what to put in protein shakes/smoothies?

Options
i'm vegetarian, and my brother recently got me this really fancy jar of protein powder. i don't want it to go to waste or anything so I'm going to start having protein shakes, but i'm not really an expert. I'm thinking i'll put fat free yogurt, ice cubes, the protein powder, some fruits/veggies, milk?
What are really the limits of what you can put in a shake and still have it taste good? can you put egg whites? And are there certain vegetables or fruits that you shouldn't put in a smoothie? because I live with my parents still and they're the ones who shop and sometimes we only have apples/oranges and veggies like cucumber and stuff. I've heard some people put flax seed or something.
What are your favorite protein shake recipes?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My favorites:

2 scoops chocolate protein powder, 1.5 cups milk, 1 tablespoon peanut or almond butter, handful of ice.

2 scoops chocolate protein powder, 1.5 cups milk, 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules, ice.

2 scoops vanilla powder, 1.5 cups milk, strawberries, ice.
  • joshbond85
    joshbond85 Posts: 28
    Options
    what flavor is the powder?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, you can add avocado for added fat/vitamins/minerals without affecting taste. It also makes it smoother/thicker.

You can also add greens like spinach and stuff. The general rule of thumb with that is spinach is milder and stuff like kale adds much more taste, so start with the spinach and add a little. Increase upwards gradually. If you drop in a pile at first, you will notice a taste, but it seems to be something you adjust too.

PB or any nut butter works too but adds flavour so consider that when pairing it with other things.

i haven't put any other veggies in my shake. I use pretty much all kinds of fruit.

I have never tried egg whites either, but I would assume as long as they are pasturized it is fine and they likely won't add much flavour.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Here's my yummy breakfast shake:

1 cup almond milk, half a banana, 2 tbsp PB2, 1 scoop chocolate peanut butter whey protein, and 1 packet of Stevia. Delicious!
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Ask your brother?
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I make one similar to the one @lemonshodrop listed and it is very tasty. On the weekend I use chocolate almond milk as a treat. Can't go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter.
  • daniellee725
    daniellee725 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I find that smoothies are a great way to get a serving of veggies in without even realizing it. Here's my recipe:
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 cup of water or almond milk
    1 cup of ice
    1 cup of frozen mixed berries (Costco has a big bag for a decent price)
    1 banana
    2 cups of spinach (you can't even taste it, which is crazy! You can sub kale for spinach, but expect that good ol' kale-y aftertaste)
    1 tbs. chia seeds (totally optional, but I like the texture)
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Treat it as an actual meal, a shake is essentially that. Something to help aid you in hitting your macros and making up for things you're lacking in your diet. Be creative, fruits like blueberries and bananas are great choices for carbs so is oatmeal. It's all personal preference just as long as your shake is balanced.

If you want an example, my food diary is open.. Feel free.
  • ykomar
    ykomar Posts: 19
    Options
    My Breakfast Smoothie:

Almond milk- 1/2 cup
    Water- 1/2 cup
    Banana- 1/2
    Hemp Seed= 1 tbsp
    Flax seed- 1 tbsp.
    Parsley- 1/2 cup
    Spinach- 1 cup
    Sunflower seed or almond butter- 1 tbsp.
    Frozen mixed berries- 1 cup
  • clackamas1911
    Options
    My current post workout smoothie

1.5 scoops bioChem natural whey protein (30g protien)
    1 cup kale (I alternate between red and green)
    1 cup spinach
    1 stalk celery
    1 cup cucumber (1/2 tom1/3 of a cucumber depending on size)
    1/4 cup coconut water
    2 medium apples (or 1 pear amd 1 apple)
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Little bit of peanut butter
    Banana
    Almond milk
    Psyllium husk
    Spirulina
    Macca powder