I want to give up

Options
Idk if I can do this I haven't been dieting cause I tried I gave up a day later and ate a Popeyes 4 piece I haven't been exercising thanks to my life being crappy and full of drama and I've been drinking pop again I'm in a downward spiral with no way of stopping I have been trying to lose weight now for two years now and still noting I've tried the tracking the not eating what you really want cause of too many points I had stop drinking pop I was eating greens and eating yogurt I've even tried not eating all together in 2 years I've only lost at least 10 pounds and gained it right back if I even eat a little ice cream or cake and it sucks! I have no idea what to do anymore I want to just quit and be 200+ pounds I don't know what to do I'm at my wits end

Replies

• tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Well first of all don't give up ! Choose yourself over 4 pieces of chicken and DON'T EVER STARVE YOURSELF to try to lose weight again. The word diet's first definition is what person or animal usually eats or drinks. So eat better choices with some of the things you like at first. Definately drama in your life can make getting a chance to exercise difficult, but maybe not impossible. Message me or add me as a friend and maybe we can put our heads together and figure out a plan. Please include whatever info you don't mind sharing about the drama in your life.

You can do this just don't give up.

Take care and God bless you.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    You've mentioned some red flags:

Eliminating things you love

Eating one Popeyes meal is not a mortal sin , nor is it necessarily bad for weight loss. Can you make it fit within your calories?

Drinking pop isn't horrible either. Have you tried Diet soda? Similar taste to some, zero calories

You mention going over on points. Are you doing myfitnesspal or Weight watchers? MFP method has you logging everything you eat and so long as you stay under your allotted calories you should lose weight. There was a topic posted though about being able to see WW points on your MFP account if you like that sort of thing

What is your daily calorie goal set to? If it's low like 1200, please know that you could probably go quite a bit higher with the amount of weight you have to lose, and therefore eat more, which will give you more options to eat what you like

That said if you're exploring eating more whole foods, fruit and veg, keep it up! That can only be wonderful for you. You just have to make all the calories from all sources fit and as a whole, eat less calories than you burn, and you'll lose weight

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Go slowly.
    Why don't you try setting your loss at 1lb a week and when you can stay within your goal for say a month up it to 1.5lb?
    Still drink pop but tell yourself only as a treat with dinner and fill up a bottle of water and drink that all day.
    Eat what you want just in smaller portions.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    if you want to give up then give up, if you want to lose weight then keep going. Sounds blunt but it's the best advice you can hear. Do what you want, when you want to lose weight and get in shape then DO IT!!!
  • giardano
    giardano Posts: 13
    Options
    Don't stop!
    Record everything good and bad.
    I lost 3lbs and am just staying there despite exercising etc.
    If you give up recording you will just spiral back.
    Remember, this is just you and the numbers, you are accountable only to you.
  • rhina23
    rhina23 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Just one advice: Don't quit and follow the above suggestions!
    You will get there!
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I know it's discouraging sometimes. One slip-up won't ruin everything. Take baby steps, try eating well for just one day and celebrate it as a victory. Try cutting back on pop a little at a time. If you starve yourself it will slow your metabolism but if you eat right it will get back to normal eventually. Keep coming back to this site, you'll get lots of support here! God bless.
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You have to know that you are more important than the drama in your life and if you exercise right, you will get a big lift in your mood to help things along. The quickest exercise to do according to current research is the H.I.T. technique. This means just 15 mins TOTAL 2 - 3 times a week. Surely that's possible? If you have a bike, static or ordinary, you do a few minutes warm up, then 10 or 20 SECONDS of pedalling as fast as you can, take a breather for a few minutes, pedalling normally, then repeat 2 x's more. Then a minute more pedalling to cool down and you're done! Good luck :)
  • Shazam116
    Shazam116 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I know this may sound a bit cliche, but would it help at all if you only focus on one day, one hour, one choice at a time? Looking at the big picture can be overwhelming. Maybe try to take it one decision at a time. When you make a less than ideal choice, acknowledge it and then move past it. Beating yourself up will push you further down. I give myself permission to not be perfect and it really helps me psychologically. I also give myself credit for all the good in me instead of just seeing my mistakes. I hope you continue to move forward because you are worth it. You can make it! I am preaching to myself too. Please take everything I've said with a grain of salt because I do not walk in your shoes nor judge you. All the best to you :)
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. A few bad meals isn't the end of the world. We've all slipped up. Believe me, this journey isn't perfect. Pick yourself back up and keep on trying! Your health is worth it!
  • coaoalo
    coaoalo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. We can't make you want to keep going or make you decide to give up. If I were you I would not worry about "dieting" or exercising more than usual for a month. Just honestly log what you eat on here for one month. Get into the habit of it. Then you can set an overall calorie target for your day that gives slow weight loss. Once you've done that for a few weeks to a month you can decrease it again to lose weight faster if you want to.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Don't think of loosing xxx amount if weight. Loose one pound, then loose another.

Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together-Vincent Van Gogh

I think of this when my motivation is low. Good for you for reaching out to this community! That's what we are here for.
  • fatbegone85
    Options
    Don't give up *hug*. As others have mentioned, you don't have to completely cut out foods. Like you, I've tried several times. But for some reason this time seems a little easier. Before I ate at 1200 calories, and was losing at a rate of 10 pounds/month cutting out so much food and damn near starving myself. But you know what happened? I broke, and ate back all that I had lost. This time I'm losing weight pretty steadily, alot slower but I haven't cut out anything. I still eat the same more or less, just smaller portions with a mindful eye of just how many calories I have to spare for the day. Yesterday I really really wanted that dang lemon poppy muffin. And you know what? I had it. I logged it, just like I log everything. It was 400 calories less that I had to 'spend' but I still managed to have it and be under my daily calorie goal. You can do it, sweety. I've had to teach myself that I won't always get it right. And I know I may fall off the wagon a few times before I reach my goal. What's important is that you brush yourself off and jump right back on. Take note of how you feel when you do mess up and keep it in mind when you continue on on the future. Best of luck, and one more hug for the road *huggggs*
  • brucepodolski
    Options
    hey dont give up :D well i dont have overweight problem but i want to try to gain some weight :) because im really skinny do you have any suggestion on gaining my weight but maintain my cholestrol level??? by the way for those who want to quit,theres an alternative way if you dont got organised plan to lose weight http://bit.ly/1q0fbGC
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    if you want to give up then give up, if you want to lose weight then keep going. Sounds blunt but it's the best advice you can hear. Do what you want, when you want to lose weight and get in shape then DO IT!!!

This!

I tried & gave up so many times but I finally got to the point where I just thought "you know what, enough of this bull****. I want to healthier and fitter more than I want to sit on my *kitten* & mindlessly eat junk"

It really is just mind over matter, you CAN do ANYTHING as long as your head is in the game.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods, only bad amounts. From your tone, it sounds like your brain isn't getting the nutrients it needs. Set a reasonable calorie goal. Focus on one day at a time. Eat a variety of whole foods. Excercise when you can, it doesn't have to be excessive, but make it a part of your daily life.
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Your post gave me motivation. I have felt some of the same things you are feeling and sometimes just want to give up.but reading your post and the beautiful, generous advice of our fellow members is so inspiring. Good for you for reaching out, which tells me you don't really want to give up.

In addition to the good advice already shared, Read through success stories and other posts for inspiration. Track your measurements instead of weight. Get out of the house -- volunteer, walk a dog, make activity (not just exercise) part of your daily routine. Give yourself challenge days -- yesterday, I went all day without added sugar just to see if I could do it. It caused me to look at new options for satisfying my palate. Whatever your roadblock is, set a challenge to overcome it. Not for forever - just for a day to prove something to yourself.

You CAN do this --- your health depends on it (and sometimes your sanity!).
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Giving up will definitely help you lose weight and meet all of your goals.... said no one, ever.

I'm going to hazard to guess that your calorie goal was too low, you were eating too little, and you cut out foods you love. This is a recipe for disaster. There's no rule that says 'dieting' has to make you miserable. Eat the foods you love within a reasonable calorie goal. Enjoy life, lose weight, win.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have a friend of mine that desperately wants to lose weight. She has over 100 pounds to lose, and we are fitness pals. She can come up with more excuses not to exercise in one conversation than one could sit down and think of in a years time. Finally, I told her that her excuses, her reasons, her problems in life......WHERE HER PROBLEMS! I read your post, then re-read it again. I see a lot of the same whining and complaining and excuses in your post as my friend gives me.

Get off your whining post and figure out if you want to be 200 pounds or not. If you don't then do something about it. You got yourself that way and only you can get yourself out of this. Yes, gee, you are going to have to say "no" to Popeyes. Well, guess what....the rest of us out here losing weight successfully are having to say "no" to a lot of things. That is the price you pay, now, for the free for all eating that got you in this place in the past. Gee, you can't eat cake. Wow, what I would give for a mouthful of sugar....which I don't let myself have because I know I simply can't (T2 Diabetic, 32 pounds lost in 59 days).

I am not going to be "nice" to you while you whine. Get up, get moving, stop eating Popeyes and cake, and make a decision. We, who are having to give up things we like every day on our journey, have no sympathy for you. Blunt, painful to read, but I believe probably the truth.

Sorry if I offended any other posters.....but gee whiz!! Let's no coddle this young lady and be permissive of her failures. It does not sound like she is really giving this much effort. No wonder nothing is working for her. Let's tell her the truth. We are here to support, but also to make people look in the mirror and face themselves.