Trying to pick up men or women at the gym. Bad or good?

Options
kindel2
kindel2 Posts: 67 Member
Picking up men or women at the gym what do you think? Bad or good?

I was looking something up on google and seen this (link below). I wondered what others would think and feel about this. Like if you could tell someone would be receptive to your advance, is it still a good idea to do it at the gym? If not at the gym how-when-where would you make your interest known?
The Right Way to Pick Her Up at the Gym :http://www.mensfitness.com/women/dating-advice/the-right-way-to-pick-her-up-at-the-gym

Replies

• bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    i dont like talking to anyone in the gym. but my friend seems to be able to meet women all the time this way.
  • kindel2
    Options
    Hahaha but isn't the church for worship? My cousin suggested I go to church to meet men haha.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Conspicuously absent from the list: have your friend give her your phone number and confuse two countries that are on the brink of war.

In my defense, I wasn't even trying. I just used a guest pass to go to a class with my friend because she had been bugging me to try it out. I didn't really pay attention to anyone in particular... I was too busy being self conscious about being the only guy in the class. A week later my friend tells me that "The Russian Girl" was asking where I was. She explained that I wasn't a member, but I worked out running roads and trails, had my own home gym, etc.

So I allowed my friend to try to do "something". The next time the class met, she gave "The Russian Girl" a piece of paper with my number on it and said it would be great for us to meet because "He's Russian just like you!".

Except she's not Russian... she's Ukrainian.

Which if I was really Russian it would matter, but the extent of my Russian-ness is that I used to go to a Russian church, but it will still count against me.

Surprisingly my phone has not rung.
  • kindel2
    Options
    dtimedwards- well try giving her your number instead. Mabe she just thinks your friend gave her your number without your permission. Which would be embarrassing for her to call you and you not know who she is. I say meet her in person and try to talk to her.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It's too late for that now. Plus, I'm not a member, so there's no way I'll join a gym I don't need for a girl who already thinks I'm some type of weird imperialist that is trying to take over her motherland.
  • kindel2
    Options
    oh wow
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'd hate it.

I picked my gym carefully to avoid running into people I know (e.g. colleagues) so I can be as relaxed as possible. If someone hit on me at my gym, it would make me feel awkward and you shouldn't feel weird at a gym. You should feel comfortable making a fool of yourself - hard to do that when you think there is at least one person watching you.

I suppose if the person you're hitting on already looks super fit, they probably don't have the above issues.
  • mrfreestyle
    mrfreestyle Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Hahaha but isn't the church for worship? My cousin suggested I go to church to meet men haha.

Actually it's well known that church is actually one of the best places to meet future mates. As for the gym, that's a no no. A gym is a singular place that serves a singular purpose.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Nope nope nope and NOPE.

This is bad. If I ever get hit on I will shut that s**t down so quickly. Time and a place people!

That said, in my gym there's certain times which seem to be more social. Going anytime after 8pm at night and it's more like a place where people go to chat etc. I guess if people are wanting to pick up, they would probably go at that point rather than the straight before/after work crowd who are just in - out, and want to get the workout done and get on with their lives!
  • farmgirlrrt
    farmgirlrrt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much they weigh and how much you can pick up. All kidding aside; I would go with a no on this one.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much they weigh and how much you can pick up. All kidding aside; I would go with a no on this one.

I was going to make this joke, but you beat me to it. This round goes to you.
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I would hate it if someone tried to talk to me at the gym. I go there to improve my body and work up a sweat, so not an ideal environment for me to be flirting in. I prefer to flirt when I have my hair done and wearing a cute skirt and heels :)
  • kittykat11111
    Options
    You all make good points, but wouldn't you want to meet a like minded person? And if you're there to improve your body, chances are they are there for the same reason. I see nothing wrong with it, and if he's attracted to me when I look my worse, then it can only get better!
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    You all make good points, but wouldn't you want to meet a like minded person? And if you're there to improve your body, chances are they are there for the same reason. I see nothing wrong with it, and if he's attracted to me when I look my worse, then it can only get better!

True. I don't know, it just feels weird to flirt at the gym. I do agree with the like minded part -- I really love hiking, and a friend of mine suggested that I go on a trek across the White Mountains using the AMC's hut system and see who I meet. That is more appealing to me than the gym, and I guess it is because the gym just always seems so serious.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've seen: 2 people hook up at gym. Things are fine for awhile. Break up happens. Person who is more sensitive leaves establishment because they can't seem to cope that their ex still works out there along side them.

Personally, I've never seen a hook up at a gym last. That's just from what I've observed though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • farmgirlrrt
    farmgirlrrt Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I was going to make this joke, but you beat me to it. This round goes to you.

Thank you, sir!
  • Surly71
    Surly71 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This guy tells you how not to pick up chicks in the gym - its tongue and cheek...makes me laff anyways!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvHbnhl3M8
  • kittykat11111
    Options
    Here's what I've seen: 2 people hook up at gym. Things are fine for awhile. Break up happens. Person who is more sensitive leaves establishment because they can't seem to cope that their ex still works out there along side them.

Personally, I've never seen a hook up at a gym last. That's just from what I've observed though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

It's because it's a hook up....a hook up isn't supposed to last!! It is what it is, but if you meet someone you can carry on a conversation with and you're attracted to...then it could work.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    No, I really hate being hit on at the gym. Besides the fact that I'm Married, it's just very uncomfortable. I try not to make eye contact with anyone there. My gym is all mirrors, on every wall. So it's very obvious when someone is watching, so I just go to another machine or area.
  • p8liwag
    p8liwag Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym I make sure I bring my earphone and bast my workout song and ignore my surrounding. Gym is my alone time to focus on me, but when a guy do approach me I simply decline as nice as possible because we'll still see each other at the gym again. Hi and bye, keep it moving :-)