Seriously considering at stopping the logging.

Options
Just to think, logging food and keeping records is really only for beginners, I mean I really needed the information when I started 10 months ago, but these days, I just estimate what I eat, know what foods to avoid or eat less off, And I only now log everything at the end of the day and never find myself going seriously over my limit.

I think constant logging in the long-term just slows down your metabolism, keeps you feeling cold and miserable, and even unplanned weight loss.

Replies

• silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    For me, the logging keeps me accountable, even if I eyeball just about everything now. Like you said, it's easier now once you know how to eat properly, workout, and so forth.

I know when I stop logging, I don't really pay as much attention to what I eat/do.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think constant logging in the long-term just slows down your metabolism, keeps you feeling cold and miserable, and even unplanned weight loss.

How would logging your food slow down your metabolism??? Or lead to an unplanned weight loss??? Assuming, of course, that you're eating to an appropriate daily surplus of calories.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I am almost at goal weight and plan to keep logging in the rest of my life. Food and calories have a habit of doing sneaky stealth attacks on humans, and I have no intention of letting that happen again.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

How would logging your food slow down your metabolism??? Or lead to an unplanned weight loss??? Assuming, of course, that you're eating to an appropriate daily surplus of calories.

^This. I don't see how logging would cause any of what you say it would cause since you would be changing your goals on MFP and meeting them just like if you were maintaining or losing.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. I personally need accountability :) I will always count and write down what I eat if I don't know that is where the trouble will start :)
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Letting your body tell you when it's time to eat, and not your diary.

Anyway my eating habits have changed completely, I eat completely different foods these days, im happy with it, it's just common sense how to control your eating habitswhen you do when you been already been logging for over 200 days like me.
  • 4ALongerLife
    4ALongerLife Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me, the logging keeps me accountable, even if I eyeball just about everything now. Like you said, it's easier now once you know how to eat properly, workout, and so forth.

I know when I stop logging, I don't really pay as much attention to what I eat/do.

TOTALLY agree! And to me, when I don't log, I start kidding myself. That those few almonds don't add up. That a bite here didn't add in too much. That skipping that workout was only once this week.

The #1 tool in successful long term weight loss? Logging. Social support is #2. MFP gives you both. Why stay away from this site/app? I'm in this for the long haul and so far, 2 years down, mfp has been a part of that for me. I'm not straying from what seems to work.

I wish I was skinny. Wish I could eat like a thin person. Well for me, this is normal now... and I am thin. It's just a tool to help me self monitor and get back on track hopefully more quickly if/when I fall off the wagon.

So although it is too each his own, I hope you will consider what I've said and rethink your decision.
  • CamilleJackie350
    Options
    deer diary
  • Alienboy15
    Options
    Helps me reach the goals I'm looking for as far as nutrition goes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,531 Member
    Options
    If you have 0 weight to lose and feel your eating is fine, then by all means quit logging. That means you got it figured out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Try it for 2 months see how you go, it's the only way to tell, why 2 months? I dont know just seemed about right to get a good gague if its right for you.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Even if you choose to stop logging your calories, keep some kind of accountability check like weighing in and measurements. Because the "and then I gained it all back... and then some" has happened to so many people and I'd hesitate to assume that anybody is really immune to the possibility.
  • shardan123
    Options
    I need to log as sometimes when I try to 'guesstimate' I go too low and other times the foods or exercise I think are ok have not left me with enough calories left for the meal I had planned.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think of it like financial accountability. I constantly have to check my bank account. Record everything. Decide priorities. I have do it with money and I have to do it with food or I lose track. It's just a fact of life for me im fine with that. Its not traumatizing at all.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What do you think logging is? Logging doesn't mean you have to eat at a deficit. It just means you're recording how many calories you consume. You can gain weight while logging, you can maintain weight while logging, you can lose weight while logging.

I like logging to keep myself from going overboard with the treats. I also like tracking how much fiber/protein/sodium/etc. I'm getting. I'll definitely keep logging on MFP even when I lose these last five pounds and start maintaining.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Given that I've logged my food in one way or another (I started with a notebook and only moved to MFP about 5 months ago) for the last 5 years I wouldn't really consider myself a beginner. But I have been successful, losing my original ~35kg and keeping them off for ~5 years and now losing the last few kilos to make me a decent race weight.

I have been successful by sticking with the tool that helped me in the first place (logging my food). I think that people abandoning the tools that helped them lose the weight is what leads to yoyo dieting, but that's just my opinion.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think if you can maintain without logging, then find; don't log. You're probably a lot better off not logging if you don't need to do it. Some people need to continue, others don't.

I don't see how on earth logging your food intake could slow down your metabolism though. The whole point of logging in maintenance is to make sure you getting the right amount of food your body needs - not too much and not too little.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    With your posting history I'm surprised and glad that you think you can maintain without logging. Good for you and hope it works out - logging in maintenance doesn't seem to have helped with your relationship with food so sensible to give it a go. Maintaining without logging is the ultimate prize in many ways.

Nothing to do with metabolism though, neither food logging or "letting your body tell you when it's time to eat" are going to change your metabolism.

My body tells me it's time to eat the whole time I'm awake! At some stage I will try not logging but my history suggests that what feels like intuitive eating to me leads to slow weight gain.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Because it's like science man!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't see how being accountable, (which logging does for me), could even warrant the statement " It could slow down your metabolism".
    If you don't want to log, stop.