Need more protein

Options
ebkins7
ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
Help! I need to get more protein in. I'm working out really hard and want that protein to help build that nice lean muscle!

I try to have a protein with every meal but I'm still missing. We live on a single income so expensive powders are not really an option for replacement.

Here's what my diet typically looks like on a given day

breakfast: egg whites and slice of 12 grain toast
Snack: yogurt and friuit
Lunch: salad with chicken or fish and beans
snack: almonds or a fruit or granola
dinner: chicken or fish with veggies (sometimes lean red meat)

Any suggestions would be helpful

Replies

• shannonstarr
    shannonstarr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Double up on your chicken servings....lots of protein with not many calories..
    Pure Protein Bars are awesome and not that expensive...
    Cottage Cheese is low in calories and high in protein...
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    switch to plain greek yougrut. One serving has bout 29 grams of protein.
  • TabbyJustice
    TabbyJustice Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My friend just turned me on to a yogurt called Chobani. So far I've found it in almost all grocery stores I've been to. 14g protein in a serving and it's average a dollar in price. Also try adding maybe a cheese stick to your snacks in the day for extra protein and calcium. :)
  • Nichelle27
    Nichelle27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lentils are an excellent source. If you like beans, they carry plenty of protein.
  • Thorneapple
    Options
    Try aiming for the foods with more bang for your buck, protein wise. Here is a link that shows the nutritional contenet of some high protein foods.

http://commonsensehealth.com/Diet-and-Nutrition/List_of_High_Protein_Foods.shtml
  • sd59940
    sd59940 Posts: 27
    Options
    I love lean turkey patties grilled or fried. Fry them using PAM’s Olive oil spray it contains zero everything…
    http://www.pam4you.com/pages/products/oliveoil/index.jsp

I chop tomatos, onion, bell pepper and cilantro; Spice it with garlic, pepper and light salt. I grill 10 of these bad boys every weekend and freeze for the week, about 18-24 grams each patty depending on how big you make them.

More protein sources: Tuna, Greek Yogurt (gross but I eat it), cottage cheese, I read something on lean pork check it out. I’m on a budget too and these are some inexpensive meals.. Hope it helps and good luck!
  • ebkins7
    Options
    switch to plain greek yougrut. One serving has bout 29 grams of protein.

Wow! That's a lot! Gonna have to try it!
  • ebkins7
    Options
    Thanks guys! Those are all great suggestions! Gonna try a few of them and see where I get!
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    Lentils are an AWESOME source of protein and not to mention very cheap! The local store here carries them for $0.40 cents a pound!
  • mhmoorehead
    Options
    I am a weight loss surgery patient. Our diets are primarily protein with good fats and carbs mixed in. Your intake looks good but here is the formula for calculating how much protein you specifically need.

Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    Example: 130 lbs. ÷ 2.2 = 59 kg
    Weight in kg x 0.8
    Example: 59 kg x 0.8 = 47 g of protein
    To boost your protein try the following:
    Try mixing in some cottage cheese or tofu to your egg whites. A 1/2 cup of cottage cheese has 15 grams of protein and gives egg whites a nice creamy texture. 1/2 cup tofu has 20 grams protein. I make a mock egg salad using diced tofu. You can follow any egg salad recipe and just substitute tofu for the egg and add a little extra mustard to give it a yellow appearance. I make mine with a home made tofu mayonnaise. I'll be happy to give you the recipe if you'd like. My family cannot tell the difference with the egg salad and the mayo. Add some flax seeds or pumpkin seeds to your salad. 1/4 cup of each has 8 grams of protein. A six ounce can of tuna has 40 grams of protein. Beef or turkey jerky is rich in protein and low in fat. Hard cheese generally has more protein than softer ones. But all cheese is protein rich and gives you a good calcium boost. If you can splurge a little and are also looking for a boost in your water intake muscle milk makes a protein water. One bottle has 60 calories, 10 grams of protein, and 5 grams of fiber. There are several flavors, grape, grapefruit, raspberry, and orange. Good luck! Hope this helped.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions...also I would try 1% cottage cheese as a snack (16 grams of protein per 1/2 cup serving), or a few slices of deli turkey, also definitely switch to greek yogurt (2% Fage is awesome), sometimes I do a turkey jerkey for a snack too (8 grams of protein per stick - get the all natural ones without preservatives).
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I know you said no on the protien powders, but if you use them a little differently they might help. I use this stuff nutribiotocs makes it is a rice protien powder. It has 12 grams of protien per tablespoon. You could blend it into your yougurt. I add it to my pancake mix to lower the shock of sugar. It really seems to help. The container will last a while if you're not into making shakes several times aday.

I use Vanilla flavored.

you could probably add it to oatmeal too.

Just a thought, outside the box. If you only use one T a day it will last you over a month. I only make pancakes once a week if even so it does last me a while.
    You do, do some kick butt workouts so you need the extra protien, make sure you get enough calories from carbs too.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, nuts, cheeses, you can get some cheaper not as good tasting proteins from walmart and cosco that are iso proteins for around $20... um.. greek yogurt, fish, tuna (i buy the flavoured mini cans.. walmart usually has 2 for $2) chicken extra lean ground beef.. umm... egg whites are good (theres a site that has tubs of them for $50 instead of buying them in a 2 cup carton its way cheaper
  • rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A protein supplement is really economical. A typical can of tuna costs about $1 for 22 grams of protein. You can purchase 2 lb of protein for $20 which will have approx 25 servings of 24 grams each. Protein supps are a bargain IMO. Approx 80 cents per serv.
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    I love whey protein, turkey bacon, baked tilapia with some lemon pepper, tuna salad with eggs, and my favorite dinner right now is one whole egg w/5 eggs whites and some fresh salsa on top yummy :happy: