I want to give up

Replies

• darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Then give up. You can wallow in self pity, make excuses, whatever other BS people want to do.. or....

You can fix the problem and make your life better.

ETA: Research and ask questions, crying/complaining doesn't elicit the most helpful advice from people.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Think about it this way: Soda is cancer. Trans fats found in chips and fast food are cancer. Artificial dyes screw up the way your brain works, making several signals miss their mark. Your depression is partly due to your life's stresses, and partly due to your diet. You need to find healthy ways to deal with your life's stresses, like running or riding a bicycle instead of eating fried chicken. It's not about who's fat or who's hot, it's about who's eating cancer and who's preparing to live long enough to support their children and grandchildren.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Don't give up, take your time.

It probably took you years to put the weight on, so don't feel discouraged if it takes some time to take it off.

I've been working for 3 years to lose barely 30lb. Is it occasionally discouraging? You bet! But going slow has allowed me to not feel too guilty over holidays and special occasions. It allowed me to take weeks off of exercise to deal with life issues when they arise. And you know what? The moderate diet and exercise that slow weight loss has required will be sustainable for life, even after I've achieved my goals. That 30lb isn't coming back ever again. I've learned a lot about my body in 3 years.

So have your soda today. Savor your occasional fried chicken meal. Life without treats can get bland, indeed! It's all about moderation. Slow down and appreciate small goals and tiny successes. If you have to take a step back for every two steps forward, don't fret! You're not "spiraling out of control". You're doing the cha-cha.
  • it can be tough. get back on the horse. you are worth it! she is right, don't deprive yourself. you don't need to do this perfectly. think of this as a way to lose weight, get to your goal weight and then maintain. doing a little more exercise changes everything. yoga is amazing.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Think about it this way: Soda is cancer. Trans fats found in chips and fast food are cancer. Artificial dyes screw up the way your brain works, making several signals miss their mark. Your depression is partly due to your life's stresses, and partly due to your diet. You need to find healthy ways to deal with your life's stresses, like running or riding a bicycle instead of eating fried chicken. It's not about who's fat or who's hot, it's about who's eating cancer and who's preparing to live long enough to support their children and grandchildren.

What company do you buy your tinfoil from? I have some money I'd like to invest...
  • KMStaven
    KMStaven Posts: 2
    Tell yourself you're worth it. You are so worth it. Talk to yourself like you would your best friend. Be honest and firm, but not mean.

You don't want to give up, but you don't really believe you can do it. Everything seems to be against you, so be your own ally. Always have your water and a healthy snack close by to help you make a better choice.

Realize that Popeye's will always be here - and you will eat it again. So what? Were you really planning to give that up forever? If you have that for lunch, have a light dinner.

Love yourself, even if the people around you are buttheads and don't support you. Don't give up on you.

I hope you can pick up and keep going. Sorry if I sound preachy. I need to remember all these things myself. Your post encouraged me too. It's hard. I've been this way my whole life, and I'm so stubborn. Change is very difficult for me. I'm great at making excuses, and when I mess up I feel like it's Armageddon. That doesn't help at all!
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
    I'll tell you a story.

I had Popeye's for the first time, then left the country for a year. One of the things I was most looking forward to is trying that amazing chicken again. KFC grossed me out and Popeye's was REALLY good.

When I came back, I went to Popeye's. It was DISGUSTING. I couldn't even finish it. I hadn't lost any weight or tried anything weird. I simply realized that Popeye's is really good until you give it up for a long time and then try it again. You can wean yourself off it by abstaining. I promise, it won't taste as good as you expect.

I know I didn't have a bad batch either, because I did the same thing with chocolate which is the reason I am overweight. I actually stopped craving chocolate but I had to go through the pain of not having it for a few months. Now I can have it once a month and feel fine. Cravings subside.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Then give up it is much easier then continuing.
  • 1sgs
    1sgs Posts: 45 Member
    Here is a great website that offers a "plan" to eventually get to where you want to be in (your nutrition) life.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/better-choices-diet

I see a post that says "just give up". That statement, I hope, was just said in irony (or poor taste in jokes). In somewhat support of such a ridiculous statement, I would say, "You have to want it pretty bad, because it won't be easy in the beginning." If you stay with the program because you WANT to succeed, you will have the support of others here i'm sure. From where I stand, it would seem (from my OWN life experiences), one of the necessities of making life changes is educating one's self on the subject matter involved. In this case it is food. Take an interest in what you are putting into your body. Make small changes (look at the link above). Move in the right direction slowly and deliberately. You will see the changes start to happen. Set small goals. Tell your friends and family that you are making some different choices in your diet. This will build in accountability. In a best case scenereo get your mate to support you and maybe join you on your journey back to good health. Love yourself. If you don't love yourself, we will love you until you can. :) Cheers!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    You can't keep going off of your plan every time life gets a little difficult or full of drama. Find another way to deal with it. Go for a walk, pick up a new hobby, find new friends, figure out how to get rid of the drama if you can. You can't change everything that goes on in your life but you can change how you react to it. Having a defeatist attitude is what is holding you back from reaching your weight loss goal, not the Popeyes.
  • madhound
    madhound Posts: 14
    this. quit and fail if you like its not down to us, your either doing something wrong or just looking for excuses
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Work on your mindset - your inner self will affect your journey - believe me. I've been there and until my mindset changed, I struggled. You CAN do this.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    OP I drink pop, eat junk food, chocolate pretty much every day. And yet I've still lost weight? Omg! Its a miracle?!!!

Calories in vs calories out = weight loss
  • joshbond85
    joshbond85 Posts: 28
    Think about why you went to Popeye's. Were you actually hungry? Or did you just let your brain and taste buds take charge?
  • astylla
    astylla Posts: 118 Member
    The harsh reality is that no one can do this or want this for you. I've started and given up on myself even as soon as last year losing 17 lbs and things got tough and I gave it all up. I thought I was ready but I wasn't. I had to figure out how to control my emotions over my food and I still have days where I struggle and will for my lifetime. The difference for me though is this is a change not only with food but my entire life including mentally and emotionally. The weight alone won't fix the other issues I have battled with myself. I do think it's worth the struggle and sometimes starting slower can be more beneficial.
  • jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    You have taken a great first step. You are reaching out to people on here who know exactly how you feel. We have all felt that way at some point. It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life. You need to make yourself a priority and take care of yourself first. I know it sounds cliche, but really take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. And if you slip and mess up, know that it's ok and just begin again with the next meal or snack choice. None of us is perfect and will make mistakes. That's when you lean on your MFP friends to lift you back up. You can do this, and I call tell you want to do this. It helps me to plan the entire next day's meal plan, snacks included, the night before. That way there is no thinking about what to eat when I'm hungry. That's when I can do a lot of damage. Just start with small steps. Try to cut back on bad habits like sodas, candy, chips, etc. Don't completely eliminate them or it will make you crave it more. Try to find better alternatives like flavored water, sugar free candy, baked chips-that sort of thing. I know it's frustrating just hang in there. I know you can do it!! Friend request sent!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Think about it this way: Soda is cancer. Trans fats found in chips and fast food are cancer. Artificial dyes screw up the way your brain works, making several signals miss their mark.
    Oh dear you're hilarious.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    So you tried all that and failed..... why not try eating everything you love and weighing it religiously and logging it and putting all your stats in MFP and doing what it asks add water and see where youre going wrong and learn from it and work out how to get a balance that will life long make you healthy and feel great and look better feel free to add me
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member

Say wahh?:huh: