Vitamin Supplements

Options
I have recently been put on some vitamin supplements (including Iron) by my doctor.
Looking for professional advice here.... if its available.

when is the best time to take the supplements? (or when is the least beneficial time to take them)
Morning....
Evening
at meal times
with food/without food

Wanting to make sure I get the most out of them, so I start feeling better sooner rather than later.
I have read different theories, ie take in the evening so you can absorb the most out of them while you sleep, but have also read not to take them at night because the metabolism slows down at night so you don't absorb as much out of them than if you had taken them first thing in the morning.

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    After food and depending which one you are taking not close to bed time - some vitamins might spike unwanted energy and hence keep you awake most / all night.
  • Libbysh78
    Libbysh78 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks.
    My main concern is the Iron tablets and getting the most out of them.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi. I take mine in the morning to avoid them keeping me awake. Also it's a good idea to take Iron alongside some viamin C (maybe with a glass of orange juice or a vit c suppliment), as vit c helps with the absorbtion of Iron.
    P.s the iron tablets might give you a poorly tummy for a while but stick with them and it will go away eventually.
    P.p.s forgot to say, try to avoid taking the iron with tea or coffee as some of the compounds found in them can prevent proper absorbtion.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Here may be of some help http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/what-is-the-best-time-of-day-to-take-vitamins - Your body will never absorb all the vitamin in a tablet this is why people say they make for expensive urine. This said vitamins are a supplement and support your diet (they should not be used as the sole source.

Specifically for Iron absorption - take on an "empty stomach" as the stomach acid aids in the absorption. Generally either 1 hour before a meal or 2 hours after as a "general rule". There is I will say anecdotal evidence that iron absorption is assisted with citrus juice (Vitamin C) so you can add a little to the water. Tea and coffee inhibit iron absorption - it is absorbed in your small intestine.
  • Libbysh78
    Options
    Thanks. Taking a general Woman's Multi and drinking juice for Vit C and what ever else I might be lacking.
    Will start taking them with Breakfast from now on.
    Dr tried to put me on Ferrogard again, but I wasn't having a bar of those.
    I've found Floradix and so far after about 3 weeks, no side effects. Long may it last!!!

Have been told caffeine reduces the absorption of Vit C... so trying to cut that out (not going so well though!)
  • Libbysh78
    Options
    Thank you.
    Great Link.

I'm upping my red meat intake and taking the iron tabs as a way to kick start getting back to a healthy level of iron stores (and feeling less like a zombie). Then hope to cut out the iron tablets and maintain through diet.

I appreciate the advice everyone has given.
  • charlottedutton
    Options
    when I was pregnant I was told to try get more iron so was eating spinach every day. when they took my bloods during labour they were really impressed n said my iron was plus 10 whatever that means. I also ate red meat couple times a week. ive started eating spinach again now but more reason being because its only 29 calories per 100g as well as being healthy :D
    single vitamin or mineral tablets work better with food and with a multi vitamin to help carry the single supplement or take with something that's got a variety of vitamins in to help carry it like chicken/beef n mixed veg soup/stew/salad.