Anyone else training for a 5K / 10K?

Options
crfeen
crfeen Posts: 85 Member
I'd love some friends that are training for a 5K or 10K. I've found it really helpful for me to have tangible goals other than a number on a scale. Right now (sadly) I'm at 45 minutes for a 5K. I'm planning on running one in September and I'd love to get this down to 30!!

What are your goals?

Add me as a friend to motivate each other!!

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    A 15 minute jump in 2 months time is pretty ambitious, I would maybe work that goal to something a little bit more achievable...say break 40 minutes. I am not saying that getting to 30 isn't possible, but in 2 months with a 45 minute original PR is a bit ambitious. It took me a year running to go from 35+ to sub 30.

My current goal right now it finishing my first full marathon, which is in December.

Good luck with your 5K in Sept.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 5.6k in a week and a half. I'm just aiming to finish! Fastest time 45 minutes, but I'm training under wildly different conditions, so I have no idea if the actual race is going to be tougher/easier. I hope easier...
  • SquishyLaughter
    SquishyLaughter Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just completed week 3 of a C25K program. As soon as that is complete, I will be doing a 5K, I hope to have my time at 45 minutes. I need to lengthen my course though, currently in my training I am only at 2.3 miles for my runs/walks. Next week going to up it to 3.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    A 15 minute jump in 2 months time is pretty ambitious, I would maybe work that goal to something a little bit more achievable...say break 40 minutes. I am not saying that getting to 30 isn't possible, but in 2 months with a 45 minute original PR is a bit ambitious. It took me a year running to go from 35+ to sub 30.

This.
    A 45-minute 5K is a good time. Concentrate on doing your best and you'll do great.
    It took me a year to go from a 50-minute 5K to my current 38-40 minute 5K. Speed takes time.
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K last week. I'm signed up for my first 5K in early October and my time so far is 42 minutes and change. My plan is sprint intervals at our local track to increase my speed a little.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am so glad the other first timers seem to be aiming for a similiar time to me, I thought I was being too slow!

So, yesterday I managed to do 30 minutes super slow running without stopping, then did faster running and walking for the last 15 minutes. I've never tried running so slowly before, but I think it was my best run overall. Really trying to nail this pacing thing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Right now (sadly) I'm at 45 minutes for a 5K. I'm planning on running one in September and I'd love to get this down to 30!!

Can I just check, is that a continuous run time or are you run/ walking?

If you're already continuous running then what I found as the best way to knock time off my 5K was to train for 10K. That said it's taken me 9 months to knock ten minutes off my 5K time, with the first seven of that coming off very quickly, and now a real challenge to improve much.
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to train for a 10k. My fastest 5k time has been around 40mins. By doing longer distance I hope to increase my speed. My next 5k will be in Sept. So lets train together.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I did a 5K in May in 29 minutes. Now I want to do a 10K in August. I cannot train a lot because of an injury but I try to cross train a lot. I hope to do it in under 1h. Any minute faster would make me very happy!