Weight loss causing achy ribs??

Options
I've lost 11 pounds kind of quickly from a juice cleanse and then using myfitnesspal for post-cleanse food tracking. A couple of days ago my ribs really started to ache. It isn't the same pain as a chest pain, which is sharp and acute. It's kind of a broader area and a duller ache, more annoying than painful but it still hurts. It mostly happens on my sides. I haven't been exercising at all so I know it isn't muscle soreness, and it feels different anyway. I'm drinking plenty of water and sleeping well, too.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Never experienced it but i will say...

Please Go See A Doctor!

Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • Delaware_Jen
    Delaware_Jen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's not hunger? I have had that sensation before even when my stomach felt fine, and that's what was causing it.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    gas???
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Not all chest pain is acute - it can be a dull pain and still be quite serious

aksmedadvice_zps78d583e9.jpg
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    I've lost 11 pounds kind of quickly from a juice cleanse and then using myfitnesspal for post-cleanse food tracking. A couple of days ago my ribs really started to ache. It isn't the same pain as a chest pain, which is sharp and acute. It's kind of a broader area and a duller ache, more annoying than painful but it still hurts. It mostly happens on my sides. I haven't been exercising at all so I know it isn't muscle soreness, and it feels different anyway. I'm drinking plenty of water and sleeping well, too.

Absolutely get to a health care professional! Chest pain is nothing to ignore. Having done a juice cleanse, your electrolytes could be in a deficit and if so, can have dangerous consequences. NA and K+ are extremely important for muscle function. K+ is especially important for your heart and even a small upwards or downwards measurement in it can hinder your heart's ability to pump effectively. Calcium may also be depleted. Please get to a doctor.
  • joep1968
    joep1968 Posts: 2
    Options
    fat turns into muscle which weighs more and tightens as you gain it. regardless whether you think you are not exercising you are. the simple things we do each day from getting out of bed to walking from room to room.

as to the soreness the skin is shrinking back around the muscle you are now formig and can cause some discomfort,as well as the growth of muscle stretching out ward.. if it concerns you i would see a doctor for advice.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    fat turns into muscle which weighs more and tightens as you gain it. regardless whether you think you are not exercising you are. the simple things we do each day from getting out of bed to walking from room to room.

as to the soreness the skin is shrinking back around the muscle you are now formig and can cause some discomfort,as well as the growth of muscle stretching out ward.. if it concerns you i would see a doctor for advice.

no. Fat does not "turn into muscle," nor does muscle weigh more than fat. Actually your whole post is nonsense.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    no. Fat does not "turn into muscle," nor does muscle weigh more than fat. Actually your whole post is nonsense.
    Would you say that air weighs the same as lead? Or that "lighter than air" doesn't exist?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Not all chest pain is acute - it can be a dull pain and still be quite serious

aksmedadvice_zps78d583e9.jpg
    This. And I'd say go to the emergency room.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Would you say that air weighs the same as lead? Or that "lighter than air" doesn't exist?
    Okay, where do you come up with these silly illogical tidbits that make no sense?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Okay, where do you come up with these silly illogical tidbits that make no sense?
    What's illogical about it?

If you asked 1000 people if lead and air weigh the same, how many do you think would say they did?
  • kickanddown
    kickanddown Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I said it is NOT chest pain. It is much lower on my torso and on my sides, closer to my stomach than my chest. I've been looking it up, it seems I'm not alone. Other people report experiencing achy ribs with weight loss too. I'm just curious about how it works and if I should be doing something different (like drink electrolytes or eat more bananas, that sort of thing). In all the other situations i read, no one seems to have an answer.
  • kickanddown
    kickanddown Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's not hunger? I have had that sensation before even when my stomach felt fine, and that's what was causing it.

This is the most reasonable and likely thing I've seen yet! It does seem to happen more easily when I am hungry, like normal hungry just before lunch time. I'm really trying to eat smaller meals more frequently through the day, maybe it will help. And thanks for saying you've felt it before, I know this is tied to my change in eating habits somehow, it's just nice that someone understands. :smile:
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have this too, although it's more just sore to the touch around the bottom of my rib cage where the muscles attach. Was going to see if it settles otherwise phone docs..
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

achy ribs usually result from an elbow in the gut, but this kinda sounds serious.
    you really should go have that checked out :ohwell:
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    What's illogical about it?

If you asked 1000 people if lead and air weigh the same, how many do you think would say they did?
    Well, I'd say it doesn't matter, because this is the same as asking how many people rotate the air in their tires, or some other silly thing. In the context of the discussion, it appears that you are trying to be obtuse.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

This is the most reasonable and likely thing I've seen yet! It does seem to happen more easily when I am hungry, like normal hungry just before lunch time. I'm really trying to eat smaller meals more frequently through the day, maybe it will help. And thanks for saying you've felt it before, I know this is tied to my change in eating habits somehow, it's just nice that someone understands. :smile:
    No, actually-and no offense intended-this is not the most reasonable reply here, it's just the one that most fits what you wanted to hear, that nothing is really wrong. You also don't know it is tied to your change in eating habits, but you suspect it is.

Really, I would email, call, or go to the doctor because what you are describing is not normal. It could be nothing, or it could be something that needs attention.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    never heard of this but again I have never lost big amount of weight either.