Throat burn whilst running ... Help..

Options
Hello, I'm on week 4 of c25k, and found this week a real struggle to run for 5 mins... My throat burns, and there is no way I could hold a conversation whilst running! Any tips on what I can do to make this more bearable? I really don't want to give up running, does it get easier? Any advice appreciated. Thankyou

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    drink some, run slower.
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Like a sore throat, or just dry?? Maybe try drinking more before your run, or carry a bottle of water with you.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I carry a little 10oz water bottle with me while I run. Not because I need it to hydrate but just because it's more comfortable for me if I keep my throat a bit wet and swallowing doesn't always cut it.

If you can't hold a conversation while running, you're running too fast and need to slow down.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Slow down and concentrate on your breathing rhythm, building endurance, and distance. You speed will improve over time. It does get easier and you will love every minute of it!

Good luck!
  • Chriscut7163
    Options
    Thanks for replies, I do carry water with me and finish it just over half way of 5k. I feel I'm hardly running fast at all, I tried shutting my mouth but my nose couldn't cope! I really didn't think I was THAT unfit?.
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    As slow as you think you are running, go sloooooooweer. Right now, you just need to be focused on gaining endurance.
  • Chriscut7163
    Options
    Thank you, I will try very hard to go slower, :)
  • Johnplusfour
    Johnplusfour Posts: 105
    Options
    It's nothing wrong with you. You'll build up a tolerance for it. Just like controlling your breathing and starting out at the right pace and not cramping up. Long Distance runners sometimes carry very small water bottles with them. get one of those and take a sip if it gets bad. Or you could be tough about it. You're not gonna dehydrate in 20 minutes so long as you're drinking right to begin with. Look at it this way: in the marines our fitness test is a 3 mile run in preferably under 24 minutes and we're between 18 and 45yo. Nobody ever carries water with them and we've been doing it this way for a very long time.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Slooooooooooow down.
    And drink some water.
  • jilly91877
    jilly91877 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It took me quite a while to get past this feeling too. I think I did the C25K in about 2 or 3 times the amount of time, just because I was having trouble getting the breathing down. I'm happy to say, it's been over a year now, and I ran my first 8k, and made it through the whole thing. The breathing does eventually get better. I didn't think it would ever happen, but now I can actually understand those people that look happy jogging :). Keep at it, go at your own pace, but DON'T GIVE UP! You can do it!
  • camarkim
    camarkim Posts: 2
    Options
    As others have said, slow down and really try to maintain a pace where you can sustain a conversation. You may be breathing faster and shallower than you may think, which brings on that "throat burning" feeling. Try using your footsteps to count as you breathe in (ideally through your nose) and as you exhale (ideally through your mouth). This takes awhile and a lot of practice. And even then, some people prefer 4 counts in, 4 counts out, or 3/3, etc. But I'd say 2/2, or 1/1 is not good unless you are sprinting. (And even then it might still be bad because you may not be getting enough oxygen.)

Maybe try a few yoga classes to learn how to do deep breathing, which helps as your running technique and cardio functions improve.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started c25k in early January and just today ran 12k using 2/2 breathing. I am able to run comfortably doing it that way, so just try it out and do whatever works for you. It does get easier, I promise :)
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Whenever my throat is burning while im exercising its from acid =/ gotta take a zantac before the gym sometimes

Could be that, could be you need to slow down/take it easy, or just drink more water
  • shannybn
    shannybn Posts: 7
    Options
    I have found this happens to me when walking up hills, I take lots of sips of water and I have found that chewing gum helps a little as it keeps the saliva going in your mouth, don't know if it would help while jogging though, maybe worth a try, chew it with your mouth closed and you have to breathe through your nose lol. I have only just started couch25k today will be week 1 day 2! So I am an absolute novice. The more experienced folk on here will tell you if the chewing gum is a no-no. Let me know if you find a cure,
  • Chriscut7163
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the imput. I will try out the 3/3 breathing technique, something to focus on, keeping my mouth shut, and breathing in through nose and out through mouth.. I ll spend more time running on the flat, as the last jog was up a hill into the wind, maybe a little ambitious? Thanks. Again.. I will keep at it, about to start week 5 day 1