Protein

Options
Do any of you use protein shakes to get the required levels?Im on low fat diet due to orlistat so have to be really careful that Im not having more than 5g per 100g in an item.If you do use what makes are best for uk?High protein,low fat and low carbs&sugar food ideas too please.

Replies

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Yes I do use them. I'm not from the UK but go to any nutrition store or website that sells protein powder and ask for Whey Isolate Protein. It will generally only have 0g of fat, and only 1-2g of carbs.
  • Pebblespooch
    Pebblespooch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Also meant to ask do they taste ok?I find alot of shakes taste weird
  • NikkiX0X0
    NikkiX0X0 Posts: 16
    Options
    If you want a great tasting shake I would try Trutien from bodynutrition .

They also make a really good protein pudding but that's a lot higher in carbs , I think 15g . While the trutein shakes are around 3g .

I also like the way Cellucor PB Marshmellow whey tastes .

And Optimum Nutrition Cookies & Cream .

The already mixed muscle milks from the store are also really good if but pretty expensive .

If you werent on a lowfat diet id say that mixing PB into almost any shake improves the taste , but that would probably be too high in fat .
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    And Optimum Nutrition Cookies & Cream .

I'll second this brand. I highly prefer the Extreme Chocolate Milk flavour, but they're all amazing.

Anyway, if you want low fat: low carbs: high protein in something other than a powder:

1. Egg Whites
    2. Chicken Breasts, skinless and boneless

Simple.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    optimum nutrition is the answer, period.

However I would say vanilla is the best flavor to go with just about anything and taste the best.
  • Pebblespooch
    Options
    I have to wait till next pay day but wanted to look into it in advance. Thank you for your replies, I will look into it. Any ideas of what I can do wit egg whites? I don't really like eggs on their own as a snack
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have to wait till next pay day but wanted to look into it in advance. Thank you for your replies, I will look into it. Any ideas of what I can do wit egg whites? I don't really like eggs on their own as a snack

Mix it with plain chicken broth, add veggies and spices and drink it as a hot soup.
  • CrystalX82
    CrystalX82 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I add egg whites to my shakes, though they have to be the pasteurized ones in the cartons! Shakeology and Optimum Nutrition Natural 100% Gold Standard whey have been my faves so far. SunWarrior is also a great, clean brand.
  • meluhneekay
    Options

Mix it with plain chicken broth, add veggies and spices and drink it as a hot soup.

Not OP, but I never considered mixing egg whites with broth. Great idea! Thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • Pebblespooch
    Options
    Yay!They've arrived.I got Optimum Nutrition gold standard 100% whey chocolate and lean whey chocolate milkshake powders.So how many scoops should I have in a day? I had one of gold standard this morning with milk,need to try with water as well. I got the lean to have later in the day,is that ok?Im eating whole foods but struggling to get protein up as can't afford enough meat and fish