Seriously considering at stopping the logging.

Options

Replies

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    What works for you is what works for you. Everybody is different. Me? I'll be logging the rest of my life. The discipline works for me.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • beccachick71
    Options
    I reached goal and maintained it for about five years. Then BAM life happened, four family members died in 18 months and here I am coming out of my grief about 35 lbs heavier. Two things I did to get me here? I stopped attending my TOPS meetings and I stopped logging my food. I am not saying that you can't keep your weight off forever, I seriously thought I didn't need either of those things since I had been at maintenance so long. In normal circumstances, I didn't --but life happened and with the grief--I really didn't care. So here I am again trying to lose weight and get healthy----this time I realize that I can not stop my accountability measures no matter what, because when life happens, it can really throw you for a loop.

Ultimately, it's up to you though.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging once.

Did it require a surgical procedure? Or did you just start logging again on your own?
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's the painful thought of having to log for the rest of your life, a year ago I didn't even know what a calorie was, and yes I'm actually half the person I used to be (120s kgs to the 60 kgs ), and I believe logging has left me with a slight food disorder, but of course i'll keep on the scale, if I notice i'm out of control, then can always return back to logging, just like to try the final step and just enjoy life like other thin people. :)
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think constant logging in the long-term just slows down your metabolism, keeps you feeling cold and miserable, and even unplanned weight loss.

How would logging your food slow down your metabolism??? Or lead to an unplanned weight loss??? Assuming, of course, that you're eating to an appropriate daily surplus of calories.

Letting your body tell you when it's time to eat, and not your diary.

Hmm... This is what got me at 232, so good for you if it works, I'll stick to this!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    It's the painful thought of having to log for the rest of your life, a year ago I didn't even know what a calorie was, and yes I'm actually half the person I used to be (120s kgs to the 60 kgs ), and I believe logging has left me with a slight food disorder, but of course i'll keep on the scale, if I notice i'm out of control, then can always return back to logging, just like to try the final step and just enjoy life like other thin people. :)

I'm one of those "thin people" who enjoys life...

...and have been logging consistently every single day for three years now.

I would propose that it may not be the logging that is keeping your from enjoying life. Is it possible that at ~132 pounds (down from ~264 last year) that you're now at an unhealthy weight for your height/frame? Perhaps your protein or fat consumption is too low? Maybe you have a dietary deficiency from eating the same foods too often? I'm just guessing here, but it seems to me to be more likely to be something besides logging.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Dear Spider,
    Thank YOU!!!! Ive been waiting for this day to come!!!! Because the day you quit logging and counting food is the day that I can start living large again. We all know that by stopping being accountable for what you eat could very well end up with you eating more food and gaining the weight back, therefore letting me become a HUGE part of your life again, so lets stopping logging and start hogging!!!!
    Your friend, Fat Gut
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Dear Spider,
    Thank YOU!!!! Ive been waiting for this day to come!!!! Because the day you quit logging and counting food is the day that I can start living large again. We all know that by stopping being accountable for what you eat could very well end up with you eating more food and gaining the weight back, therefore letting me become a HUGE part of your life again, so lets stopping logging and start hogging!!!!
    Your friend, Fat Gut

I get what you're saying, but...BUT...

...he's an adult male who weighs 60 kg (132 lbs). I don't know his height, but unless he's a fairly short dude, he's currently underweight. I'm not saying he should stop logging, but that there are some things he needs to consider changing. For example, some strength training, eating at a slight surplus (which, by the way, logging will help with doing this correctly), and reevaluating his overall nutrition to name a few of the most obvious things.
  • DoubleR_Boss
    Options
    Man you eat all kindz of sodium and sugar...ALL KINDZ!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Then go for it and stop logging. If you start gaining weight, cut back on your portion sizes or start logging again. Simple.

When I am finished with my bulk/cut cycles and am finally happy with my body composition, I will also stop logging. But I can understand if people want to count calories for the rest of their lives. Different strokes for different folks.
  • ginslife
    ginslife Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different I realy just needed an easy way to see my protien ratio I was already losing weight on my own with excercise and eatling less of bad stuff plus I had to modify my diet to lower my bad cholesterol I had lost 35 pounds Then I plataued and was stuck at 170-175 for awhile so I added weight training and did more excercise 60 minute group classes and some days doing tredmill and weights now I am at 160 Now that Ive added weights and weight training I was concerned about my protien intake Now that I have been logging I have decided I need protien suppliments I just can not eat enough food to get the protien I want without eating too many carbs or fat I have can have the fat in nuts and fish and natural penut butter I do my best to avoid partialy hydrogented oils and realy never eat fried foods which I realy got dilligent about 6months ago when my tryglcyerides where very high Logging makes it much easier to see how much protien and fat Im getting Sorry for the long winded comment Fitness and diet have just recently become consistent for me I always excericised here and there but I didnt change my diet enough Needless to say Im slightly obsessed after losing almost 50pounds I just started logging here this week up until my late mid twenties I didnt have too many weight issues I was never skinny but I was not considered fat either Im 42 now I started getting seriously consistent with excercise about 2 and a half years ago
  • ginslife
    Options
    Oh and now my tryglycerides are much lower Mainly from not eating fried foods and avoiding partialy hydrogenated oils and switched to mega krill suppliments instead of fish oil Also lowered my carb intake
  • ginslife
    Options
    I am a little obsessed but I know denying your self food is bad and well eating too much food is bad I just try to keep in balance now So I will not let it turn into a food disorder I am just taking control and being more aware of what Im doing Like now I wont go eat at a buffet place I still eat Pizza Hut from time to time I have a piece of chocolate every now and then and it doesnt make me fat I just have to keep myself in check and logging helps me do that It is much easier than trying to do it in my head all the time LOL
    And now I am peri menopausal and having memory issues so I realy have to write stuff down more to remember it lol No hot flases or night sweats Just digressing memory and irregular periods Sorry TMI
  • ginslife
    Options
    Maybe he doesnt want to see he is not eating enough calories and likes to be skinny To each is own I wouldnt mind being 135 My husband is a runner and very lean he weighs about 155 160 and is only like 5.7" or 5"8
  • ginslife
    Options
    Im glad your doing better and keeping life in balance it sounds like Yeah I wasnt realty concerned with calories more concerned with my protien levels I have lost almost 50 pounds in 2 and half years going to the gym 2 to 4 times a week sometimes doing solitary work outs sometimes at Zumba and trying to eat what I know is a blanced diet 3 dairy 4 to 5 vegetable and friut (I suck at that one ) 2 to 3 meat and 4 to 6 grains Not over eating and stuff like that What realy got me losing weight was consistant excercise Consistent excercise has been the key for me Im more obsessed about excercise than calories But I try to keep that in balance too
  • ginslife
    Options
    Regardless of logging There are certain foods I dont eat anymore french fries chicken tenders fried chicken hamburgers from fast food places candy bars milk shakes frappachinos to much fat and sugar together lol that kind of stuff I think I have eaten french fries 2x in the last 3 months realy thats the only fried thing I have had Except fried fish once at home hmm
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    How can logging slow down your metabolism and make you cold? Being too thin might, but logging can't.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I guess to each his/her own but I don't see any issues with logging and tracking my journey. The thing that helped me is pre-logging for a week then make changes if needed. With the phone app, it's not problem for me.
  • laratacita
    laratacita Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Was there ever a logical answer to how logging slows down a person's metabolism?