friend requests with no messages

Options
itsbasschick
itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
i'm puzzled why people send friend requests with no message whatsoever. i have 2 requests right now that not only don't include a message, and their activities are private. do they and i have anything in common - goals, music, taste in food, life interests? i have no idea. neither are near my age, nor do either of them live in my area. one of the 2 also has a blank profile.

if you send out friend requests, it might be helpful to send a message along with it so there's something to talk about.

Replies

• LeopardSpottedWombat
    Options
    I agree! I like to have an idea of who the person is, even if it's vague and I'll learn more over time.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I have a similar question posted, but it's about what the right amount of friends I can handle. I think that one criteria in the future will be this. If I don't know why a person wan't to be friends in the beginning I won't accept. I always tell people what attracted me. I don't want or need just a list of people without it being meaningful.
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they have just joined the site and have no clue how things work on mfp. Sometimes they are just really shy and don't really know what to say. Either way, they deserve a shot because who knows they might become your best freind down the road. You can always delete them with one single click whenever you want.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they have just joined the site and have no clue how things work on mfp. Sometimes they are just really shy and don't really know what to say. Either way, they deserve a shot because who knows they might become your best freind down the road. You can always delete them with one single click whenever you want.

Good point. Would you say something when you delete or just cross some one out?
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options

I wont say anything. Saying something would only lead to drama.
  • LeopardSpottedWombat
    Options

I know that I would certainly say something if it was a person I had really talked to a bit... I mean, it might feel a little awkward letting someone know I'm deleting them, but it would feel strange to dismiss them without a word. If it was a person I had never even spoken too, maybe I wouldn't say anything. I'm not sure.
  • lienn1
    lienn1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am new on here. I made a comment to a post, asking for friends. A few people have added me without any information.Honestly, it does not bother me. I recently requested to be someone's friend with a comment about what I like about their post or how I can relate to that person. I think it is to each its own. Is possible to write something on your profile to suggest a comment from new friend requests?

P.S. I have wanted to add a few people because I have found them inspirational or right on with what they are saying.
  • lynnierose9
    lynnierose9 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I will send a message with my friend request. Sometimes I honestly click to fast and never send a message. I do it when I am in middle of things and just overlook it. I think I am set up on public diary but working on blog to make it open to friends
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I accept, check out their profile, and defriend immediately if necessary :)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    No message= No Accept, It is posted on my profile and I follow it always.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I deny those unless we have mutuals, especially if they never say anything in the forums. Yes, some new people don't know any better and deserve a chance, but most of those types of FR have turned out to be crazy people for me.
  • Tigre_Lily
    Tigre_Lily Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me at all. I will check out your profile and decide if I want to add you or not.
  • Taiser
    Taiser Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Meh, I've sent them out like that and received them. I usually do it if I read something interesting that they posted, then I check their profile and if I see stuff in common or I like, I'll friend request. Pain in the *kitten* to small talk in a friend message... what more are you gonna learn about me in two or three words that you won't in my profile? If the requester has a locked profile though, then that's f'd up... Check my request, read my profile, if not interested don't accept, your loss not mine. :laugh:

Might be different from a girls point of view though since their seems to be some weirdos around! :wink:
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    No message= No Accept, It is posted on my profile and I follow it always.

Many people do the above quote and I agree totally... if I get a request with no message and there is no info I just say no... some of these are gamers and some are just trying to add as many 'friends' as they can like they do OFTEN on facebook... and I am not into it.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have accepted in the past but ended up with a couple of people who were "beachbody coaches" and recommending supplements to me, so I'm not accepting blank friend requests in the future.
  • smoootka
    smoootka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i'm puzzled why people send friend requests with no message whatsoever. i have 2 requests right now that not only don't include a message, and their activities are private. do they and i have anything in common - goals, music, taste in food, life interests? i have no idea. neither are near my age, nor do either of them live in my area. one of the 2 also has a blank profile.

if you send out friend requests, it might be helpful to send a message along with it so there's something to talk about.

couldn't agree more. i don't accept requests without a message. i write one if i add someone, too.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I personally dont care. If the person ends up being a weirdo, I just delete them.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I too am new to this site and I don't do FB so all of this advice is welcome. :smile:
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    qyAoOxg.gif
  • molly92002
    molly92002 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Morning. ....eeks..I have been guilty of this at times...sorry for those I didnt add message. I am always looking for friends to follow for support ideas recipes...tears and friendship...