46 year wants to loose 135 lbs in need of much support

Options
Hello. I've been on a 42 day streak and Iv'e lost 11 lb. However whe I see that I have 135lbs to go a little discouragement stes in

Replies

• PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Think in terms of "One Day At A Time". You can do 1 Day, and another, and another.......and another.........
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Maybe try setting mini goals to help you get through to the final goal. You can always change your MFP goal weight and I personally have always found it motivating to celebrate those little milestones.
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Think of this as a journey, not a destination. Take it small goals at a time. I started 285 and then on MFP at 241. Remember that your health is very important. If you need any help, do not hesitate to msg me.
  • savelando
    savelando Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    nothing worthwhile is easy. bound to be slip ups and setbacks, but if you just stick with it, you'll be there before you even realize.
  • THICKandFIT
    THICKandFIT Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I finally stepped on the scale and saw that I needed to lose about 120lbs, I was shocked and scared and in despair. I decided that 120 was just TOO big of a number to deal with so I cut my goal into thirds. I could lose 40 lbs X 3. I set my ticker to lose 40 pounds and it was much easier to deal with mentally/emotionally. So far, I've lost my first 40 and am moving on to my second. What I have learned is that weight loss is mostly a mental game. You have to tell your brain you can do it! There will be some rough days but I think it really helps to have friends on MFP so you can see and enjoy all of their successes as well. Feel free to add me, it is a long journey but I'm positive that you can do it!
  • joshbond85
    joshbond85 Posts: 28
    Options
    1. Take a mirror selfie.
    2. Post that picture on your mirror.
    3. Look at yourself every day in the mirror and then look at the picture.
    4. Update that picture every 20% of progress toward your total goal and keep them all.

It's not about some number on the scale, but how you see and feel about yourself. Remind yourself every day that you can do this and don't concern yourself with with the day to day. It takes a forever lifestyle change to have an impact and this isn't something where you can just jump on and off at will.
  • dianastepheny
    dianastepheny Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    When I think of how long my journey is ( need to lose 100 pounds total), it can be aggravating. I feel like it is going to take "forever". Then, I remind myself that " forever" (be it a year or two or more) is still going to go by whether I try to lose weight or not. What shape do I want to be in when that time inevitably goes by ( cause it will, no matter what I do). I just imagine how aggravated I will be after the time passes and I'm just as fat because I didn't have the patience to wait. Honestly, that is the easiest way for me to stay focused. I have always wanted to lose weight to look better, feel better, play with my kids, etc. , but time passing is the reality that keeps me grounded.
  • Veggie_mama
    Veggie_mama Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You can do this. You've come to the right place for support and love. *hugs* We've got you on this!
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't get discouraged, you have a long and hard journey ahead of you but NOT an impossible one. You absolutely CAN do this, others have so why not you.Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I'm here everyday and will be for quite some time !! Have faith in yourself and have the courage to see your journey through, you'll do just fine.
    H
    x
    :flowerforyou:
  • LongWayToGO75
    Options
    Hi... I'm a 54 year old that needs to lose the same. We can encourage each other! One step at a time! You can do it!:smile:
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey, girl. I started with just over 100 pounds to lose. I have dropped 32 pounds in just 59 days. So, I am one third of the way and it has been only two months. I know I won't be able to keep that pace up, but it was a great start. I am going from almost 279 pounds to 165 pounds. I work out hard. This past weekend I rode my bike almost 89 miles over three days. I want this weight off and want it off NOW!!.

While I know that everyone is not going to be as aggressive, it can be done. Try looking at it this way....".I have 100 pounds to lose, so I have a big task ahead that I need to take seriously". How do you go about tackling a big job at work? Do you dive in and get it done? Do you work on it slow until you are finished? This is no different than a job that needs to be done. You need the right tools and the mind set that you have to get the job done.

You have us, and MFP...so you got the right tools. Now, how are you going to tackle the job? Don't look at it as a daunting impossibility. It is just a task, go at it one step at a time, but stick with it until it is done. Look at all the success stories here on MFP. People who have lost 100, 200+ pounds.

Remember, food is not the only key.....MOVING....is the most important thing. Set an exercise routine and stick with it. Don't think of the 135 pounds, just think of getting the exercise in every day.....the pounds will take care of themselves. Good Luck and we are praying for you. :flowerforyou:
  • craftergin
    craftergin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think of this as a lifestyle change, not just losing weight. I'm 58 and have lost significant weight 3 times in my life by "dieting".

This time, I've wised-up and I'm focusing on my nutrition and exercise, not just the scale. I'm doing this slowly and deliberately. It can be frustrating at times, like plateaus, but I realize that my body is adjusting to my new way of life. Don't let it freak you out!

It's been a year and a half for me. I've lost about 40 pound so far (some before I joined myfitnesspal). I've gone down 2 sizes in tops and 3 sizes in pants. I feel fantastic and I haven't had my gout flare up in a year and a half!

I eat what I want in moderation. I log EVERYTHING I put in my mouth, even if I go over the allotted calories. Most of the time I eat only REAL food. But I don't freak out or feel bad or punish myself if I have a treat. I just log it in. I usually plan my treats so they will fit into the allotment of calories for that day.

I exercise about 80 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I'm lucky because I live close enough to walk to work. I do a 30-40 minute workout at home in the morning, then walk a mile to work. Finding an exercise that you enjoy doing and that you WILL do is super important. I have DVD's at home that I use. If it's not too hot out, I walk at work on my breaks, just to cram in a bit more. Every calorie counts!

I also found that getting myself a new pair of fitness shoes or workout clothes is a HUGE boost. It's a great feeling to buy clothes outside the PLUS department!

Good luck and as Bri_Becq said, it's a journey. Enjoy it and be proud of every accomplishment!
  • takydawa
    takydawa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • wildskies
    wildskies Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I try to ignore what I have left to lose. Seeing that big number just gets discouraging. I think of what I've lost so far and break it down into percents. I tell myself "I've already lost x% of my goal, that's great and I can do this!". You've already lost 9% of your goal, that's a huge step so keep going! Don't let the numbers mess with your mind.
  • madhound
    madhound Posts: 14
    Options
    never look into the future always think about your progress not what you need to get to.
  • 0mega60
    0mega60 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hi MFP friend...I am starting over again...after a year...been using site for 7 years and love it....hope to connect,
    have a great holiday. here is a quote below I would like to share.

You want me to do something... tell me I can't do it.
    -Maya Angelou
  • bestlife42
    bestlife42 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been taking things one day at a time. I realize that I need to approach this weight loss journey different this time if I want it to last. It does seem overwhelming at times especially when the scale does not reflect the efforts. You can do this! I have tried to also focus on how I feel and the inches lost in addition to the pounds. It's making a lifestyle change and embracing the bumps in the road while heading for the goal. No more regrets! Feel free to add me
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    **** most of this. It's a choice. Every. Damned. Day. You choose to or you choose not to. Where you are a year from now is nothing.. NOTHING... more than the sum total of those choices. There's no trick. Every day there are 1 million perfectly valid reasons to keep working for it. Every day there are 1 million perfectly valid reasons to do something else instead. It all comes down to which side of the ledger you choose from. So what's it gonna be today?
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    1lb at at time, and you will have down times! Support here, if you'd like! Good luck!
  • takydawa
    takydawa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you