Is it better to run before or after breakfast?

Options
I like to run in the mornings after I wake up, but often times I wake up somewhat hungry. I am faced with the dilemma of running or eating first. So is it better to run right after I wake up on an empty stomach, or waiting until after eating breakfast and letting the food digest?

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    It's up to you really, whatever works best for you is what is better. Some like to run fasted, others like a bit o fuel before going out.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I can't eat a big meal before a morning workout. I just eat something small and not to heavy, like grab a go-gurt :) LOL. Otherwise if I eat to heavy my stomach will get upset.

Best of luck,
    Joanna
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Your body will get accustomed to whatever routine you chose. Recently I've stopped eating breakfast, I used to feel so hungry in the morning and now I'm not hungry until noon time. If you give your body a routine and do it for several consecutive weeks, you'll feel comfortable whether you're eating before or after you work out!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry eat something small to tide you over. I don't do much morning running, but will often drink a some milk or have an egg before heading to the gym. I can't imagine running right after eating a full meal. That sounds like it would make my stomach upset.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I recently went the gym after a giant meal and had an amazing workout, so I've started fuelling pre-run. I don't eat a lot, maybe half a bagel and some hummus, but I now always eat something. I think I'm gettiing better results.
  • ssbmacdaddy
    ssbmacdaddy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a snack like teaspoon peanut butter and a apple or banana. The bulk will satiate and the nut butter will make you feel more full longer yet will not fill you to the point of cramps. I love the nut butters because they are not as caloric as you think a teaspoon is 37 calories yet holds hunger off for hours. Either way it's calories in and calories out. Make sure u stay in your caloric range.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning, at lunchtime and at about 5 or 6 pm too. Often twice in one day. Because of my weird schedule i have to eat before i run. Since I run so much afternoon and evening my body became accustomed to having food in my belly when i run so even though i used to run fasted in the morning it became uncomfortable. I do coffee, oatmeal made with milk and a bit of pb2 sprinkled in and fruit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me running after eating is not a good idea, but if it's light food, it's fine - some toast or something.
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    On a work day I go for a run at around 5:30am. I'm never hungry that early anyway but I take a sports drink or coconut water to have during the run. Afterwards I have a protein shake and a proper breakfast (eggs, beans, toast, bacon etc or cereal, fruit and yoghurt).

I do my long runs on days off and I have a light breakfast (something like a small piece of toast with peanut butter or an apple and a slice of cheese) early in the morning, let it go down for an hour or so then go out around 7-8am. I still have the protein shake and a proper breakfast afterwards, though maybe slightly less if I'm not that hungry.

Both ways seem to be working fine. I did try a little while ago running in the afternoon, a good 4 hours after an average-sized lunch, and I felt really heavy and uncomfortable.

I guess it depends on what you get used to, and whether you're an early bird or not!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I wake up at least an hour before heading out the door and eat a small meal. This also allows me to take care of bathroom stuff before heading out so I don't have to interrupt my run! Then I have a real breakfast when I get home.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Leave it up to personal preference, lifestyle, and performance considerations.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I run fasted during training (before breakfast) to train my body to use fat for energy during my runs. On longer runs, running fasted also stimulates the growth of your glycogen stores which in the long term will provide more energy for your runs. It takes some practice, but your mind and body will get used to running fasted. Any run below an hour doesn't require you to eat anything. I personally can run up to 2 hours plus and bringing with me nothing but water. Oh, one other point, I do drink a cup of coffee before all my runs. Gotta have coffee. :-)

There's a little bit of science that you can read up on when it comes to eating before a race to maximize your performance. Race day is different than training. I go by what the Runners World Big Book of Marathon and Half Marathon Training which states no more than 600 calories of quick carbs 3 hours before your race (or 200 cals 1 hour before your race). Others swear by the book by Matt Fitzgerald (New Rules of Marathon and HM Nutrition). I don't have that book tho. But either would be great books to get on the subject.
  • mammahawk25
    mammahawk25 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run as soon as I get up in the morning and eat breakfast afterward. I don't like the feel of food in my stomach when I run. On the rare occasion I may have a banana or something.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I wake up at least an hour before heading out the door and eat a small meal. This also allows me to take care of bathroom stuff before heading out so I don't have to interrupt my run! Then I have a real breakfast when I get home.

I do the same thing. If I don't eat anything I get REALLY hungry. And getting hungry in the middle of a long run isn't a nice feeling.

Everyone is different, you have to figure out what works for you :)
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yes, its better to run before or after breakfast :o)

Personally I'll have a protein shake or a piece of fruit and then I head out.
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i woke up this morning had two fried eggs (used cooking spray) and waited a 1/2 hour before doing a 40 minute run on my treadmill. I find that when I have eaten, I can run a long time. In fact, I felt I could have gone longer, but had to get on with my day.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You can run with food in your stomach as long as you are staying in your aerobic zone (which is what you should be doing anyway). My go to was peanut butter toast. However, if you don't want to eat before your run that is fine too. It really is a preference thing.
  • riadhdeb
    riadhdeb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Before on empty stomach
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options

I do the same thing. If I don't eat anything I get REALLY hungry. And getting hungry in the middle of a long run isn't a nice feeling.

Everyone is different, you have to figure out what works for you :)

I also find it helps me fantasize about what to have for breakfast during the run without feeling hungry, haha! (a thread a couple days ago asked about what we think about when running...yeah...I would say food is high on that list, especially during a long run!)
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    When I run in the morning I split my breakfast in half: one for before running and one after.

I ussually get myself 400-500 calories for breakfast, so it might not work for people that have tinny-tinny breakfasts/

For example, before the run I would have 200 ml al skim milk or a yoghurt with 2% fat, with enough oats to make 150-200 calories. Then, after I run, I'll have two eggs cooked in some way (meaning either boiled or scrambled, I never cook eggs with oil or butter) with a slice of bread or some meat, and maybe a tomato or a cucumber to fill the calories until a reach my limit.