I live in a fat household, motivation help please.

I currently live in a household where everyone is overweight, but I'm the only person who is concerned with trying to lose any weight. They try to help me by buying 1% milk instead of 2% (although I'd rather have skim, but no one is going for that so 1% suffices), buying whole grain breads, & buying more fruits & vegetables in general. But they also buy tons of junk foods for themselves & me still, & I've asked them to not offer me these things because I'm still very bad with willpower. Sometimes I can just grab an apple or something instead, but when I'm reaaallly craving something, I don't have just fruit to grab. I know I should get my willpower in check, but I just need a while without junk first. I have tried to get them on board, but they don't care about whether or not they are healthy. Please, some motivation help pleaseee.

Replies

• alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    aww :( i am so sorry you are going through that. do you get to go grocery shopping with whoever shops? If so ... sneak some healthy stuff in the cart for yourself.

i kind of know how you feel but i am in a different situation. my boyfriend n i live together with my 15 y/o daughter. And he is cheap ... so "junk" is cheaper than the heathly stuff ... like .99 cent bread which is horrible for you vrs the good bread that is $2.99 or $3.99 ... I get stuck with the unhealthy stuff because he is cheap :( but I did sneak in some healthy bread this time n i hid it in the back of all the other bread ... so no one else uses it lol
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Can you have them put it in a separate place, like a separate cupboard, that way you don't ever need to go into that cupboard? Take it one day at a time. For today I will have no junk food. Find ways to distract yourself If you want junk food, take a walk, call a friend, read the message boards.. anything for 20mins to see if the craving passes. The stronger you can be there more it will help your willpower! you can do this.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    I don't think it is fair to expect everyone else to change their ways of eating for you.

In my house, I was the only overweight person when I was at my heaviest. We still bought the same foods we always did for my husband and kids when I got serious.

I learned to portion control and keeping other items readily available that are healthier options so others still ate the same as they were. This was my journey not theirs.

At some point, you will need to learn that will power so starting now is good.

It can be tough and hard to refuse things you crave, I've been there but once you start walking away from the temptations, it gets easier over time.
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    This is your journey -- not theirs. You can't decide to make a life change and expect everyone else to fall in line with your ideals and goals. Believe me, I wish my husband would work out with me and not keep junk food in the house. I feel your pain. You've got to be accountable for yourself. No one is jamming bad foods down your throat, just like they're not stopping you from getting your own healthy foods. And the best part of living the healthier lifestyle? They won't eat all of your food. Keep moving in the right direction and remember that you're the only person who decides what you eat.
  • I think a little support from her family in the way of her eating would be extremely helpful. I lived in an abusive relationship for 8 years, with someone who was overweight and extremely unhealthy- and that's when I gained the bulk of my weight. It wasn't that I didn't have will power, but that I felt so defeated because of the abuse and because of the lack of support.

It doesn't make you a weak person to need support, but rather it makes you human! My fiance now is so wonderful. He gave up red meats and alfredo sauces and white bread for me, as well as chocolate. I do have cheat days once a week or once a month depending on whatever, and he supports me, but doesn't let me go overboard. I still keep my calories in check.

I think not having a proper support system is going to set you up for failure. I'm seeing a dietican and she's so completely supportive as well.
  • browndubc
    browndubc Posts: 3 Member
    Are you still living at home?

If you are living at home with parents, put yourself in the position of being in charge of the food and meals. You can't and shouldn't force others to change but you can plan and prepare the family's meals and make them healthier, portion controlled meals. This means you will have go to the grocery store, and learn how to cook. It's easy, just youtube whatever dish you want to make and there will be dozens of results showing you how, make enough for everyone then immediately put any leftovers in the fridge. If they want snacks foods or junk foods, you can't stop them. But that doesn't mean you have to eat those foods, when they offer you some politely refuse. If you think it's to hard, your going to have to suck it up. Let your results be you're motivation. When you feel like a snack, drink a glass of water first and see if you still want that snack.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I was told I needed some self control on here but gosh all that temptation is hard. I guess work around it, go into the other room, take a walk. If we want to lose the weight we will find a way no matter what.
  • mysterioustea
    mysterioustea Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you guys for the great ideas, and I know I can't force my family to join me, but I can work through this! Thanks again.