Seriously considering at stopping the logging.

Options

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Just to think, logging food and keeping records is really only for beginners, I mean I really needed the information when I started 10 months ago, but these days, I just estimate what I eat, know what foods to avoid or eat less off, And I only now log everything at the end of the day and never find myself going seriously over my limit.

I think constant logging in the long-term just slows down your metabolism, keeps you feeling cold and miserable, and even unplanned weight loss.

If you stopped logging, how would you know if you are nearing your goals? And how does logging lead to slow metabolism and unplanned weight loss?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you have 0 weight to lose and feel your eating is fine, then by all means quit logging. That means you got it figured out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Does this fall into the ACE scope of practice code? I'm studying for the GFI exam, and trying to figure this stuff out.

I agree with it as an individual, but want to know if that's something I'm allowed to say.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Just to think, logging food and keeping records is really only for beginners, I mean I really needed the information when I started 10 months ago, but these days, I just estimate what I eat, know what foods to avoid or eat less off, And I only now log everything at the end of the day and never find myself going seriously over my limit.

I think constant logging in the long-term just slows down your metabolism, keeps you feeling cold and miserable, and even unplanned weight loss.

If you stopped logging, how would you know if you are nearing your goals? And how does logging lead to slow metabolism and unplanned weight loss?

Everyone's different, loggin keep me eating too little, I develop some sort of guilt when I go over, of course just increase your calorie limit with I do, but within a week later i end up having to bring it back down again believing I'm eating too much, then the cycle goes on, I'm eating too little, I have not found my maintain number yet, and already had 18 pounds of unplanned weight loss from it,

and no whoever said I was 60kg, no way, I'm 68kg, just said I was in my 60s, I was suppose to stop at 75kg, but the water weight flucations bothered me so I let my drop to 70kg, so from 122kg to 68kg, well I near half the person I once was. The underweight range for it is below 59kg, and it's in sight, so at this stage, i cannot afford even a single day to eat too little.
    Unlike being obese, that's a was choice I don't have anymore.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love food too much and don't have the self control to stop logging. It might take years before it happens, if ever. I'm ok with that.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    For me, the logging keeps me accountable, even if I eyeball just about everything now. Like you said, it's easier now once you know how to eat properly, workout, and so forth.

I know when I stop logging, I don't really pay as much attention to what I eat/do.

This. Still logging after 2 years!
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I lost 56 pound via logging. Then I got cocky ..... Two years later I'm doing it all over again.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options

How would logging your food slow down your metabolism??? Or lead to an unplanned weight loss??? Assuming, of course, that you're eating to an appropriate daily surplus of calories.

Letting your body tell you when it's time to eat, and not your diary.

Anyway my eating habits have changed completely, I eat completely different foods these days, im happy with it, it's just common sense how to control your eating habitswhen you do when you been already been logging for over 200 days like me.

MFP doesn't tell me when to eat. I eat when I need to and log it wherever. Heck - yesterday I accidentally logged my breakfast in the dinner spot and didn't put anything in the breakfast spot at all! Oh nos!

In all seriousness, though - congrats on getting to a point where you feel that you don't need to log anymore. As someone who has been logging for nearly 400 days, I find that logging keeps me honest. I do NOT need it to tell me how to eat sensibly. I already know that. But when I'm not logging, I find that I will have 'a bite of this' and 'a bite of that', and pretty soon, I've eaten over maintenance via sneaky bites. I need to continue logging because without it, I am not as honest with myself.

If you don't feel you need it, then congrats and good luck. :)
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options

It's sounds to me you need a recovery diet. Google Matt Stone's Diet Recovery. Basically you forgo your ways of restriction, get a lot of food and rest and you'll find your body has to time to heal and become energy balanced again.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    If you want to stop logging then stop logging. Keep weighing yourself on regular intervals to make sure you stay in maintenance.

