Newbie just can't seem to lose weight...

Options
Hi all so I am a 31 year old male who weighs 206lbs and I'm just shy of 6' I'm currently doing the workout program P90X3 AND I jog an average of 15-20 miles a week.

Here's my issue. I was originally quite small then I ballooned to 230lbs shortly after moving stateside before having my papers to work. I was then able to get down to 190lbs but struggled to go any lower than that. My goal was and still is 180lbs (although I've been told the healthy body weight for my size is like 165-170lbs). For some reason despite my healthy diet ,I cut out soda, candy, chips and pretty much all junk altogether and what I consider to be significant amount of weekly excersise I just don't seem to be losing weight.

I also drink 1scoop per day of Whey Protein powder with low fat milk usually straight after excersise.

If anybody has any advice I'm all ears!!! And thanks in advance.

Also I'm awful at calorie counting/working out ACCURATELY what amount of calories I should be eating to LOSE weight

Martin

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Who told you that a healthy weight for a 6'1" male is 165 to 170lbs?!?! That's insane... Bottom line is if you're keeping everything as consistent as possible (calorie intake, water intake, sodium intake, etc) and you're not seeing a downward trend in you're weight then you need to decrease calories intake or increase calorie burn. Sounds like you're not doing any form of heavy lifting at the moment. I would HIGHLY recommend it otherwise you're going to be losing a good amount of muscle as you lose weight which you don't want.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The last 10 pounds are apparently the hardest to loose (I haven't got there yet lol).

From what I read it sounds like you're doing a lot of things right already. Did you set your goals based off the X3 nutrition guide?

With P90X, progress can sometimes seem slow, but the benefits are massive. Look for other victories such as inches lost, increased flexibility and overall strength gains.

Use MFP to log all of your food. It will help you evaluate where you are either over or potentially under eating.
    Feel free to add me.

Good luck and congratulations on all of your hard work to date.
  • Martsmac1982
    Options
    Not sure now where I read those weights......but I admit they do sound unrealistic. TBH I would be ecstatic if i could reach a ripped 185lbs.

I'm 6'0" BTW not 6'1" not that its a huge difference..... My "heavy" lifting is only what I get from P90X3 at the moment which is limited by the weights I have which at the moment are 1 set of 12lb dumbells and 1 set of 5lb dumbells which I am pretty sure is no where near enough.

I AM a keen running though and when I push myself I can reach quite far runs, just yesterday I managed 7 miles in one straight shot (have pictures to upload but I'm not sure how to on here). I REALLY enjoy running probably more than any other workouts but I also read that if you are running in the An-aerobic zone you are less likely to burn fat and more likely to burn carbs/muscle.....is this true?? and that long distance running CAN have ab adverse effect on weight loss/muscle gain.

Any help is appreciated!

Martin

P.S. I have started to drink the protein with water now instead of milk to cut out even more calories!