Healthy snacks besides fruits/veggies that keep well?

Options
I'm looking for some healthy snacks that I can bring to work that will keep well over the day that aren't fruits and veggies.
I feel like I'm mostly just eating fruits and veggies and I'd just like to throw some other foods in my lunch that are a little different. Or maybe some ideas of things that I could eat along with the fruits/veggies?

My food for work is normally composed of the following: (lunch and some snacks)
sandwich or wrap of some sort
lite yogurt
granola/protein bar or whatever they're called
fruit/veggies (combinations of oranges, apples with almond butter, grapes, celery, cherry tomatoes, apricots, strawberries, blueberries, peaches,broccoli,etc..whatever happens to be in season really)
lots of water

I don't plan to stop bringing the fruits/veggies. I'd just like some other stuff I could bring to maybe make my lunch a little more interesting.
Ideas?

Replies

• veganbobatea
    Options
    maybe you could bring some almonds or a flavorful dip or salsa for your veggies so they don't get boring. If you can find them at your supermarket, dried seaweed (sounds gross but isnt) in flavors like wasabi and teriyaki is really tasty, as well as dried edamame (the brand seapoint farms is good)
  • d0v3r13
    d0v3r13 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    beef jerky, popcorn (nearly naked popcorn from costco is the best, bring floss), granola bar, string cheese/babybel cheese, nuts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion would be to broaden your horizons in RE to your perception of "healthy"...fruits and veggies are important to overall nutrition, but they are only one component...you need way more than just fruits and veggies for proper nutrition and a balanced diet.

Dietary fat is a highly essential macro-nutrient..as is protein..you aren't going to find either of these things in any substantial quantity eating nothing but fruit and veg all the time.

- Beef Jerky
    - cheese
    - Yogurt (greek or otherwise)
    - Almonds (or other nuts)
    - Trail mix
    - some kind of dip to make your veggies less boring
    - peanut butter and apples is awesome
    - popcorn (I like popping my own with coconut oil)
    - cottage cheese
    - avocado

The list goes on and on. When you start to broaden your horizons a bit and really start learning about proper nutrition, you'll find that you can eat a lot of things...in fact, you can eat most things as a part of a well balanced and nutritious diet. I say this as someone who takes in roughly a pound of veggies per day and a few servings of fruit...plenty of lean protein and healthy fat...and gummy bears for desert almost nightly.
  • BabyDucklingLove
    BabyDucklingLove Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion would be to broaden your horizons in RE to your perception of "healthy"...fruits and veggies are important to overall nutrition, but they are only one component...you need way more than just fruits and veggies for proper nutrition and a balanced diet.

Dietary fat is a highly essential macro-nutrient..as is protein..you aren't going to find either of these things in any substantial quantity eating nothing but fruit and veg all the time.

- Beef Jerky
    - cheese
    - Yogurt (greek or otherwise)
    - Almonds (or other nuts)
    - Trail mix
    - some kind of dip to make your veggies less boring
    - peanut butter and apples is awesome
    - popcorn (I like popping my own with coconut oil)
    - cottage cheese
    - avocado

The list goes on and on. When you start to broaden your horizons a bit and really start learning about proper nutrition, you'll find that you can eat a lot of things...in fact, you can eat most things as a part of a well balanced and nutritious diet. I say this as someone who takes in roughly a pound of veggies per day and a few servings of fruit...plenty of lean protein and healthy fat...and gummy bears for desert almost nightly.
    As I said in my original post, I eat other things with my lunches (and in my breakfast/dinners to make up what I don't get for lunch) to so I understand balance. I don't only eat fruits and veggies by any means.
    For lunch, I normally take a yogurt, a granola bar and then some sort of wrap/sandwich and then a lot of fruits/veggies. They're always around/convenient and keep fairly well over the day. Not that I think they're the only healthy thing to eat or anything. I just have found them easy to take but I want to change things up.
    (My breakfasts and dinners tend to be a lot more varied since I can cook and not have to have it sit around all day and get soggy or gross)

Thanks for the suggestions on the snacks~
  • BabyDucklingLove
    Options
    beef jerky, popcorn (nearly naked popcorn from costco is the best, bring floss), granola bar, string cheese/babybel cheese, nuts.
    Thank you for the suggestions!
  • BabyDucklingLove
    Options
    maybe you could bring some almonds or a flavorful dip or salsa for your veggies so they don't get boring. If you can find them at your supermarket, dried seaweed (sounds gross but isnt) in flavors like wasabi and teriyaki is really tasty, as well as dried edamame (the brand seapoint farms is good)
    Thank you for the suggestions

I think I will try salsa and maybe bringing some nuts.
    I know my boyfriend's mom knows of a farmer's market somewhere near by that sells a lot of different types of nuts way cheaper than the store but I had forgotten.
    I've tried dried seaweed and it's pretty good (at least the flavor I had) so I might have to get some of that
  • _Naeja_
    _Naeja_ Posts: 7
    Options
    I like Wholly Guacamole with my veggies. It has to be refrigerated, so I'm not sure if that's something you're looking for. You can buy them in 4 packs with each serving being 100 calories.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My work snacks are usually fiber bar, almond, string cheese or Colby jack cheese stick
  • zestyzesty
    zestyzesty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's always a task trying to think of ways to liven up work lunches. Maybe you could try:

- wasabi peas
    - almonds, cashews, peanuts, brazil nuts
    - seeds- e.g. pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
    - ryvitas (dry rye snack, either plain or versions with seeds on top)
    - rice cakes/snack a jacks
    - oatcakes
    - different kinds of crisps/chips- e.g. vegetable ones, wholegrain ones, corn/rice crackers.

Hope you find something nice to eat!
  • AssassinElektra
    AssassinElektra Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Almond butter and rice cakes. Nom Nom
    Pumpkin seeds
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky. Quest bars. Nuts in moderation.

Also consider switching to Greek yogurt, it has more protein to help keep you full.
  • BabyDucklingLove
    Options
    Beef jerky. Quest bars. Nuts in moderation.

Also consider switching to Greek yogurt, it has more protein to help keep you full.
    Actually the yogurt I bring is greek yogurt c:
    I actually like the flavor more than regular yogurt too.
  • BabyDucklingLove
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions everyone~
  • Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options

I love dried seaweed but didn't know it came in flavours. I need to look for this, yum. Now you have also made me want wasabi peas! ????????
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I usually portion out almonds; hard boiled egg; pickles; yogurt, granola bar
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I keep Trader Joe's individual servings of trail mix in my desk as well as their turkey jerky for snacks.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, eating 1/2 of a 100cal English muffin (I like the Thomas brand) with 1/2 of a sliced up smallish avocado is not only filling and satisfying, but comes in at ~100cals.

Others things like sugar free jello packs or pudding packs (even the non-sugar free ones) are nice treats after lunch or a snack for small cals. I had a SF chocolate pudding pack that tasted really good for only 70cals.

I do like pickles and cheese or rolled lunch meat together, veggie straws are tasty (mmm ranch haha) and give me that crunchy chippy fix.

I eat a lot of the other things too that ppl mentioned.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, almonds, beef jerky, string cheese, fiber one or protein bars are my main non-veggie/fruit snacks
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Buy bulk nuts and mix them yourself ( you control the salt content and weed out the bad things like m&ms and peanuts) keep small individually packaged pieces of super dark chocolate with you too. Water should be your first snack too.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I see 1200 calories a day for you.

If you substitute fruits and vegetables at work with things like peanut butter, granola bars, nuts, and trail mix, you're will inevitably have to substitute other calorie-rich foods during meals with more fruits and vegetables.

So you'll still have to eat just as many fruits and vegetables.