Average Heart Rate

Loki182
Loki182 Posts: 31
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been reading lots of posts and I have seen several people mention that they wear heart rate monitors while doing any kind of exercise but my concern is:

1) Exactly how do I calculate my calories burned based on my heart rate... and
2) How do I determine what is a good normal safe heart rate while exercising for my age/weight etc...

I only ask because for as long as I can remember my heart rate seemed way too high while exercising and that kind of scares me. At the gym while running on the elliptical my heart rate usually averages around 190~195 bpm. It sometimes goes over 200 but I am not sure exactly how far over because the machine seems to error out and starts showing nothing or some ridiculously low number whenever it gets that high. While I am at rest it is usually around 75 bpm which I am pretty sure is close to average. Is this something that I should be concerned about or will this number start to come down once I start getting back into exercising regularly.

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Your-Target-Heart-Rate

Check out this link to figure it out.
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    You can go online and look up what your target heart rate is by your age, height, and weight. There is even a method to calculate calories burned by heart rate but it's very complicated in my opinion. If you get a heart rate monitor, the HRM figures it for you. You program the HRM with you personal information and when you wear it to exercise, it keeps up with your heart rate and figures your calories burned. It's worth the investment! My husband gave me one for Christmas and I have been surprised at how much I've used it. The one i have beeps when I'm in my target zone and lets me know if I drop below or go above the target. I love it!
  • I've been looking into this too because my heart rate stays around 190 while doing running/walking intervals. Everyone says that it's way too high, but I'm still able to function normally and don't feel like I'm over exerting myself. I know anemia and a ton of other health problems can cause the high heart rate.
  • Loki182
    Loki182 Posts: 31
    Ok I went ahead and did the math and I'm pretty sure I could achieve the lower number just by flapping one arm while I sit at my desk. I don't know I mean according to that formula my Max is 192... and I average higher than that. Oh well.. I guess I'll just keep on keeping on and see what happens.

So can anyone reccomend a good brand or model of HRM to look at?
This discussion has been closed.