Healthy Apple Crisp Recipe?

Options
Gary6030
Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
Does anyone have a healthy low calories apple crisp or some type o crisp recipe. I've been craving apple crisp all day. My mother's is the best but it will put my system into sugar shock. Any ideas or recipes? Like most people I love the crisp part the best.

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Bake some apples with cinnamon until soft.
    For a topping, toast some raw, whole oats. If your calories allow for it, add some toasted, sliced almonds. Sweeten the topping if needed (I need sweet) with a little Splenda or Sugar (or whatever your sweetener of choice is). Sometimes I'll give it a couple of sprays of I can't Believe It's Not Butter to make it bind up a little and add a butter flavor. (Again, this is optional and your choice, as some people don't want to use anything processed, etc). A blob of frozen Cool Whip Free on top makes a nice little Ice Cream substitute too.

Apples = fruit
    Oats - whole grain
    Almonds = good fat
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Mmmm that sounds so good and making apple crisp healthy wouldn't that just ruin it? :smile: I think I would make your mother's recipe and just eat a smaller portion but then again that is just me. How does your mom make it, my mom's recipe is brown sugar, oatmeal, butter and seasonings, I would love to have another alternative.
  • LynzReedee
    LynzReedee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use 2 bags of frozen fruit or you could probably give probably use fresh. top it with one yellow or white cake mix (dry). On top of the cake mix pour a can of diet sprite on top. Bake it at about 375 until the cake mix is done...usually 20 minutes or so.
  • BriannaSkye
    Options
    I use 2 bags of frozen fruit or you could probably give probably use fresh. top it with one yellow or white cake mix (dry). On top of the cake mix pour a can of diet sprite on top. Bake it at about 375 until the cake mix is done...usually 20 minutes or so.

That sounds really good, does the soda cook the cake properly without adding egg?
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My mom makes something similar, using butter instead of soda. She calls it a "dump cake". It makes for a yummy, crumbly topping. However, Gary asked for "healthy"; and i wouldn't call a cake mix "healthy". It's a lower cal, lower fat option. But, not healthy by any means.
  • LynzReedee
    LynzReedee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes Briana, it does cook the top properly.
  • amyogirl
    amyogirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many calories are in a serving? Sounds really good! Thank you for posting!