I stopped logging and maintained for about 18 months. Recently I've put on a few pounds beyond the normal fluctuations. I started tracking again to re learn how much is enough and how much is too much.
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sad thing for me is that I only log when I know I stayed within my caloric amount. But when I go over (and know I did), I don't log. I just don't want to face it, which of course is the whole point :)
  • OhioCXgeek
    OhioCXgeek Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't let the logging control you. I was like that at the beginning, feeling guilty if I went over, tearing the cupboards apart to meet the calorie goal. You are already doing the hard part, and that is eating correctly.

For me it's the accountability like others have said. It's also the routine. If I fall out of my routine, it could lead me back to where I started. I'm a mechanic, so to me, this logging is another tool in the toolbox helping me towards my goal. If I don't need it, I don't need it. But it is a tool I use all the time, and I am in control of it.

Hang in there! :smile:
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I thought I would log forever when I was losing but having hit my goal weight & maintained for a while I took my hands off the handlebars & now haven't logged for 3 months,

I log in every day and log my exercise so we'll see how long that lasts,

do whatever you need to do folks, we're all reforming/ed food junkies which means we're vulnerable
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think I've changed my mind, I've already started stacking off with the logging and suddenely gained over 3 pounds, and havent got enough infomation recorded to work out where I got wrong.

Oh well, lesson learnt, worth the thought, and well done to anyone that successfuly has done it..
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think I've changed my mind, I've already started stacking off with the logging and suddenely gained over 3 pounds, and havent got enough infomation recorded to work out where I got wrong.

Oh well, lesson learnt, worth the thought, and well done to anyone that successfuly has done it..

Sometimes hearing things from others isn't enough, we have to see it/experience it for ourselves.

Good for you for learning that big lesson before things went too far awry! Now you can add commentary from first hand knowledge when someone else makes a post like yours in the future. :flowerforyou:
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I know I'm logging for life and I'm totally ok with that, when I stopped last Oct I thought I'll be ok, I went through Christmas and was ok I weighed every 2 weeks but then Jan, Feb and Mar were realky wet and miserable and I wasn't walking as far and winter comfort food was on the menu.
    By the end of Mar my jeans and work trousers were tight so I weighed, which I'd gotten slack on too, and I'd gained 6lbs so I went straight back to logging and in the last 115 days of logging I got back to maintenance and have moved my goal down another 7lbs but I'm going slowly and I've actually decided to maintain for a few weeks just to have a little break and see how maintainance feels, but I've seen how those cals can creep back on and I'm not going to be one of those people who in 5 yrs time has 30 lbs gone back on, I'm not losing weight again in my life, but I will always be accountable and know what goes into my body and I more than happy to log what I eat to keep this shape I have now.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am almost at goal weight and plan to keep logging in the rest of my life. Food and calories have a habit of doing sneaky stealth attacks on humans, and I have no intention of letting that happen again.

Took the words right out of my mouth ... I am close to goal also, and I plan to continue logging on mfp and in my little "book" daily. That is the only way I can even conceive of keeping the weight off is to rely on keeping track of what going in for food and what goes out by exercise. I am sorry for myself, cuz I can't trust myself, and I will NOT go back or slip back to where I was.

I applaud you though, OP, if you can do it without keeping daily track ... more power to you. I just know that I, and it sounds like a lot of other people, can't.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Oh happy day ... another successful end to a post :))
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Personally, I'm not convinced that +3 isn't a step in the right direction...but only you can decide whether or not this is true for you. Either way, logging will give you the data you need to make a more informed decision about what to do next.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Every single time i stop logging.. I GAIN weight.. ug.. so like maybe i stop for a few days or a week or 2.... but at least i should check in once a week or 2 weeks and if my weight went up. i just start logging again..
  • kmerrick1
    kmerrick1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I haven't done this for long, but I truly love logging in. I not only see what calories I have left. I can also enter in my exercise and see how I am doing on this and that. I also love it because I can see what foods are the best for me. This is just my opinion.