ED triggered! I don't want belly fat after recovery.

Options
I hate the freaking internet! I just came across several articles explaining how during recovery for underweight individuals ALL the fat goes straight to the face and belly. My God, these two places are the reason I stared dieting in the first place! I'm so worried I'm gonna get fat now and I was JUST feeling better about myself.

My nutritionist told me it will all distribute evenly and my body is smart enough to know where to place what. So why the hell do these random bloggers and people on this site particularly as well as CalorieCount have all these terrifying articles of people taking 6 months to two years to redistribute fat and have a toned, flat belly? I'm considering having plastic surgery now. Can you do that when you're underweight?

Just look at this scary article:

"Initially, during the beginning of weight restoration, all of the extra pounds settle in the midsection and show up in the face. This causes a horrifying pregnant belly look and a very noticeable uneven distribution of weight. It's quite unpleasant. Many people actually have a really difficult time with this phase of recovery and end up giving up because they don't believe they will ever look "normal" again.

While I was still in treatment, my therapist had to remind me every single day that redistribution would happen if I gave it time; meaning the weight from my stomach would spread out more evenly among the rest of my body. Honestly, I thought that was a bunch of bologna and continued to be annoyed with my weight gain situation. As if gaining weight wasn't mortifying enough, having it all go to my stomach made it that much worse.

It has been proven that weight redistribution, hunger cues, and general eating habits can take anywhere from 6 months to a year (or more) to normalize."

http://kelsisprogressionobsession.blogspot.com/2013/02/redistribution.html

Replies

• arendiva
    arendiva Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If you are experiencing anxiety and are fearful that you may backslide into your eating disorder it's important that you express these concerns to your doctor and to your family. Having open communication with your emotional support group during your time of transition into a healthy body is essential.

Also remember that the experience of one random person from the internet is not necessarily going to be the same as your experience.

Getting healthy should be your number one priority. if you are concerned that for the first year of recovery you may be too hypersensitive to the physical changes your body undergoes perhaps you would benefit from removing full length mirrors from your home.

Best of luck in your journey to good health.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're a good candidate for plastic surgery if you're underweight. Surgeons would probably turn you down. Being in recovery from an eating disorder is tough! Kudos to you for choosing recovery. You can't believe everything you read on the internet...just focus on your recovery. Weight gain can be uneven sometimes, everyone's different, but things even out in time, you need to be patient. I hope you're seeing a doctor and a nutritionist to help you stay healthy. Are you seeing a therapist? I think you need help dealing with your body image. Best of luck to you!
  • Cartoobee
    Cartoobee Posts: 23
    Options
    If you are experiencing anxiety and are fearful that you may backslide into your eating disorder it's important that you express these concerns to your doctor and to your family. Having open communication with your emotional support group during your time of transition into a healthy body is essential.

Also remember that the experience of one random person from the internet is not necessarily going to be the same as your experience.

Getting healthy should be your number one priority. if you are concerned that for the first year of recovery you may be too hypersensitive to the physical changes your body undergoes perhaps you would benefit from removing full length mirrors from your home.

idk it seems like the collective of recoverers are saying the same thing. but i only have to gain 10 pounds, do you think it will look as dramatic as theirs?
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options

idk it seems like the collective of recoverers are saying the same thing. but i only have to gain 10 pounds, do you think it will look as dramatic as theirs?
    You are very sensitive right now so a lot of things are going to seem very intense and dramatic for awhile. I think a 10 pound weight gain is very reasonable and you will look great when you're through. Be good to yourself and take it easy - one day at a time! I hope you can speak up about your concerns to your support network and doctor(s).
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I know this is hard for you right now. I'm sorry you're going through this and feeling these intense emotions. I don't think 10 pounds will make a huge noticeable difference on someone who is underweight. You will look fabulous!
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    that is exaggerated it doesnt look like a "pregnant belly" as such but you get bloated a lot and to you (as you are disordered) it probably will look and feel that way. ive been there. it evens out it just takes a bit of time to adjust to what you see in the mirror after seeing bones
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Please take this comment in the supportive manner in which it was meant: that wasn't an article. That was a blog. Blogs and articles are two very different animals. Articles are supposed to have some kind of factual information in them when they address a topic like "redistribution" or whatever. Blogs are all about impressions, emotions, and personal thoughts. And, not for nothing, but you might want to avoid going to a blog that calls itself "Progression Obsession." I question the value of the information you'll get from it.

Although the discussion seems similar, the blog is very different from the discussions of "body recomp" that you'll read here. The recomps that people describe are all based on some pretty sound physical theories and are a combination of eating more food, particularly proteins, while trying to build muscle, and doing "cuts" of weight loss when the additional calories add weight. (I know I'm simplifying--there are people who can explain it much better than I can.) The blog seems to be claiming that the fat will flood a particular area before moving on, as if the face or the stomach is a fat type of Ellis Island or something. Your doctor is correct, however. Your body will attempt to distribute the new fat as evenly as possible. You might notice it most in your face, given that the bony structures there make it more noticeable, but in reality "redistribution" is probably more perception than reality.
  • joshbond85
    joshbond85 Posts: 28
    Options
    Every single person will have a different genetic response to the weight gain. I highly recommend getting your exercise from weight lifting as you increase your eating. Your body will respond by building muscle with those extra calories instead of focusing it all into fat stores.
  • erinlikesfood
    erinlikesfood Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There's something amazing about recovery, and that is that it's worth it.

At first you probably won't feel great about gaining weight. It's scary and hard. But you don't just gain weight - you literally gain an entirely new perspective on life. One where you're happier and able to go about your daily life without freaking out about what you're eating or what you weigh. It sounds too good to be true, but it will happen.

You won't get there until you've gained weight, though. Right now is the fear of the unknown. You don't know what you'll feel like when you gain weight, and you're imagining it to be much worse than it actually is.

The weight gain may happen unevenly at first, but there is literally no way to avoid that. It's what happens when you've been starving and you begin eating normally again. It would happen whether you had an eating disorder or were some sort of prisoner of war. But it passes. It goes away. Things become normal again.

In the end you need to trust those qualified to give you medical advice, i.e. your doctors and therapists. Stop reading things online. In fact, I'd advise you to delete your MyFitnessPal account and whatever other fitness forum accounts you have. Everyone in the world will give you different advice, but this isn't a time to listen to opinionated strangers (even me, technically, although having had anorexia nervosa, I feel somewhat qualified to know what works).

Things get better, and recovery IS worth it. Promise.
  • erinlikesfood
    erinlikesfood Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Every single person will have a different genetic response to the weight gain. I highly recommend getting your exercise from weight lifting as you increase your eating. Your body will respond by building muscle with those extra calories instead of focusing it all into fat stores.

Except that when you've had an eating disorder, having low levels of fat is very dangerous. Fat has a multitude of important functions in the body, and when you've been starving, you need to rebuild your entire body, including fat stores. People in recovery from eating disorders are often advised not to exercise or to do only very light exercising, like small amounts of walking or gentle yoga.
  • NikkiX0X0
    NikkiX0X0 Posts: 16
    Options
    How long it takes for weight redistribution depends on the person .
    Where the weight will settle at first depends on the person .

Its worth it .

Plastic surgery isn't necessary . You can get a flat belly with time & patience .

Recovery takes time . Its the best thing ive ever done for myself . Life changing .
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You really should talk to your counselor/therapist about this. Maybe ask if there is an online support or a group session you can join to voice these concerns too.

Just honestly, as you recover, you need to focus on you and working with your team. Seeking advice and such from strangers on the internet isn't a good idea.

Best of luck OP!
  • hlm711
    hlm711 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

At first you probably won't feel great about gaining weight. It's scary and hard. But you don't just gain weight - you literally gain an entirely new perspective on life. One where you're happier and able to go about your daily life without freaking out about what you're eating or what you weigh. It sounds too good to be true, but it will happen.

You won't get there until you've gained weight, though. Right now is the fear of the unknown. You don't know what you'll feel like when you gain weight, and you're imagining it to be much worse than it actually is.

The weight gain may happen unevenly at first, but there is literally no way to avoid that. It's what happens when you've been starving and you begin eating normally again. It would happen whether you had an eating disorder or were some sort of prisoner of war. But it passes. It goes away. Things become normal again.

In the end you need to trust those qualified to give you medical advice, i.e. your doctors and therapists. Stop reading things online. In fact, I'd advise you to delete your MyFitnessPal account and whatever other fitness forum accounts you have. Everyone in the world will give you different advice, but this isn't a time to listen to opinionated strangers (even me, technically, although having had anorexia nervosa, I feel somewhat qualified to know what works).

THIS COMPLETLY.
    Recovery wont mean that your life is always fantastic. You wont always be happy, and energetic and confident. However, I can assure you it will be a damn sight better than maintaining an unatural low weight. I'm still recovering my weight after a relapse from Anorexia, and yes, some days you feel rubbish about your body. But so do people who have never suffered from an ED. Just like victoria Secrets models will too sometimes!
    Numbers on the scales are clear, easy to define and perfectly measurable. The human body is never these things.
    Good luck with your recovery. It really does get better.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    For me I didn't necessarily put more belly fat on than I would expect (although it is the place I tend to store most of my fat anyway) but I was VERY bloated a lot of the time. Thankfully that and digestive problems as well as the bulimia puffy face are well and truly gone.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    not everything you read on the internet is true :)

Stay healthy! Do not let your eating disorder win. You are stronger than that
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have been in recovery for over 2 years now and doing great. The road is hard but so worth it. Yes it is common for weight to go to stomach first to protect organs and almost all in my group experienced this but it doesn't last long and when you least expect it it shifts on its own just as they told me it would. Our bodies are great they know how to take care of us. It takes awhile. I had to gain and yes it was fat first no exercise allowed then I started toning through exercise that was supervised. This winter I coached my hometown ski team and competed clocking in at 68mph and It was so awesome I was so fit I took first in 2 events. I had to forget looks and avoided mirrors. I hated the way I thought I looked but I wanted to be strong and healthy much more. I turned to my team NOT internet and let them have the control. It was hard at time and I had to be honest at all times with them and the reward was beyond anything I could dream It was life and so much more. Hang in there and look deeper forget looks for awhile
  • russkiballerina
    russkiballerina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Talk to your psychiatrist ASAP. I'm having the same exact problem but a bit different. Have been in recovery for about...gee, I don't know, since I was 19, I am 26 now. A few relapses here and there, nothing serious, then my pituitary got shot bcs of a brain tumor/SE of radiotherapy from yrs ago; they put me on steroids and I am actively getting moonface/fat deposits. Haven't been able to eat consistently since getting out of the hospital 3wks ago - so I'm prolly getting myself checked outpatient psych very very soon, seeing as I'm quite tall and already bordering on relapse AGAIN :( So if you need to msg me to talk to someone, I'm here for you *waves*

Weigh restoration is an INSANE process and it's never, ever linear. But you seriously need to stop reading this stuff on the internet as nothing is ever really accurate (you'd be surprised at the amount that is actually written by people with actual DIAGNOSED EDs - it's close to zero, people love diagnosing themselves via google/webmd "oh I under ate two weeks ago, must be anorexic teehee") and also the amount of "scientific articles" that are written by people who have never set foot in a Medical School in their entire existence. Seriously. Nope out of the internet while you're in that phase. That's the best advice I can give you.

(Btw, it takes a bit for redistribution, but nowhere close to two years)

Talk to your psych and maybe go to an endo to get your levels checked out. No exercise at this point because it might trigger stuff, as you might already be aware, but you can speed stuff up if you get the approval of both your psych and your endo - if taking long for redistribution will trigger relapse, they WILL take it seriously and won't joke around with "oh maybe more therapy" or "take this other ssri" - believe me, I've been there, they don't want you in the ICU, they don't want to tube you and they don't want the liability - so you be frank and honest with them, and you nope out of the internet for the time being.

Stay strong.
  • Cartoobee
    Cartoobee Posts: 23
    Options

I think I will delete this account because most of the 'help' I get is bull****. My dietician told me everything I read about fitness online isn't true, including this whole thing here.

I only have to gain 10 pounds so it won't be as dramatic

I'm not in any death danger just yet thats why Im eating more, so no in retrospect I probably won't get a fat stomach cause I'm not absolutely emaciated.

**** it. No offense to those who gained a big belly and it redistributed later, but I think they were much more severely anorexic than whatever ED I have (physically, I mean). Cause I always have eaten a lot of food. I'm not feeling bloated. I just assumed I would instantly gain but you know what everyone is different and I'm not listening to these online forums anymore. No offense again, but I don't think i should expect to gain weight crazy cause 10 pounds is NOT the 30 pounds these other girls have to gain. Not to mention when I was 10 pounds heavier I looked exactly the same. i guess i answered my on question
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I, personally, think you need help for your attitude as well as your ED. Your ED is no excuse to c*ap over the time people here have taken to offer heartfelt and genuine advice and help.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    You really should talk to your counselor/therapist about this. Maybe ask if there is an online support or a group session you can join to voice these concerns too.

Just honestly, as you recover, you need to focus on you and working with your team. Seeking advice and such from strangers on the internet isn't a good idea.

Best of luck OP!

^this