Intermittent Fasting

Options

Replies

• amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing I learned doing IF is that I can now tell the difference between when I'm really HUNGRY and when I just want something because I can have it. I learned to control my hunger and that, to me, is huge.

I also have found that I enjoy training fasted. I lift heavy at 11am-noon and I don't eat my first meal until 2-4pm. I have read that training fasted encourages your body to use stored fats for energy rather than what you just put into your body (breakfast). I enjoy the concentration and focus I get from being fasted + some coffee.
  • marybeth9999
    marybeth9999 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Romyarts--sounds like you are off to a great start. A big plus of IF to me is learning that it's ok for my stomach to be empty. I know that may sound crazy....but I am so used to keeping it full all the time...I didn't know what normal hunger actually was...and it is a good feeling to be very hungry--then eat! To answer the exercise question....I am doing a 20 minute a day weight training DVD and love it. One day is upper body and the next is lower...very basic and is a dumbbell workout using 3 sets of weights....or pyramid system. Also doing a stationary recumbent bike...but not real regular with that. I figure as the weight comes off....the muscles are getting toned!!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Romyarts--sounds like you are off to a great start. A big plus of IF to me is learning that it's ok for my stomach to be empty. I know that may sound crazy....but I am so used to keeping it full all the time...I didn't know what normal hunger actually was...and it is a good feeling to be very hungry--then eat! To answer the exercise question....I am doing a 20 minute a day weight training DVD and love it. One day is upper body and the next is lower...very basic and is a dumbbell workout using 3 sets of weights....or pyramid system. Also doing a stationary recumbent bike...but not real regular with that. I figure as the weight comes off....the muscles are getting toned!!

It does not sound crazy AT ALL. I always ate just to eat .. and not because I was hungry. IF shows you what really being hungry and eating is like.

I will say I will probably not be doing IF during vacations. When I am on vacation, I am ON vacation. other than that I will be doing IF every day. Even the holidays. :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My window is noon to about 8. normal lunch huuuge dinner. works for me very well. I like going to bed feeling full.
  • tlmcint
    tlmcint Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've just started reading about this way of eating and most of what I"m reading also mentions heavy lifting. Is this intermittent fasting designed for lifters or can it work for the rest of us also?
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing I learned doing IF is that I can now tell the difference between when I'm really HUNGRY and when I just want something because I can have it.

I've only been doing IF for a week and I can already start to tell the difference.
  • HobbitSithLord
    HobbitSithLord Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think that if IF suits your natural eating habits you can have a ton of success with it. There's so many people just naturally AREN'T HUNGRY until later in the day. I'm one of them. When I started out, I was forcing myself to eat breakfast and sometimes having to choke lunch down. Then I'd hit dinner, my 'natural' big meal and I'd go over or close to it and I was always on edge about eating.

Now I do 5/2 but I also don't feel obligated to follow the eating schedule you think you have to (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) you think you have to for losing weight because I've seen a lot of people lose plenty on the daily IF (sorry, bad with official terminology). I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but I stopped tracking calories, started just being aware of what I was eating, taking in more water and eating proper portions . . . and from the plateau I'd been stuck at for 4 weeks I started losing again.

I think anyone who is by nature not hungry in the early part of the day might want to consider IF.
  • Apazman
    Options
    I think that if IF suits your natural eating habits you can have a ton of success with it. There's so many people just naturally AREN'T HUNGRY until later in the day. I'm one of them. When I started out, I was forcing myself to eat breakfast and sometimes having to choke lunch down. Then I'd hit dinner, my 'natural' big meal and I'd go over or close to it and I was always on edge about eating.

Now I do 5/2 but I also don't feel obligated to follow the eating schedule you think you have to (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) you think you have to for losing weight because I've seen a lot of people lose plenty on the daily IF (sorry, bad with official terminology). I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but I stopped tracking calories, started just being aware of what I was eating, taking in more water and eating proper portions . . . and from the plateau I'd been stuck at for 4 weeks I started losing again.

I think anyone who is by nature not hungry in the early part of the day might want to consider IF.

THIS! - "I think anyone who is by nature not hungry in the early part of the day might want to consider IF."
  • makingmylifebetter
    makingmylifebetter Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting your experiences-- very helpful.
  • HLindsayA
    HLindsayA Posts: 46
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So, as someone earlier mentioned, for those of us that are typically not hungry until later in the day, this way of eating normally works for me. The caveat to that being, I MUST have my coffee in the morning, and I absolutely can not drink it black. Does anyone have this issue?

Thanks!
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about doing this, but then i realised i am a hungry monter in the mornings, i can easily go without food during rest of the day, except for dinner.

Is there also a fasting way that allows you to eat breakfast and dinner only? Ofcourse i can do it, but not sure if there is a fasting term for it.

Right now i am doing IIFYM, doing a fasting i am pretty sure i won't hit my macro's. Ofcourse i will then need to lower my calorie intake for the day first by i think another 600-800 (cause this is what i eat for lunch and snacks during the day)

I also am afraid i might faint during my workouts in my lunchbreaks. So need to change my workouts to evenings, after dinner then.
    And does fasting allows you to drink coffee and water all day, or is that also only when you are supposed to eat?

This story kinda got my attention now, and wanna learn a bit more first about it before trying it out 3-4 weeks

You could do 5:2 fast diet. There's a support group on here with a lot of helpful people on it.
  • bkk40in2011
    Options
    I started on Monday with a fasting day and love this. I felt good and my blood sugar remained stable. (I test it just because I am a science geek and love knowing my body's numbers.) I have done 2 fast days and have decided to do 3 a week - using the 500 - 700 calorie on fast days. I do 1900 on normal days lightly active days and track everything. My averages are 1400 which I could never consistently keep before. On fast days I have done a snack (apple with a TBS of pb for a snack at 2pm then a dinner with family of a salad and fish at 6pm. I have lost 2 lbs this week from my highest weight on Sunday so I consider that a success. I have real problems with eating sweets so to not be craving is incredible. I also noticed this week my blood pressure has dropped to normal levels which is unbelievable to me. Love love love this WOE and WOL!
  • mtoasty79
    mtoasty79 Posts: 18
    Options
    How do you combat headaches on that type of eating schedule? I know if I wait too long I get a headache.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    so no banana splits?.... No...really....thanks for that reminder. Those high calorie foods can add up fast. How much are people losing per week doing it? I haven't heard any concrete numbers for weight loss?

Well that's the thing with IF, there's not going to be a set x amount per week you'll lose. It's just another way of creating a calorie deficit. In the end it still comes down to calories in calories out. For some people IF will work, and what I mean by that is that it will be a sustainable way of eating that fits their lifestyle and requirements. Others will hate it. It all comes down to personal choice (you are your own experiment n=1).

For me, I've been maintaining on IF for well over a year. I do 16:8 eating between 1pm and 9pm (most days except when I have a specific sporting need to eat early). I usually do a big lunch at 1pm, a big dinner at 8-9pm and a pre-workout snack at around 4pm.
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info and comments. I'm just starting IF on a trial basis, trying to find out what eating window works best for me and if this way of eating will help me start losing weight again. This thread has been very encouraging!
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I eat between 2 and 9, and it's been doing wonders for me. I too sometimes end up with a coffee with milk and sweetener before that window, however.

The only day I eat outside that window is Sunday, I end up with breakfast at noon because I head to the gym/am then out of the house til I get home from work at 11PM, when I eat my dinner.
  • missrenahope
    missrenahope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    During my last month or so of school I tried out IF with an 8 hour window. I lost five pounds in a month doing that, mainly because I taught myself to avoid unnecessary snacking and I learned how it felt to really be hungry. Since I was limited in time, I also naturally made healthier, worthwhile choices. I unfortunately had to stop it once I came home for summer because of having to eat with my family's schedule, but I do plan to get back to it in a month when I go back.
    Eating from either 11 to 7 or 12 to 8 worked for me. I would have a small lunch, snacks (bananas, yogurt), and whatever I wanted for dinner. I remember one day one of my clubs had free pizza and I binged on four pieces and ate lightly for the rest of my eating window and surprise surprise... no weight gain. It's a great way to manage calories.
    You have to be careful not to get too extreme, though. At times I took the "I'm really not that hungry" a little too harshly and would end up not eating nearly enough for the day. I know that messed up my metabolism short-term. It definitely takes some experimenting, but it is a nice asset to weightloss. I will probably do it M-F and take Saturday and Sunday off.
  • Apazman
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So, as someone earlier mentioned, for those of us that are typically not hungry until later in the day, this way of eating normally works for me. The caveat to that being, I MUST have my coffee in the morning, and I absolutely can not drink it black. Does anyone have this issue?

Thanks!

Here is the problem, one of the ways that IF works well is that your blood sugar is lower for longer. If you spike it in the morning with creamers/milk/whatever sugar, its stops the fat burning process and your fat oxidation levels drop significantly. Can you try a caffeine supplement in the morning instead?
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about doing this, but then i realised i am a hungry monter in the mornings, i can easily go without food during rest of the day, except for dinner.

Is there also a fasting way that allows you to eat breakfast and dinner only? Ofcourse i can do it, but not sure if there is a fasting term for it.

Right now i am doing IIFYM, doing a fasting i am pretty sure i won't hit my macro's. Ofcourse i will then need to lower my calorie intake for the day first by i think another 600-800 (cause this is what i eat for lunch and snacks during the day)

I also am afraid i might faint during my workouts in my lunchbreaks. So need to change my workouts to evenings, after dinner then.
    And does fasting allows you to drink coffee and water all day, or is that also only when you are supposed to eat?

This story kinda got my attention now, and wanna learn a bit more first about it before trying it out 3-4 weeks

The 5:2 diet allows you to eat as you would normally for 5 days of the week. On 2 days a week (which days are up to you, together, space, doesn't matter) you eat a total of 500 calories for women and 600 for men. You can split those calories in half and have 2 meals or have it all in 1 meal. Only water, coffee or tea with no sweeteners or dairy.
  • huge2fan2
    huge2fan2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My husband presented the IF idea to me in July 2012 and I initially thought he was crazy. I was brainwashed to believe that my metabolism would suffer; I would die of starvation; and I would suffer "hunger headaches" as well as hypoglycemia... Here we are almost 2 years later and I still love IF! The beauty is that your eating window can be tailored to your lifestyle (my window is usually between 1 PM & 9 PM). The key is to ensure that you don't overdo it with the calories during your eating window. I did log my foods when I was trying to lose, but now that I am in maintenance I still IF but don't currently log (I am very mindful of what I eat though). I recommend IF because I've been very successful so far with it (over 80 lbs lost & maintained) and gaining lean muscle mass while losing fat.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!