How fast do you jog?

Options

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Jog mostly. but these are good answers. Just seeing how slow I am... and I'm pretty slow apparently. Oh well its exercise still

Can I honestly suggest you something? Never ever compare yourself to other people's run. And here is why

1) You do not know for how many years they have been running.
    2) You do not know what terrain they are running on - hilly or flat.
    3) age - They may be a lot younger to you.
    4) Gender does make a difference. Men are faster. PERIOD.
    5) You do not know the time they are mentioning is of a run from a perfect weather.

Lots of factors to be considered.

Girl, You are the toughest competitor to yourself. Set a competition against her.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Jog mostly. but these are good answers. Just seeing how slow I am... and I'm pretty slow apparently. Oh well its exercise still

Can I honestly suggest you something? Never ever compare yourself to other people's run. And here is why

5) You do not know the time they are mentioning is of a run from a perfect weather.

You are the most tough competitor to yourself. Set a competition against youself.

All of this.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    It depends on a lot. I can run anywhere from as fast a 9:30 mm to as slow as a 11:30 mm.
    aboout the same for me..

fastest mile has been and 8:55

when i started 18 months ago i was at a 13:30 pace
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Faster than some ... slower than others.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't jog... I run. :laugh:
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    6...when i'm in shape 7
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    Faster than that dude sitting on the sofa eating Twinkies.
    Slower than that super athlete who is winning racing medals every weekend.
  • ajones1965
    ajones1965 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Slowly, but I'm just starting out, I figure speed will come as I get fitter.....got to be better than just sitting on my bum!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I don't jog... I run. :laugh:

^^^^ This :D
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    4mph exactly....lol 15 minute mile.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I run. And when I run, I'm slow. Working on getting faster. Not comparing myself to others; it doesn't matter. I detest that quote about beating those still sitting on the couch, because it focusses on the wrong thing in my opinion.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    FAdi2WQ.jpg
    It depends on how scary the zombies are...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Depends what's chasing me!
  • Territrek
    Territrek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    "Jogging" has a nebulous meaning. I don't not use it. If both feet are momentarily off the ground at the same time, then one is running. Otherwise, one is walking if one foot always maintains contact with the ground. In other words, if during your stride, you are air born at any time, then you are running. In walking, at least one of the feet is maintaining contact with the ground at all times.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The differences between jogging and running are not clear-cut.

Personally I wouldn't draw a distinction. One is walking, or one is running, there is no jogging

And as above, my pace depends on the objectives of the session.

Most of my recovery or easy pace work is about 6min per km, tempos are generally about 5min per km and intervals will hit an average of about 4:30 per km. That said most of my sessions are in the 8-14km range with some being up to 24km. If I'm doing a 5km threshold session I'll be around the 4:45 min km mark.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    The differences between jogging and running are not clear-cut.

Personally I wouldn't draw a distinction. One is walking, or one is running, there is no jogging

There is for me - I jog to recover from running. Running is more of a forward motion, jogging is more of a bouncy, up-and-down motion and is much less effort. But it only makes sense to make the distinction between your own running and your own jogging paces.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out and average about 16 min. mile. That includes jogging and running. On a treadmill, I am able to keep my speed at about 4.5. So, I am slower than slow!

Stick with it. I think I was slower than this when I was just starting. Speed comes with time. Congratulations on starting!
  • PaytraB
    Options

You are the most tough competitor to yourself. Set a competition against youself.

All of this.

Great post. Always remember this. You're running for yourself and only yourself.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Slowly, but I'm just starting out, I figure speed will come as I get fitter.....got to be better than just sitting on my bum!

Keep going! You're attitude is great. Speed will come over time.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    My pace is dependent on my route (hilly routes slow me down), my energy level and my goal (usually a distance) for that run.

My usual, more relaxed pace, on level ground, is around 7:15-7:45 per kilometer (about a 12 minute mile). If I want to run longer (more than 5-6K), I slow down....way down. I aim for about 8:15-8:30 per kilometer.

Keep running and go as slow as you need to in order to make it through your running session. Speed happens over time. In the beginning, you're just trying to make it through a session.