I hope this stops

Options
Pete1964AK
Pete1964AK Posts: 85 Member
I know it's verging on the TMI side of things however.....

My daily fluid intake used to be between 3 - 6 cups of home ground, really good black coffee, 2 or 3 cups of tea and 1 - 2 cans of diet coke.

Since I started on here, 3 weeks ago, I'm down by a cup or two of coffee and have reduced the diet coke by at least half. And I have been drinking an additional 8 cups of water, about half of that flavoured with Crystal Light.

My question is regarding my body getting rid of all this fluid. I feel like I'm having to pee a whole lot more than I ever used, like a dozen times a day more, and I am having to get up to pee through the night as well. (which really bugs me). I've stopped drinking anything after 9.00 PM, and that seems to be helping.
Is my body going to adapt to the greater throughput of fluid or am I destined to spend the rest of my life wearing a groove in the floor heading for the bathroom?

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm actually having this issue, too - so I'm piggybacking on your post. I'm tired of peeing at night especially.
  • chism21
    chism21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    no doctor here, but I as current peeer
    It depends in how much water the you used to drink before?

Also the increase in urine might be your body trying to get rid of the toxins.
    that with your previous water intake couldn't
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I pee like a racehorse...nuff said
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    no doctor here either but for me it did get better after a while (not sure how long, I wasn't really paying attention), just hang in there!
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I like to pee (is that weird?)

Its how I know I am drinking enough water.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    Everything you eat contains water, fruits, vegetables, include to that coffee, tea, soups, juices, etc. There is no proof at least according to Health Canada that we require 8 glasses of water a day, what they recommend is drink as needed. If you exercise, sweat a lot, or the temperature is hot, etc you do need to consume more water. If you consume lots of sodium you need to increase your water intake to flush it out of your system. There is also no proof that it helps losing weight.

They think that the idea of 8 glass a day came from a campain to decrease the consumption of high sugary drinks.

So drink but not to the point that you end up in the washroom every 30 minutes.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor but when I increased my water I peed like crazy, until my body got used to it. It took awhile.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    At first it was really rough - up several times a night. A woman I work with assured me it would get better and it did. Hang in there.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I had to a lot at first probably the first month or slow :) Now I am back to regular :) I drink 1/2 of my body weight in ounces of water each day or more. :) I was advised to do this by my personal trainer since I am weight lifting hydration helps repair the muscles :) As everyone else said hang in there it does get better :)
  • klfoster88
    klfoster88 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My body got used to it after awhile so just hold on
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I like to pee (is that weird?)

Its how I know I am drinking enough water.

:blushing: Me, too! And, I critique the color (almost colorless=very well hydrated / too dark = dehydrated, IMHO/YMMV).

ETA: And I strength train, so extra water intake is good for the muscles. So, sometimes my fluid retention may mask fat loss. Oh, well. My muscles are happy, and not wasting away during my cut.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    We get some of our fluid from foods.
    There is no science behind the eight glasses of eight ounces a day:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20620753

How-to books, beauty journals, the Internet, and the media usually recommend drinking six to eight glasses of water each day for keeping the skin hydrated, helping it look healthier, and making it less prone to wrinkles. We have found no scientific proof for this recommendation; nor is there proof, we must admit, that drinking less water does absolutely no harm. The only certainty about this issue is that, at the end of the day, we still await scientific evidence to validate what we know instinctively to be true--namely, that it is all a myth.
    Copyright 2010 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
  • flawwd
    flawwd Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Your body will get used to it in a bit. The trouble with drinking caffeinated beverages only is that they relatively dehydrate you and your kidneys respond by conserving water. Then they get overwhelmed when you start adding in water.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    From the research I've done we only really need about 4 cups of water on average a day to have a healthy set of organs. This will vary by person, by how much one sweats, how much work your organs must do based on size and humidity. Of course we are able to go more or less some and be fine, but never drink more than 2 liters an hour or water intoxication can occur.
    My two bits
  • suiteblooms
    suiteblooms Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm (as others have pointed out) not a dr. However, any dr will tell you that artificial sweeteners are terrible for your health, so that would be my primary worry. (Sorry I'm sure you are at least a bit addicted - I was to reg soda myself.) After that... when was your last health screening? as your name suggests, you may be just a bit older. (ALSO VERY SORRY TO BRING UP>) Maybe it's time for a prostate exam? :noway: Gosh I'm sure you hate me right now. My best guess is that as your body gets accustomed to the fluids, it will be a bit more friendly. I sure hope so :happy: