Gym Etiquette - Smith Machine Circuit Training

Options
_MG_
_MG_ Posts: 453 Member
I've been using the same Machine-Only Beginner Workout since January and I'm looking to change and try something different. I use Jefit and saw a Smith Machine Circuit Training workout but have a question...

Is it bad gym etiquette to tie up one of the two Smith machines for that long? The routine goes:

Squat x10
Lunge x10
Bent Over Row x12
Deadlift x10
Shrug x12
Upright Row x10
Bench Press x10
Close Grip Bench Press x10

Rinse, repeat for 3 sets.

Thoughts?

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    in before "its wrong to use a smith machine."

As logn as you let people work in when they want to, no problem.
  • oldantired
    oldantired Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Since the bar only moves vertically I'm not sure how you would perform a lunge.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    next time you work out keep an eye on the Smith and see if it even gets regular use. at a couple of gyms i train at the thing can sit there unmolested for hours at a time. if it gets used a lot, tying it up for an hour is rude.

that said....

lunges are easy to do on the Smith. but deadlift and bent rows suck, IMO. more to the point, that routine sounds terrible on a Smith. it's not really gonna be a circuit cuz you're gonna have to change the weight constantly and you;re gonna have to hope no one else wants to use the bench that you're going to need at the end of each round. i don't like this circuit at all.

if you really really really wanna do it tho, just sub in DBs for the smith, take them to an open spot, and circuit train to your hearts content. DBs will work 1000x better for this particular routine with the added advantage of taking a step towards leaving your machine based noob routines behind you.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    next time you work out keep an eye on the Smith and see if it even gets regular use. at a couple of gyms i train at the thing can sit there unmolested for hours at a time. if it gets used a lot, tying it up for an hour is rude.

that said....

lunges are easy to do on the Smith. but deadlift and bent rows suck, IMO. more to the point, that routine sounds terrible on a Smith. it's not really gonna be a circuit cuz you're gonna have to change the weight constantly and you;re gonna have to hope no one else wants to use the bench that you're going to need at the end of each round. i don't like this circuit at all.

if you really really really wanna do it tho, just sub in DBs for the smith, take them to an open spot, and circuit train to your hearts content. DBs will work 1000x better for this particular routine with the added advantage of taking a step towards leaving your machine based noob routines behind you.

I'm not comfortable with standard free weights yet when it comes do lunge, press, squat so was looking for something else. Never considered dumbbells. Thank you.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    It's one thing if you are actually using the machine..it's completely different if you are "guarding" a machine.

There are 2 squat racks at my gym...this one guy spends ALL freaking day on one of them (it's everyone's favorite one); it's fine when the other one is free...annoying when the other one is not free. To his credit, he does use it at a time of day when the gym is pretty empty. It isn't often that both are in use.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

that said....

I'm not comfortable with standard free weights yet when it comes do lunge, press, squat so was looking for something else. Never considered dumbbells. Thank you.

You know the best (IMHO) way to get comfortable with something like free weights? Start using them. The dumbbells sound like a great gateway tool to the barbells.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Yeah definitely try using dumbbells instead for everything you can if you dont want to use barbells, it is much better for you biomechanically.

That being said, I will still use Smith machine for shrugs since my gym does not have a machine or proper bar, the squat racks are usually in use and I go heavy. With heavier weight it becomes apparent how bad the machine is though: in doing the shrugs with 355 and heavier weights the whole machine tends to start to wobble and shift. It would not do this unless it is trying to force the weight through a specific range and there was another stronger force pushing it through a different range...meaning it does not match my range of motion at all biomechanically and pushes on me outside my normal range of motion, this translates to angular forces on joints in addition to the weight on the bar. Even with a light weight it is doing the same thing, you just will not see it because the force you exert with lighter weights is not enough for this to become apparent.

Also, as to the etiquette question, it is definitely not cool to hog any machine for 3 sets of 8 different exercises no.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    tylerdeadlift_zps75599d9f.gif

prenchpress_zps7221b2dc.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Does that little boy even crossfit?