Seriously considering at stopping the logging.

Options

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    So.....stop logging.

/end thread
  • bschneider5
    bschneider5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the first step to falling off the wagon. I'd keep logging.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I think of it like financial accountability. I constantly have to check my bank account. Record everything. Decide priorities. I have do it with money and I have to do it with food or I lose track. It's just a fact of life for me im fine with that. Its not traumatizing at all.

This times 1000. I treat my calories like I treat my money. Sometimes I splurge, but most of the time I like to get the best value for what I am " spending."
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    So.....stop logging.

/end thread

Lol I love you.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Ok then
  • Jacqueline12174
    Options
    Oh No!!! I DEFINITELY need the accountability, that discipline.....That way it's right there in my face. No self-delusions, no cutting those sneaky little corners, no excess "cheating," etc...I NEED STRUCTURE!!!

Good Luck to ya!
  • Jacqueline12174
    Options
    Sounds like the first step to falling off the wagon. I'd keep logging.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't log...haven't for over a year now save for a spot check here and there. IMO, logging is just a tool to help you live a more healthful life...if you've truly adopted that healthful lifestyle then logging really isn't necessary, at least not for maintaining weight. I've maintained quite easily for going on 14 months now without logging.

I think it's extremely valuable for losing weight and for making sure you have a reasonable surplus of calories if you're doing a bulk...but IMHO, one should be able to maintain just fine if they've truly adopted a healthful lifestyle.
  • Jacqueline12174
    Options
    Soo right...happened to me...Thought I had it all down packed, told myself I got "bored" lol:laugh:
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Lucky you. I've always eaten well, but I'm incapable of eyeballing it and guessing correctly, or keeping myself accountable.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I actually eat more when I log. I have a high TDEE (2500-2700) so I can easily fit whatever I like into my day. I take breaks from logging. Have had a recent re-start in my weight loss (just a few pounds) upon quitting counting several weeks ago. This was after a period of fat loss, no scale weight. (I don't really care if I lose weight because I have a healthy BF%.) I have been counting calories since grade school so there are no surprises for me. I use MFP mostly to track my macros when I do log. But like you said regarding calories, after several months of tracking my macros, I got a good feel for what a day should look like for me. I see calorie counting as a tool for people to evaluate where they are going off track and to educate themselves about food choices. I didn't get fat from not knowing about calories. Actually I got fat from years of calorie counting and then binging from overly restricting.

Give it a try without and if you gain, you can always start up again.

I should say that giving up calorie counting was an intervention I was directed to take as I began my recovery plan for BED. During this time, I read a really good book called Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole & Elyse Resch that really helped me. I have been in recovery successfully for a year after 30 years of calorie counting, binging, and purging. :drinker:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I think constant logging in the long-term just slows down your metabolism, keeps you feeling cold and miserable, and even unplanned weight loss.

How would logging your food slow down your metabolism??? Or lead to an unplanned weight loss??? Assuming, of course, that you're eating to an appropriate daily surplus of calories.

Still trying to figure out why sitting at the computer logging food "keeps you feeling cold and miserable".......Uh, it's warm and comfortable in here.............
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I think its great you can do this; also amazed at your ability to select foods which way the exact same every day, all the time. Best of luck OP, you have a great grocer providing you with nutritious fruits weighing the exact same each time.

I've never weighed a piece of fruit in my life and I've been very successful at losing weight.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've been logging my food since 2008. Yep, 6 years. I'm at the point where I don't really need to log all the time, but have also experienced how lack of attention contributes to losing control. On days that I don't pre-plan, I take pictures with my phone and go back at the end of the day and enter everything. Its awareness, its accountability. It keeps me accountable without tying me to a keyboard! I can at least go back and look at the pictures and do a mental tally of where I am during the course of the day.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Sometimes taking a break from the stress of logging and weighing yourself helps. I stopped logging for a a couple months. At first I lost weight after making healthy lifestyle choices. Then I plateaued. THEN I started eating bull****.

No one needs bull****. I started logging again.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think it differs for each person. I used to log EVERYTHING but now i've started with a new trainer who asks me to do a written diary i don't log on here as i forget or just cba. I still log my exercise but otherwise i've basically stopped now
  • shancheer24
    shancheer24 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging after 6 months of strict logging. Big mistake. While i thought i was making good choices and doing what i had been doing for the last 6 months, i clearly wasnt. I started getting relaxed about a snack here or extra french fries, ect. Since i wasnt logging, i couldnt see what extra calories were going in and ultimately led to a few pound weight gain. Granted, it wasnt a big gain ( maybe only 3-4 pounds) but it was enough of a wake up call for me to realize i needed to keep track if i wanted to stay where i am.

If you think you can do it without logging, by all means go for it. No harm in trying and if it works great, if not, MFP will still be here if you decide to start up.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This could work out well for you, but it might not. My advice is if you are going to stop, check your weight in a couple of weeks to see if you've been maintaining, and this way you can catch yourself early and get back in the habit if you go over.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Then stop.