Too much sugar in fruits?

Options
I make a fruit shake for breakfast every morning to get my fruits in. My shake makes me go over my sugar allowance before I eat anything else. My weight loss has come to a stand still & I'm wondering if that could b why?

I use 1 banana, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, 1/4 cup fresh blueberries, and 1/2 cup milk. How can that b bad for you if you r supposed to eat fruits everyday??

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Personally if I am getting too much sugar from fruit I don't worry too much - you are also getting lots of vitamins and fiber and your body can process real sugar vs. added sugars much more efficiently.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    IF UR WORRIED STICK W/ LOW SUGAR FRIUTS....LIKE BERRY'S, CANTULOPE, AND PEARS
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I love bananas, but I don't eat them too much. They seem to pack on the weight.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you made your diary public , somebody might stop the problem..
  • LisaSaysHi
    LisaSaysHi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was shocked and horrified to realize how many calories I was consuming from foods that are really healthy, including fruit and skim milk. I've read that you should limit yourself to two servings per day of milk and dairy combined. Keep in mind that a serving of fruit is only half a cup, so you are actually getting a very high amount of calories in your fruit shake. It is true that we should be getting 5-9 servings daily of fruit and vegetables in order to get the right nutrients. However, if you are trying to lose weight you should consume more vegetables which are much lower in calories than fruit. Easier said than done, I know!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to worry about natural sugars. Your sugar allowance is supposed to be for refined or added sugars, not the ones that occur naturally in whole/natural/unprocessed foods.

I'm usually over my sugar allowance but only have around 5 grams of refined sugar from my bread and peanut butter. The sugar in my milk, fruits and vegetables is not something I worry about.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you made your diary public , somebody might stop the problem..

I don't make mine public bc I find that I am 110% truthful if it is just me and the people I am close with can read it.
  • MomOfThree123
    Options
    To get my fruits I can sugar free fruit cocktail. Since I dont like shakes and I cant drink milk. Plus it is only 80 calories for a cup!

If I do that am I still getting all my fruits?? =/ I'm new to this lol
  • kmahly
    kmahly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also, are you using raw fruit? If you are buying frozen fruit, sometimes they add sugar to those packages.

If it is raw fruit, I wouldn't worry too much. Fruit is good for and two or three servings of fruit a day is a good thing!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are natural sugars and OK. However, that's a lot of fruit in one meal! That's 4 servings of fruit (unless you are eating the tiny banana, a banana is 2 servings of fruit). Plus the sugars you are getting from the milk! I suggest cutting down to 2 servings of fruit in that shake!

EDIT TO ADD: I would suggest adding some protein to that shake too. Cut some fruit and add 1/2 or 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder. You need to eat protein with carbs.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I came into this forum to look for questions like this. So glad you asked because I get a little concerned when my sugars are really high. A pear has 16g of sugar in it and eating that alone almost puts me over my daily limit. I try to keep the processed sugars to a low amount per day though. Thanks for asking this question and for all the answers!!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Options
    Also, are you using raw fruit? If you are buying frozen fruit, sometimes they add sugar to those packages.

If it is raw fruit, I wouldn't worry too much. Fruit is good for and two or three servings of fruit a day is a good thing!

Those frozen strawberries actually have half the sugar of the blueberries and milk and a quarter of the sugar of the banana. I looked at that too bc I was wondering the same thing.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Options
    Yes, they are natural sugars and OK. However, that's a lot of fruit in one meal! That's 4 servings of fruit (unless you are eating the tiny banana, a banana is 2 servings of fruit). Plus the sugars you are getting from the milk! I suggest cutting down to 2 servings of fruit in that shake!

EDIT TO ADD: I would suggest adding some protein to that shake too. Cut some fruit and add 1/2 or 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder. You need to eat protein with carbs.

Thanks for the info on the banana! I didn't know I was eating two servings in my banana. I'll stick to half a banana.