is wonderful. I am so happy to hear that it is possible to achieve! Friend request will be sent. What do you find the hardest habit to break?
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am starting over again after being on the yo-yo for the past several years....I gained 30 pounds last year and I am thoroughly disgusted with myself. So.....I am starting over again. You are not in this alone!
  • dvoross
    Options
    We can do this! I have my one goal to lose 100 pounds, but I'm also setting smaller goals such as making sure I log my food everyday for at least a week. I'm hoping that will instill some good habits for me. One day at a time. :)
  • erin_larson
    erin_larson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I know very well what it feels like to isolate yourself off from the world, from fearing the ridicule and judgement that others pass onto you. You had the courage to reach out and seek help and you are among friends here. Having and holding onto that courage as you progress on your journey is the greatest gift you can give yourself. Feel free to read my profile and add me as a friend.
  • GardenGirlie
    Options
    Thank you for reaching out and congratulations on your success so far!!! That is wonderful. I am so happy to hear that it is possible to achieve! Friend request will be sent. What do you find the hardest habit to break?

I think for me the greatest feeling of loss at times comes from not being able to just mindlessly or casually eat once in awhile. It would be so much simpler to do but the calories from that can rack up so quickly and it is not something I am willing to do. I log daily and am very diligent in my food and water logging as well as exercise. I have not missed a day of logging on since I began in earnest on July 5th of last year.
  • dvoross
    Options
    I think you've just become my new hero. Never missing a day is going to be a real challenge for me. Life is so busy, but I have to learn to make time for what is important and THIS is important! :)
  • dvoross
    Options
    Thank you Erin. When I first logged into the forums, I kept seeing so many young people with just a few pounds (<20) to lose. It was very scary. It's good to know that I am not alone here. I will be happy to send a friend request. :)
  • Nic37013
    Nic37013 Posts: 17
    Options
    Sending you a friend request! 41 here and although I am married- on this weight loss journey I am pretty much single. Hubby actually said "Yeah you have a good time with that." (it took ALL I had not to tell him it wouldn't hurt him to drop some of HIS post-marriage weight!!) My ticker lies- When these 31 pounds are gone I plan on quitting smoking so the weight WILL be back. I'm here for the long haul :)
  • GardenGirlie
    Options
    I think you've just become my new hero. Never missing a day is going to be a real challenge for me. Life is so busy, but I have to learn to make time for what is important and THIS is important! :)

That is exactly how I feel. THIS is important. We are worth it! I cannot imagine not starting my day with a cup of coffee and MFP. That is what I do 7 days a week. It makes it easier to never miss a day of logging in if you can make it a routine...first thing in the morning, right before bedtime, etc. I am on and off all day long but even if I vacation or am busy...at the absolute least it is first thing in the morning. I also pre-log most of my days first thing, including lunch and dinner. It might change up a bit but for the most part I log a plan that works for the days numbers and I stick to it. That really helps too!

I am going to love watching your success. A year from now it will be you helping someone else because you are down 100 pounds. Trust me...you have heard it before from others I am sure...if I can do it anyone can do it!!!! :-)
  • dvoross
    Options
    Nic, single or married, we all need support. If you cannot find it at home, that is what we are here for. :)
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    i gained all my weight when i stopped smoking too :( i'm not single ... but we are at least close in age .. i just turned 41 on the 23 .. I have at least 60lbs to lose ... :( and i just restarted over again :\
  • dvoross
    Options
    I am so grateful to everyone here for offering the support and encouragement. It is very welcome. I have lacked the support the past few times I've tried to do this so please keep the friend requests coming! :)