Not seeing results - am I doing something wrong?

Options
Hey there,
I'm 5'4" 140lbs. For the past 4 years I've been at around 125lbs, but about a year ago I started getting really horrible anxiety attacks and stopped eating as much as I should have been because of it. I dropped 10 lbs in under 2 months, but stayed at 115 for a couple of months. Although 115 isn't an unhealthy weight for my height, I just felt too skinny, so I started to try and gain 5lbs back. I started eating and eating but didn't see any weight put on, and ended up just stopping paying attention. Next thing I know, it's a few months later and I step on the scale and I'm at 135. So, I started exercising every day and watching what I eat and how many calories I'm taking in, and I weight myself a couple weeks later, and I've gained 5 pounds. What gives?

For the past 2 months I've been exercising about and hour to an hour and a half 5-6 days a week (30 min. strength training, 30-60 min. walking at incline on treadmill/ interval training) and eating between 1400-1700 calories per day, depending on how much I exercise. I have seen absolutely NO results! I haven't lost any weight, but I haven't gained any either, which I would attribute to gaining muscle, except that I also haven't lost any inches. Anybody have any advice? I've been working so hard, and not being able to see any results is pretty discouraging.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How do you track your calories in? Do you use a food scale, measuring cups, eyeball the portions?
  • fanybandit
    Options
    I use measuring cups most of the time, if I can't measure the food and it's not pre-measured, I eyeball it, but whenever I do that I tend to overestimate the amount, just in case.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'd keep it closer to 1500 than 1700 for several weeks, see if that helps.

2 months seems like a long time, but if you eat at maintenance a few days a week either due to underestimation of calories eaten or overestimation of calories burned, then that could stall you right there.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you're not using a food scale, then you're eating more than you think. Measuring cups are meant for liquid items - what is supposed to '1 cup' of a solid item, when you weigh it in grams, is often less per serving than what you get when you fill the cup.

Even relying on 'pre-measured' food is not, well, reliable. Bread for example often says x calories per slice, 2 slices = 41 grams. When I weigh it, 2 slices is usually between 45-49 grams. Every little bit adds up. An extra 10% calories here, 20% there. Eyeballing fruit can be problematic, if you use entries for a medium banana - but who is to say what that is based on? Even more calorie-dense vegetables have the same issue.

Get a food scale - and use it to know how much you're really consuming. Until you do that, you don't know what deficit you actually have. Also be careful that you're not overestimating your calorie burns. As a 140 pound person, you don't burn a lot per minute. For 30 minutes walking on a treadmill, about 200. Maybe a little more if you're really pushing yourself, doing a major incline, etc.
  • fanybandit
    Options
    I actually think I might have a food scale, I'll have to start weighing my food and see how much I actually eat in a day. And yeah, I know I don't burn a whole lot of calories at my weight, but most days I spend an hour on the treadmill going up and down between 8-12% incline at 2.5-3 mph. And I keep track of my heart rate to make sure I stay between 130-160 bpm.
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a lot of carbs? That can wreak havoc with your insulin response and make you retain fat. Just a thought. You might try increasing your protein and healthy fats intake and reduce the carbs (especially the higher glycemic ones like bread, white potatoes, certain fruits, fruit juices etc.)
  • fanybandit
    Options
    I eat a pretty balanced diet, well, at least I think so. Whenever I have fruit it's usually an apple, pear, or banana, or some berries, I eat a bunch of vegetables, and I try to limit the amount of carbs I take in. Whenever I have any bread, it's either whole wheat or whole grain, and I very rarely eat potatoes or pasta. And pretty much only drink water, except for my cup of coffee in the morning.