Calories OK, Protein Off?

Options
Hi All!

I am new here and I am trying to figure out my food options. My main issue is the protein. I am totally okay with the calories and fat, however no matter what I do I can't seem to not go over the proteins!

Am I just supposed to keep an eye on the calories or do I need to stay on track with everything else as well?

Thank you for any answers!

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I treat MFP's goals for protein as a bare minimum. I started with just looking at keeping calories under but I found with lifting and running, making sure I got enough protein and fat really helped me with recovery.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting get yourself a good whey protein powder. When I'm under or know I'm going to be I incorporate a few in throughout the day and lots are pretty low in cals and carbs so it doesn't throw your other numbers off.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Here are the steps. (not in order)

1. FIll out your profile.
    2. Ad a picture.
    3. Buy a food scale & measuring cups, spoons.
    4. Open your diary if you want dietary help.
    5. Weigh and log everything that you put in your mouth.
    6. Ad friends and see what they eat.

This will get you started, hope it helps.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, no reason not to go over the protein. The protein is about making sure that you have enough, not a maximum. I changed my protein to 30% since I think I should be aiming for a higher level (at least 100 g), but even now don't mind when I go over. Basically the carbs-protein-fat breakdown is to try to encourage you to have a balanced diet, not numbers that matter to weight loss much or which you really need to worry about unless it's something you've chosen to focus on. My experience is that when I make sure my protein is up and aim for a number around my fat macro (30%) and keep my carbs to roughly 40% or less unless it's a big workout day, I feel more satisfied, but I don't worry if I don't hit my macros (or thereabouts) every day. It's something that matters more if you are trying to build muscle seriously or doing a body recomp, not so much losing weight (and even then you'd want the protein higher, not lower).
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Oh, I think I misread too. I thought they were under on protein.
  • mac4153
    mac4153 Posts: 2
    Options
    I take Isolate Whey Protien. Which I have read about and is supposed to be the best. But other protein drinks will work I just prefer this one. Good luck We are here to help get you on your way.. :-)
  • sugarshane1
    sugarshane1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nope, not weight lifting, just looking to lose weight. I am on track with the calories but I keep going over the protein. So you are all saying that is okay?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nope, not weight lifting, just looking to lose weight. I am on track with the calories but I keep going over the protein. So you are all saying that is okay?
    MFP has a relatively low protein "goal". Don't sweat it if you go over it.

If you have other questions about how it all works this thread is a great place to start:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

don't over complicate things, just eat less, move more. cheers!
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Use this calculator to figure your protein out first.
    http://www.webefit.com/Calculators/Calc_protein.html

Then set your macros based on meeting protein.

Too much protein is bad for you. However, the RDA on food labels is kind of a joke. I was over 200 pounds working out an hour a day. My personal trainer was measuring my body fat percentage weekly. One week he said, "You've lost lean tissue. How much protein are you eating?" I was proud to say, "100% of my RDA - 50 grams per day."

The RDA is based on a healthy person half my size not "working out" or "dieting". I had to up my protein to 150 grams. Now I mostly just walk instead of "working out" so my protein needs aren't as high.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Yes, perfectly okay. You could eat WAY more protein than the guidelines given by MFP and have it be no problem. That you are tending to go high on protein is actually probably something that will make this easier for you, IME.
  • parkparksarah
    Options
    Glad your choosing this site for life changing
  • sugarshane1
    sugarshane1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much!

If I may be bold enough to ask another beginner question... Am I correct in saying that the amount of sugar allowed makes it tough to have fruit while using this calculator? Does anyone have any other suggestions for low sugar snacks? I thought I could get by with 2 fruit a day but that doesn't work here.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much!

If I may be bold enough to ask another beginner question... Am I correct in saying that the amount of sugar allowed makes it tough to have fruit while using this calculator? Does anyone have any other suggestions for low sugar snacks? I thought I could get by with 2 fruit a day but that doesn't work here.
    Yeah, most folks ignore that. I personally don't...but I do mentally track what comes from added sugars and try to limit those. I just find it easier to make the rest of it work out if I don't have a lot of added sugars. But I don't fret the naturally occurring sugar in fruits and dairy and what not.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much!

I subtract the fiber count from the sugar count. If it is still over after doing that I try to cut back on the sugar or up the fiber.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I watched my sugars for a while to make sure none was coming from surprising places and to see how high it was. None was and it didn't seem high, so I decided to ignore it. If mine was going over but it really was mostly from fruit I'd similarly not worry about it. If you are prediabetic or some such it would matter, but otherwise I don't think it does. Eating lots of added sugar as a percentage of my diet wouldn't be satiating to me, I imagine, but I'm never sure how that could even be a surprise to people.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much!

Unless you have a medical issue don't worry about it. I changed mine to track fiber instead of sugar. Much more useful.