Question on increasing running distance

Options
I recently completed the C25K program and I have the 10K app and have done a couple of the workouts from that and I love it. I would really like to do the 10K program but I don't have enough time to do a workout from the app each time I run.

I run between 1.5-3 miles 2-3 days a week. On top of that, on Saturdays I have the time for a longer run and I have been doing 1 workout of the 10K app. I realize at this rate it will take me ages to finish the 10K app and am totally fine with that. My question is training wise, is it ok to have 1 day a week where I run longer distances and the rest of the time it's fairly short? Is there some ratio between long and short runs that I shouldn't exceed?

I'm sorry if this question doesn't make sense. I'm new to running and to be honest am completely surprised that I find myself wanting to run longer distances! The me of a year ago would think the me of today is crazy!

Replies

• southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading your question correctly you're asking if one long run day a week is ok. That's actually what most runners do. My long run day is always Saturday where I run anywhere from 10-22 miles depending on my training. Every other run is anywhere between 4-10 miles depending on the day of the week.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    When increasing distance, you only need to do one longer run a week to accomplish this.

The experts say to increase your distance by 10% each week. So the other two days can remain shorter runs.

On Saturday, go from let's say 4 miles this week and then next week 4.8 miles and so forth.
  • Kidsonic
    Kidsonic Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!